• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What are the purpose of emotions?

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Emotion is the purpose, the reason. I think without them life doesn't have meaning. Could we live without them? Maybe we'll live, but we wont be alive. We dont look at things and only see colors, lines, patterns, we see ourselves in them. Emotions are perspectives personified...

"The human race is filled with passion. And medicine, law, business, engineering, these are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life. But poetry, beauty, romance, love, these are what we stay alive for. To quote from Whitman, 'O me! O life!... of the questions of these recurring; of the endless trains of the faithless... of cities filled with the foolish; what good amid these, O me, O life?' Answer. That you are here - that life exists, and identity; that the powerful play goes on and you may contribute a verse. That the powerful play *goes on* and you may contribute a verse. What will your verse be?" -Dead Poets Society

Via DulceRefrain

(1) "Emotion is the purpose, the reason. I think without them life doesn't have meaning." and "Emotions are perspectives personified."

"I'm in agreement. We as human beings have our emotions to help guide us in life. They are a compass point. If we are experiencing some adverse emotional state then it is a key for us to look within. Chances are our unconscious has been triggered. It is also a blind spot. Now is the opportunity for growth by dealing with the situation in a realistic and non-negative way. lightsun

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Thank you :) I definitely value reason/logic as well, but I think that emotions have a very important and necessary role to play in our lives. Valuing emotion gets a bad rap because people associate emotion with lack of control, impulsive and reckless. Something to ignore in favor of a level head. And sometimes emotion is like that, not even the most logical person can avoid that feeling, though they'd try. But overall, if you regulate and manage your emotions they wont control your life in a negative fashion, they'll enhance it and balance it. We need to allow ourselves to feel, to go through things, in turn that vulnerability can make us stronger and wiser. So we can understand how to deal with things instead of shutting off.

Oh, other than the quote that was just me talking c: But if you'd like to read more things on the value/purpose of emotions I could certainly try and find something for you? :)

Edit: also I love that article ^^

"What are the purpose of emotions?' (All quotes are DulceRefrain followed by my reply).

(1) "...definitely value reason/logic...I think that emotions have a very important and necessary role to play in our lives."

We are emotional beings. I've always been fascinated by the feeler-thinker dichotomy. Our unconscious rules are actions that's why as Carl Jung says, "“Your vision will become clear only when you look into your heart. Who looks outside, dreams. Who looks inside, awakens.” Carl Gustav Jung (1875-1961). It is our job for those upon a path of learning and growth to make as much of the unconscious, conscious and not be ruled by emotional triggers.

(2) "Valuing emotion...associate emotion with lack of control, impulsive and reckless."

Good positive emotions are healthy and to be sought after. The negative emotions are opportunities for growth provided the person disciples themselves and deals with the situation using reason and critical thought. That means to definitely not be susceptible rather be on the lookout for rationalizations, emotional reasoning, denial and blind spots.

(3) "...regulate... manage your emotions they wont control your life in a negative fashion..."...enhance...balance..."

I walk upon the path of Agape compassion and reason. I seek to not act out negatively and definitely not repay negativity with negativity. Then I'd be triggered, acting out blindly and being susceptible with an emotional trigger. Then my unconscious is ruling me, governing and dictating my actions. I refuse for I have an internal locus of control and take self responsibly to act with reason and not irrationally. The trick is to focus on objective facts not emotional subjective emotion.

(4) "...vulnerability can make us stronger... wiser. So we can understand how to deal with things instead of shutting off."

It takes an amount of emotional healing and maturity to reveal vulnerability. It does enhance our human connections.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
They are there and are not going away any time soon.

Or maybe they're here. Point is that it's everything that influences them both into being and how they develop (nature/nurture etc..) but there is an immutable sense of groundwork that appears to dictate emotional degrees.

