• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Dual Booting Windows 10 & Linux Mint

Wunjo

Maverick thinker.
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hello there, I wish everyone well.

I have a question to ask, how I can dual boot Linux Mint with Windows 10? Currently, I have Windows 10 installed in my computer as the OS, yet, as a person who got bored by bugs and issues of Windows, I plan to switch to Linux while using the computer for my personal amusement and browsing, whereas I'd still like the keep Windows 10 in my system and choose one of them as the OS while I am booting my computer.

Any help / guide is going to be appreciated.

Cheerio.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You can either partition the disk, or just boot off of a USB distro.

Dual Boot: Guide To Install Linux Mint Alongside Windows

I believe for a Live USB distro you can just follow the first steps for creating the USB boot drive and never install.

Tater

My machine has a dual partition of Windows 10 and Kali Linux. The installation will work differently depending on the particular Linux distribution you want to install. For example, Ubuntu has an installer that does a lot of the work for you.

To install the Linux partition, I first opened the BIOS and disabled "Secure Boot."

Then, I inserted a USB distro, went into the BIOS, and changed the settings so the USB distro had the highest priority when booting.

Afterward, I booted into the Linux distro, opened a terminal, and entered the command "gparted." This should give you a GUI window, allowing you to make a suitable amount of free space for your new partition. If you prefer, Windows 10 gives a similar utility if you search "partition" on your taskbar. I personally think Kali Linux has a better option with the "gparted" command (and you probably have that tool on Mint too). It allows you to more closely examine attributes of the partitions on your disk, overwrite portions of the disk with zeros, etc..

Finally, I restarted the machine, and when the GRUB loader presented all its options, I selected the option to install.

Again, with Linux Mint, you'll probably have a different experience, such as a more user friendly installer, but you could probably follow some of the steps I took to install it.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hello there, I wish everyone well.

I have a question to ask, how I can dual boot Linux Mint with Windows 10? Currently, I have Windows 10 installed in my computer as the OS, yet, as a person who got bored by bugs and issues of Windows, I plan to switch to Linux while using the computer for my personal amusement and browsing, whereas I'd still like the keep Windows 10 in my system and choose one of them as the OS while I am booting my computer.

Any help / guide is going to be appreciated.

Cheerio.
Why do you want to keep Win 10? When I first started using Linux, it was still WinXP for most people. I considered dual-booting, then took one look at linux in "trial mode" using a bootable USB, and decided to go 100% linux. I haven't missed Win since.

Wunjo

Maverick thinker.
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Why do you want to keep Win 10? When I first started using Linux, it was still WinXP for most people. I considered dual-booting, then took one look at linux in "trial mode" using a bootable USB, and decided to go 100% linux. I haven't missed Win since.

I have some applications & games in Windows I might need and those are not compatible with Linux.

Falcarius

The Unwieldy Clawed One
MBTI Type
COOL
Falcarius used to dual boot when he was a noob at Ubuntu about 5 years ago or so but now just uses Ubuntu. From what he remembers it was easy enough to partition, but in the end he had to start again on a cleared formatted hard-drive and transfer important documents to external hard drive otherwise Windows kept spazzing out; not sure if that is the case with Windows 10 as it must have been Vista what Falcarius was using at the time.:mellow:

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have some applications & games in Windows I might need and those are not compatible with Linux.
Can you run these under Wine, or a VM?