• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

"Debunking the MBTI Debunkers" Article

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The article is found here: Debunking the MBTI Debunkers - Typology Wiki

It doesn't take a great deal of reasoning power to debunk the MBTI debunkers, partly because they miss the point. In the long run, what matters is not the validity of the MBTI (and it has been proven to be an objectively real indicator), but its functionalism. While it is an indicator of type, it cannot tell you what you should do for a living or who you should marry. In some respects I have found that the MBTI can provide a certain rule-of-thumb guideline for this or that purpose, there can be no doubt that it also plays into people's natural predisposition for prejudice.

The reason I say "no doubt" is because of the fact that typology forum members all over the internet explicitly state their prejudices against those with certain types. And this is due to the psychological fact that people orient on the negatives because these things stand out more than the positives. It is always possible to find a way to perceive someone in a negative light, and the MBTI provides support for that simply by existing.

Last edited:

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
In some respects I have found that the MBTI can provide a certain rule-of-thumb guideline for this or that purpose, there can be no doubt that it also plays into people's natural predisposition for prejudice.

What about the sources that argue that even if someone is of a certain type, that they should also learn how to get along with all sixteen types since not everyone is going to share their identical or close to identical typing?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What about the sources that argue that even if someone is of a certain type, that they should also learn how to get along with all sixteen types since not everyone is going to share their identical or close to identical typing?

They can argue all they want. I've spoken with Russ Hudson about this (concerning the Enneagram and prejudice against the type 3), and he agrees that it is very difficult to convince people to get along.

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
They can argue all they want. I've spoken with Russ Hudson about this (concerning the Enneagram and prejudice against the type 3), and he agrees that it is very difficult to convince people to get along.

There's a prejudice against Type 3? Like what? I'm a type 3 :mellow:

meowington

Parody Parrot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w7
[MENTION=13589]Mal12345[/MENTION] I thought you were sceptical about MBTI yourself. Guess not. :shrug:

I personally think there isn't a personality test out there with seemingly as much validity as MBTI. Having said that psychology will not become an exact science for decades to come until it gets linked up better with neurology.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=13589]Mal12345[/MENTION] I thought you were sceptical about MBTI yourself. Guess not. :shrug:

I personally think there isn't a personality test out there with as much validity as MBTI. Having said that psychology will not become an exact science for decades to come until it gets linked up better with neurology.

Did you read the OP? Guess not.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There's a prejudice against Type 3? Like what? I'm a type 3 :mellow:

The type 3 lacks authenticity. The Enneagram community is full of authenticity wonks who, like [MENTION=3325]Mole[/MENTION], hate superficiality.

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The type 3 lacks authenticity. The Enneagram community is full of authenticity wonks who, like [MENTION=3325]Mole[/MENTION], hate superficiality.

Ah, I see. Splendid. I'd be a bit more complex in that case, considering I have a strong 4 wing. It's more a way of a safeguard if anything.

Still. I remember you previously not adhering to mbti, and now you're debunking the dubunkers? Interesting.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ah, I see. Splendid. I'd be a bit more complex in that case, considering I have a strong 4 wing. It's more a way of a safeguard if anything.

Still. I remember you previously not adhering to mbti, and now you're debunking the dubunkers? Interesting.

If I talked about some other typology I would mostly be talking to myself.