It's true that the heavily emotional can learn a more measured, and I suppose, logical way of being, but you cannot conflate that with being able to achieve the same status as those who experience a more measured emotionality (and therefore more inclined towards the logical) in a natural sense. And vice versa for the measured wanting to understand emotional content better.
It's just a series of half imagined graspings, attempting to bring into conscious attention that which can only ever be truly incorporated through indifferent unconsciousness, by looking elsewhere to the place you assume you need to be looking. And then of course there are the experiences as we develop.

How very important the early years turn out to be and how typical to find that so few actually find them important until after the fact, the fact being when they have damaged their own children just as they were themselves damaged (See? We all have an inheritance no matter how rich or poor). Pulling up by the bootstraps only works when one has been given bootstraps to begin with.

That's the importance of social responsibility towards ourselves and others which is now lacking because we've worked so hard to dismantle it. Confusing it for a lie due to ambiguity, this idea that what cannot be grasped (like the sweets in the fist of a greedy child) is to be discarded or cut out.

And so any emotional depth becomes part of a distrusted cynicism about the world, with a paranoid angle on human experience as a trap lying in wait. Once this is achieved all that remains is the miserable, the unhappy angers and hatreds of conflictual engagement. Conflict is temporary and often quite brief, when it is prolonged the effects are terribly damaging (as any student of history could tell you).

And these kinds of unhappy existence are not to be confused with the aspects of melancholy. Melancholy requires space to breath, to rest at just the right distance from the world. Too far and and you can't see anything, too close and you can only see what is immediate and fleeting (in the most destructive sense). When there is that space (metaphorically or not as one often has to allows themselves the space) one is able to appreciate a kind of sadness with epiphany, that engages aspects of empathy without over-reliance. That brings into the picture the finalities of mortality, the pains of existing, the awkwardness of disconnection with others & the agonies of loss...to name but a few.

That, at least, appears to be one purpose of emotion.

There are also angles of the stereotypical big questions.

Emotional purpose.......purpose, now there's a word with a strong history and an even greater future. That nature of seeking purpose, the why of existence, it's purpose.

Removed from only utility, purpose might just be the single most important aspect of emotion. Without emotion purpose also ceases to exist.

So for one person, at least, that is a purpose of emotion.

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
"Sometimes I wish humanity could act with just reason like Mr. Spock of Star Trek. This isn’t reality. The danger with emotions are they stem from the unconscious and we can become triggered and act out. This or emotional reasoning where we rationalize our behavior giving in to our base primitive emotions and not acting with reason. Emotions are part of the human experience. However when people act irrationally giving in to their base emotions their (1) thinking contains distortions in reason. (2) A person is most likely projecting their own issues of unresolved personal baggage. They are (3) reacting to the situation and not thinking clearly.

One fallacy in reasoning is a cognitive distortion called emotional reasoning. It goes like this. I feel it to be so, ergo it is so or else true. This is a fallacy and a gross human error in judgment lacking use of critical thought. A good key one's (4) blind spot has been (5) triggered is if one has a negative emotion. If I have a negative emotion then it signifies an internal problem. These are old unresolved issues not yet addressed deep in the psyche. I have had my bind spot triggered. A fear or my (6) ego has been triggered. Therefore I may act irrationally defending a point with verbal and perhaps physical violence, to defend my 'truth.' Rather than acting out against reality like the blind men, look within and correct your reasoning.

"I have the analogy of the warning engine light in a car. It is a warning and Gage point of an internal disturbance. It is a reflection of unfinished business and unresolved conflict. Our emotions are being triggered. If I have a negative emotion, and my body is not directly being affected there are distortions and fallacies of thought and cognitive reasoning. The negative emotion and the warning engine light are synonymous.

In a sense we are not awake yet. A goal is being more aware in both cognitive science and Buddhism. Both cognitive therapy and Buddhism imply that we really need to wake up by being more aware of how we think, speak and act. We in effect take personal responsibility and act with an internal locus of control. This is an opportunity for growth however if we reflect and take pains to act with reason and not react towards reality in an irrational manner or by being negative. In this way we discover the falsehoods and think and act more in accordance with reality.We become aware of our subconscious thought process and do not react blindly in an automatic fashion.

