• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Virtual Reality - VR - Share your experience & vision

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Hi everyone,

I've just purchased a playstation VR headset (playing on a normal ps4 - not ps4 pro)

My first feedback is well, it's amazing.
Of course it's not extreme high res. at the moment, and of course there's a few things to tweak. But yeah, it's REALLY cool.
Been dreaming about that crap since I was a kid - but being a cold blooded ENTP I'm generally rather neutral about tech so lets not assume I'm just super biased here.

EAGLE flight
My first tryout with the PS VR was on a game called EAGLE flight - graphics suck but it's a good way to start getting some 'VR sensations' and see if NAUSEA catches up with you (it did).
When I'd start feeling quizzy I'd just fly up into the sky, then come back for a ground hugging flight through buildings, vehicules etc.
The game allows you to fly as an eagle through a post apocalyptic Paris devoid of humans. It could have been really cool if that Paris actually looked anything like the real paris (I couldn't really recognize the layout of the streets etc. despite being born in Paris) + it's only a SMALL part of Paris (around the Eiffel tower) + the game could have been really cool if it gave you information about buildings etc. Like a virtual drone tour of a city. I'd pay for that, but the game as is is worth 5 bucks to me. Not the 20+ you generally find it for.

score: 4/10
bang for the bucks: I would pick it up for 10 bucks max as a 1h introduction to VR - no more

rush of blood
I then tried 'rush of blood' - a vr shooter on rails (literally, you're in a carny 'ghost train' thing) - pretty cool stuff - however I generally don't like 'horror' type of games. It wasn't particularly scary just - I know that at some point something will come out from behind my back and honestly I find that cheap.
Ie: these games rely on your hardwired fight/flight adrenaline response to a point to give you 'sensations' and I've always felt like that's just cheating. So I don't think I'd be purchasing the new VR compatible resident evil game. I prefer to play my games cool headed.

score: 6/10 (because it's not my type of games)
bang for the bucks: you can get it for about 20 bucks I think, it's worth it but wouldn't pay more, decent graphics for a first wave game, you'll need the 2 PS MOVE controllers to play it - cool game.

Motion Sickness

my plan to get rid of motion sickness goes as follow:
- I play games with little movement, and stop as soon as I start getting quizzy. I'll play some the demo of a VR cube game (comes with the ps vr for free) for 20 min, then I'll play a more intense game for 5 min etc.

What I'm looking forward to

- AAA games that are both 'tv games' and VR compatible are coming out (starting with resident evil 7). That's - to me - the way for VR games to really get into the mainstream as there's not enough VR headsets on the market right now to invest millions into making pure VR games.
- that'll allow for great VR compatible games to come on and give the market momentum - increasing VR market penetration.

My experience so far (my goal is to get my brains used to VR motion as to get rid of residual motion sickness at the moment)

day 1:
+ played about 2x40 minute. Got dizzy / some moves gave me vertigo a few times, Nothing unbearable though. But I'm sure It'd have been worse had I played longer.
+ Strangely though: it's the 'Theater mode" that REALLY made me dizzy (when you use the vr headset in non vr games it displays as if you were in a theater watching a giant screen). I couldn't use it for more than a few minutes a time before needing to take off the headset for a breather (again, nothing dramatic just unpleasant to watch a movie when dizzy)

+ all in all I started wanting to take off the headset after about 20 min max and paused the games a few times.
+ tried non VR games in theater mode (the witcher 3 + non vr demo of resident evil 7) I couldn't play more than 5 minutes due to arising nausea (I don't want to push myself in that area).

Day 2:
+ played for about 30 minutes
+ played high-movement VR game (Eagle Flight) and felt fine. Dizziness was much less pronounced than on day 1 and I didn't have have vertigo. Tried every death defying / nausea inducing stunt I could. I'd say I had half of the 'nausea' factor as on the first day on the same game.
+ didn't try what induced high nausea on day 1 as to ease my brains into it.

Day 3 (today):
- tried more game demos : including EVE VALKYRIE and RIGGS (5 minutes each)- both 'high movement' games and I felt fine. Maybe a slight touch of pre-dizziness but orders of magnitude smaller than on day 1. I think I could have played 30 min+ without much of a problem.
- mostly played demo games with low movement (I mean your VR 'body' doesn't really move much except if you physically move around in the room - but no running in VR while your body stands still) - experienced 0 issue playing about 5 different demos

that's it for now

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I have always wondered if they could have VR sex games like so pervs can like have sex without going out there and being a perv. Hey we could also have games to make fat people run the London marathon or cycle that french cycle race. Or we could have like a game where you hook up VR to google maps and you can drive, walk or anything around the world from the comfort of your own home by hooking them up to machines. The ideas are endless. The sex idea could be used to make anti-gay people engage in intercourse with those of the same sex e.t.c.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I have always wondered if they could have VR sex games like so pervs can like have sex without going out there and being a perv. Hey we could also have games to make fat people run the London marathon or cycle that french cycle race. Or we could have like a game where you hook up VR to google maps and you can drive, walk or anything around the world from the comfort of your own home by hooking them up to machines. The ideas are endless. The sex idea could be used to make anti-gay people engage in intercourse with those of the same sex e.t.c.

a) I don't see why you want to force heterosexuals to have homosexual VR intercourse. Though anti-gay people COULD technically still be gay themselves - true.
b) technology already exists to 'move around VR' but it's quite expensive and bulky / doesn't have major publisher support so it never really got mass adoption. I dont think you can actually safely 'run' on these things, more like walking, but I haven't checked that tech in a long time.
c) there is a VR google map available on HTC vive, waiting for it to come on playstation vr (if it'll ever come) or for PS VR to extend it's windows support (that would be nice)