• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How much will sea levels rise by 2050?

ilikeitlikethat

You're unbelievable ...
MBTI Type
xNTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
A recent study says we can expect the oceans to rise between 2.5 and 6.5 feet (0.8 and 2 meters) by 2100, enough to swamp many of the cities along the U.S. East Coast. More dire estimates, including a complete meltdown of the Greenland ice sheet, push sea level rise to 23 feet (7 meters), enough to submerge London.
rising waters - Google Search

Wait, what?

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I don't know which part of that is confusing to you ?

The answer to your question: that depends on how high are concentrations of various gases and particles in the amosphere, how strong is global abedo effect and will we trigger the massive methane release in the polar regions. However with current trends all 3 variables will be going into negative direction a that means sea level rise that will expoentially grow with time. If all the ice melts globally sea levels should rise about 70 meters and submerge all of the coastal cities around the world.

ilikeitlikethat

You're unbelievable ...
MBTI Type
xNTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't know which part of that is confusing to you ?

The answer to your question: that depends on how high are concentrations of various gases and particles in the amosphere, how strong is global abedo effect and will we trigger the massive methane release in the polar regions. However with current trends all 3 variables will be going into negative direction a that means sea level rise that will expoentially grow with time. If all the ice melts globally sea levels should rise about 70 meters and submerge all of the coastal cities around the world.

The part that says 'my home's going to be submerged by 2050 unless some major sea defences are built', part.

IDK where you're from, but imagine if you Googled rising sea levels and out comes by the year 2050 that Da, da, da, da and where you're from is going to be submerged, you'd be like; 'what?' too, IMO.
It's no news to me that one day this is going to happen, but, why so soon? Why in my natural life expectancy?

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
The part that says 'my home's going to be submerged by 2050 unless some major sea defences are built', part.

IDK where you're from, but imagine if you Googled rising sea levels and out comes by the year 2050 that Da, da, da, da and where you're from is going to be submerged, you'd be like; 'what?' too, IMO.
It's no news to me that one day this is going to happen, but, why so soon? Why in my natural life expectancy?

I studied the climate/sea dynamic as part of my high education and to me it is nothing new as a concept. As a matter of fact media are talking so much about it this that I thought that everybody knew this.
What is one of the main reasons why "The earth had so many changes that this doesn't matter, we will be ok" type of argument doesn't really stand. Since through geological history you had changes but you never had unmovable infrastructure (aka cities) on the coasts. (Plus the rate of changes is very fast by geological standards)

They even made maps about how coastlines will look like around the world if all the ice melts. Therefore it really isn't just your place, they even define major metropolitan areas that will be in serious trouble.
I recommend full screen since there are plenty of details.

However even just a few feet can also be a very serious problem in many places. Since that will destroy beaches and therefore tourism/economy, all ports in the world will have to be remade, in many places salty sea water will come into drinking water supply, plus many places will become much more wounerable to hurricanes and flooding. Therefore this is fundamental game shifter.

I don't want to make panic but situation really doesn't look good with current trends. Why in your lifetime ? Because of our lifestyle. That is politically inccorect but the argument seems to stand from technical point of view. However it is suppresed due to various interests and prevention of mass panic.