We become more truly aware of both ourselves and reality and so grow mentally, emotionally and spiritually. We become awake and reach a heaven on earth, nirvana and personal self-actualization. The bottom line really we will become happier in life. It is with this handy tool that one can learn and modify one's behaviors and actions in acting with reason, not giving in to the base primitive emotions and acting out negatively and irrationally. So our emotions are a necessary tool for our growth and make life worth living for without emotion everything would pale into meaninglessness."

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
"Sometimes I wish humanity could act with just reason like Mr. Spock of Star Trek. This isn’t reality. The danger with emotions are they stem from the unconscious and we can become triggered and act out. This or emotional reasoning where we rationalize our behavior giving in to our base primitive emotions and not acting with reason. Emotions are part of the human experience. However when people act irrationally giving in to their base emotions their (1) thinking contains distortions in reason. (2) A person is most likely projecting their own issues of unresolved personal baggage. They are (3) reacting to the situation and not thinking clearly.
Actually, the highlighted is closer to reality than you think, and a wish I share. What makes it so is that Spock is part human, which means he does in fact have emotions (not sure 100% vulcans are completely free of them, for that matter). He has learned, however, not to allow them to cloud his thinking or to control his actions. Some of the best moments in the series (I'm going mostly by TOS and first handful of movies) come when we do see the influence of his emotions, even if he is reluctant to admit it. That is all we can ask of everyone, but I don't think it is too much to ask.

rav3n

Emotions are a universal thing across advanced animal life (At least in theory) and I was thinking on the possible reasons for emotions existing as I reasoned they must have some purpose for existing, I have many ideas but I shall hear from the rest of you and interject my theories as they go along :) to get any debate going.
IMO, they're the product of evolutionary survival conditioning over millions of years. They're called instincts in animals since animals live in fight/flight environments, hence don't have the luxury of time (or for many, the cognitive abilities) to make rational decisions.

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Actually, the highlighted is closer to reality than you think, and a wish I share. What makes it so is that Spock is part human, which means he does in fact have emotions (not sure 100% vulcans are completely free of them, for that matter). He has learned, however, not to allow them to cloud his thinking or to control his actions. Some of the best moments in the series (I'm going mostly by TOS and first handful of movies) come when we do see the influence of his emotions, even if he is reluctant to admit it. That is all we can ask of everyone, but I don't think it is too much to ask.

I posted this on a thread. It represents my unfathomable...I do not know what words to describe. But my feelings of aghast when I see human irrational statements either in speech or writing that contain a whole litany of cognitive distortions, lack of disciplined thought and spreading negative emotional laden subjective projections (Which are their own unfinished business projected unto the world).

“An idealistic wish. I would design a species that held critical thought and reasoning as part of its DNA structure and practical application. I would create a species that uses reason and critical thinking as a natural part of their life. It would just be ingrained as the natural order of things. Such a simple concept could prevent so much misery. We are a rational yet irrational species. We are subject to our primitive emotions. If we were rational beings practicing mental discipline such as mindfulness as a matter of course and also possessed the gift empathy then we would not be prey to rationalizations, denial and emotional reasoning.

These along with blind spots produce great ignorance and the evils perpetuated on this earth. There is a genetic component to committing what are labeled acts of evil but that is the minority. I believe most evil is produced by these exact variables: rationalization, denial, emotional reasoning and blind spots. I've always been a proponent of strengthening Agape compassion with empathy skills training as well strengthening our critical use of reason. One without the other is crippled. Too much evil has been done in the name of love.

This is because of blind spots, emotional reasoning, denial and rationalization. A mindful approach is to be aware of our sub-conscious thinking and rooting out distortions of thought can help us think and act with the use of reason. We would finally be an awake and self aware species with insight into ourselves, others and our planet.”

