• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

41. The structure of DNA appears to be intelligently designed, what are the implicati

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
41. The structure of DNA appears to be intelligently designed, what are the implications?

Red Ribbon

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It's not intelligently designed. There are no implications.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think in a science thread, the onus of the argument is on the OP.

What proves that it is intelligently designed, and by what intelligence?

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
citation, elaboration, etc?

How are you defining intelligence?

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
"If DNA is 'intelligently' designed or have the appearance as such creationists will point to a divine architect. Nothing can be proven. Hypothesis: everything is interrelation with each other. The cell structure cooperate to enhance their survival. This approach identifies instinct on a primordial level without the need of a God."

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, there is a difference between being intelligently designed and appearing intelligently designed. Or is there? ... I don't know.

I too would like to see some citation.

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Well, there is a difference between being intelligently designed and appearing intelligently designed. Or is there? ... I don't know.

I too would like to see some citation.

It came off a philosophy site of questions. There was no further reference. As for your question, yes I do believe there is a significant difference between actual intelligence and the appearance of intelligence.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The average person has about 100 loss of function variants in their DNA, with about 20 genes that are completely inactivated. That doesn't seem like a very intelligent design.

It is pretty amazing, though. I like drawing analogies between DNA code and binary code with computers. The basic structure of DNA changes, is after all, like computer languages, relatively simple, but it gives rise to such complexity.

Permabanned
"If DNA is 'intelligently' designed or have the appearance as such creationists will point to a divine architect. Nothing can be proven. Hypothesis: everything is interrelation with each other. The cell structure cooperate to enhance their survival. This approach identifies instinct on a primordial level without the need of a God."

The average person has about 100 loss of function variants in their DNA, with about 20 genes that are completely inactivated. That doesn't seem like a very intelligent design.

It is pretty amazing, though. I like drawing analogies between DNA code and binary code with computers. The basic structure of DNA changes, is after all, like computer languages, relatively simple, but it gives rise to such complexity.

it's simple

rav3n

How intelligent would it be to create DNA where 99% of it is unexpressed?

That's like building a house and walling off 99% of it.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
How intelligent would it be to create DNA where 99% of it is unexpressed?

That's like building a house and walling off 99% of it.

This reduces the chance that a copy error will mess up something important. So this aspect is not "unintelligent," so to speak.

Mole

Permabanned
41. The structure of DNA appears to be intelligently designed, what are the implications?
Intelligence has nothing to do with it, intelligence design is a result of those who can't bear to give up their belief in their particular God, so they cast around for any tatty reason to believe in their God.

And the argument for intelligent design is made in bad faith, for intelligent design is made to fill the place of creationism. And as creationism is no longer believed in the face of natural selection, the believers fall back position is intelligent design.

It is immensely sad and frustrating that believers are so entranced by their particular religion that they grasp onto any false theory that seems to support it.

Mole

Permabanned
But look, when we design a watch or an atomic bomb, we use our prefrontal cortex. So intelligent design requires a prefrontal cortex, the universe does not have a prefrontal cortex so the universe or God does not design anything.

We have been enormously successful in discovering where things came from, and do far there is no sign of an Intelligent Designer.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
But look, when we design a watch or an atomic bomb, we use our prefrontal cortex. So intelligent design requires a prefrontal cortex, the universe does not have a prefrontal cortex so the universe or God does not design anything.

The universe does actually have a prefrontal cortex. It's located in the Horsehead Nebula.

Mole

Permabanned
The universe does actually have a prefrontal cortex. It's located in the Horsehead Nebula.

Sure, some believe in the Horsehead Nebula, and some believe in the God with three heads called the Trinity, and some believe in the God Ganesh, the God with the head of an elephant, and some believe in mbti. All have different heads: a horses head, three heads, an elephant head, and no head in the case of mbti.