• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Solar Eclipse - August 21, 2017

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Visible in the United States, although mostly along a particular band.
Two Minutes Of Darkness With 20,000 Strangers | FiveThirtyEight

Kind of interesting in terms of the logistics and how an event like this can have an impact on society for one day. I never really thought about it until I ran across the article.

Is anyone actually considering driving, in order to see this better? I'm a good 8-10 hours from the line where I could witness an entire eclipse so... probably not, although I am tempted just for kicks.

Unfortunately I'm no where near that zone. I did catch a total eclipse over my area when I was at college some twenty years back. Had an end of the year/eclipse cookout going on. A good time.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I can't wait. It looks like Southern Illinois is in the zone. It might be doable.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
DHsFq__UMAAJX0A.jpg

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
On a serious note, I'm not sure if we will be able to see much. Storms and lots of cloud cover for Monday here.

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
My school is hosting a viewing, but I have a class in the middle of it, and idk where to get those weird glasses.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
Fuck. I was gonna get glasses today but my kid was sick and I also sorta forgot.

Will probably be too cloudy or even stormy anyway.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I saw the 1979 one. We made pinhole viewers. I looked without it anyway.....

i get a 85% block with clear weather.... not driving anywhere to get the total

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Fuck. I was gonna get glasses today but my kid was sick and I also sorta forgot.

Will probably be too cloudy or even stormy anyway.
The glasses were sold out everywhere, gonna try to do the selfie cam trick.
If you want to try the pinhole camera alternative, NASA has instructions here.

Websites recommending eclipse filter glasses specify that they should "meet the standards set by the International Organization for Standardization for blocking sunlight," yet none of them state exactly what that standard is in transmission or optical density. It took me a good while to track it down at work, then I was able to round up some optical filters and test them to see which are suitable.

Atomic Fiend

If you want to try the pinhole camera alternative, NASA has instructions here.

Websites recommending eclipse filter glasses specify that they should "meet the standards set by the International Organization for Standardization for blocking sunlight," yet none of them state exactly what that standard is in transmission or optical density. It took me a good while to track it down at work, then I was able to round up some optical filters and test them to see which are suitable.

Thanks, this all should look familiar. 20 years ago, another eclipse was occuring and my entire class was barred from seeing it by my teacher at the time, who probably didn't beleive that many of her students might not make it 20 years down the line to see the eclipse, or she didn't care. This extreme calluousness on her part has never really stopped bothering me. I do think there are some things you should probably take away as a discipinary measure, I don't know if something that you only have a small window of time over the course of decades to expierence is one of them.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The glasses were sold out everywhere, gonna try to do the selfie cam trick.

That's what I am doing.

I didn't even bother with glasses, especially with the mad scramble at the end for people trying to get them. We're only at 80% totality here or something anyway. I think I'll wait some months, then pick up a pair cheaper before the 2024 eclipse.

ours starts around 1:18pm, is maxed at 2:42pm, and is over at 4pm. I'm here at work the whole time, so I'll just go out to the parking lot.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I wonder how many burglaries will happen during the eclipse... especially in homes of folks who went somewhere else for the day.

Atomic Fiend

Well I hope none, because it's still happening during the day... when everyone is awake. The cover of darkness doesn't really work as well when everyone is wide awake and in motion.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well I hope none, because it's still happening during the day... when everyone is awake. The cover of darkness doesn't really work as well when everyone is wide awake and in motion.

Thinking more in terms of a community event... you know, like a fireworks display (although that's at night) where you know no one will be at home for sure and probably the neighbors won't be either. It might still be daylight, but if no one is around....? It's like jackasses targeting people's homes when a funeral is occurring.

Atomic Fiend

You know since it's occuring everywhere, I never thought of the fact that people probably won't be expierencing this at home.

I will be, I'm going to step out into my front yard for those 5 minutes and go back inside when it's over. :D

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm just hearing about and reading about so many folks going somewhere else to watch it. Or they'll be at work anyway. But all these jamoches driving to the 100% totality band, which means some of them will be gone an entire day or two due to the traffic. I have a friend who has been planning to watch this for years and is driving 8-10 hours south and staying with friends for two days.