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
Emotions are a universal thing across advanced animal life (At least in theory) and I was thinking on the possible reasons for emotions existing as I reasoned they must have some purpose for existing, I have many ideas but I shall hear from the rest of you and interject my theories as they go along :) to get any debate going.
Just don't create cybermen or anything. :)

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Emotions are integral in the decision-making process, discerning preferences, and assessing threat level and unfulfilled needs as well as adding nuance and meaning. They basically drive everything we do. Have you ever felt so uncomfortable in a situation that you just bolted? Or enjoyed an activity so much to make a hobby of it?

However, people can overrely on their emotions as a way to justify or excuse behaviors to the detriment of productivity and progress.

Tengri

I'd like to answer this with two separate examples related to the current context of human emotions.

I recently read a mostly entertaining (and occasionally eye-opening) little book by the well-known animal behaviorist Mark Bekoff called The Emotional Lives of Animals. Bekoff stands in stark contrast to objective, evidence-based scientific research on animals and a conservative, hard-nosed behaviorist community ( a la Skinner & friends) by advocating that non-human animals - ranging from self-aware primates to corvids and parrots down to rodents and possibly reptiles - are not simply mechanical, sensory-driven organisms, but richly diverse in feeling and identity. His storytelling is heavily based on anecdotes and personal experiences, which he argues tells a fairer story of emotive animal life, much like psychology for humans explores the paramechanical minds of humans. One story focused on elephant matriarchy, caring for calves, and the seemingly culture-like community that includes mourning and funerals to graveyards and holding/sharing multi-generational memories of helpful humans. In this section he claimed that elephants are notorious for feeling (with a capital F) extraordinarily loudly and deeply and that researchers have categorized types of feeling wholly alien in their complexity compared to humans.

My second example is a much more serious exploration of cognition and feeling: Peter Godfry-Smith's Other Mind: The Octopus, the Sea, and The Deep Origins of Consciousness. Again focusing on feeling animals, Godfry-Smith sheds light on mollusc evolution and the currently enigmatic minds of octopus, squid, and the startling cuttlefish. The author is time and again enamored by first-hand accounts of diving in Octopolus and being led tentacle in hand (literally) on a tour; unusual battles between territorial males; and most impressively, the convergent evolution of complex emotion, what he terms fuzzy, mental "static," and the vivid and colorful signaling of what he turns to philosophy to describe as an expression of the alien mind without. His use of anecdotes is similarly consistent, but he peppers his account throughout with related studies and philosophy. The most memorable section of the book deals with his relationship with cuttlefish and how he resists in all but words to define their awareness and how they respond to another feeling, thinking mind. The brief stories he tells portray these - what at one point when illustrating octopus motility and the disconnected nervous system, as brains floating in the sea - cuttlefish as feeling internally, expressing in bright colors externally (consciously or not?), and when they decide to suddenly recognize or completely ignore your existence altogether.

What Bekoff and Godfry-Smith illustrate in their vaguely disparate accounts is that pan-species emotion exists and is not only comparable to humans, but sometimes like in the case of Orca and elephants, may exceed it in neural complexity. Bekoff suggests and believes fairly strongly that recognizable emotions in animals are not anthropomorphisms (in fact, he encourages people to identify and sometimes label shared feelings with pets and animals), but divergent forms of similar emotional expression. Godfry-Smith, on the other hand, is amazed at how something so specific i.e. like maternal nurturance or communitarian affection to mammals can arise in molluscs, who are alien minds by contrast, and evolved through hundreds of millions of years as separate individuals, without community. My own opinion about human emotions straddles this line: feeling is basic sensory response interpreted by self-awareness (as opposed to temporary or fleeting self-awareness in molluscs). To complicate it further, humans are highly social and cooperative struggling with a mind-body-language divide and identify (or need) to exist as individual and member of a community, never separate. So feeling is both internal and sympathetic, like minds reaching across the opaque deep.

draon9

Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so
There are some things logic just cant do. Without emotions we would not be able to share times of joy and happiness or maybe at times we understand one another to build a stronger bond. Without emotions we would not have heros like joan of arc dr king and samson to inspire us to do better. Emotions is not always the best ploy but your emotions makes you human