• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Mars Astronauts Needed!

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Twelve astronauts to be locked up in a self-contained Mars-emulating biosphere here on Earth for seventeen months, to evaluate the potential psychological effects on people. 500 have applied; only 19 are women.

Would you go? Why or why not?

Which MBTI types do you think could successfully coexist for seventeen long months in a confined space, without things getting ugly?

What sort of psychological pressures can you imagine that would accompany such an experience?

To start the ball rolling, I have to mention the thought of sex if the "dirty dozen" are of mixed genders. How will the dynamics play out over seventeen long months, especially if cold showers are not available? How do people pair off? Will there be monogamous relationships or promiscuous ones? Will men end up fighting over the female staff? It could be extremely volatile, depending...

rivercrow

shoshaku jushaku
MBTI Type
type
Sex is the big problem. Good for tension release, good for relationships, good for generating jealousy.

Hm. I'm having Stranger in a Strange Land flashbacks. Do we need to gear up for the discussion on polyamorous relationships?

Natrushka

Pareo cattus
MBTI Type
INTJ
I grok you, Crowsie.

I don't think I could do this. No, I know I couldn't do this. No way.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I always wanted to go to Mars. Not sure about the biosphere. It seems to have all the drawbacks of the experience without the benefits.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
Sex is the big problem. Good for tension release, good for relationships, good for generating jealousy.

Hm. I'm having Stranger in a Strange Land flashbacks. Do we need to gear up for the discussion on polyamorous relationships?

I don't think that'll be the big problem. It can be diffused through work overload and other stress releases, which is what they are planning from the sound of it.

The major problem will be the long term stress issues of confinement. I'm pretty sure they'll also emulate the workload and outside conditions (emergencies). This heightened sense of emergency and co-dependence will lead to serious bonding between the individuals, similar to what happens in the military. However, this will also causes very large individual pressure (ie: Asian societies) which will erupt in erratic and dangerous behaviour.

I wouldn't do it after reading about similar experiments. The pressure the mind goes under goes far beyond what one can control with will alone. It will change who you are.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I wouldn't do it after reading about similar experiments. The pressure the mind goes under goes far beyond what one can control with will alone. It will change who you are.

Is that why we are letting the Russians do it?

rivercrow

shoshaku jushaku
MBTI Type
type
I don't think that'll be the big problem. It can be diffused through work overload and other stress releases, which is what they are planning from the sound of it.
Okay--maybe not THE big prob, but up on the list. All male teams have more friction than mixed gender problems, but other issues emerge. I'm thinking NASA... :whistling:
The major problem will be the long term stress issues of confinement. I'm pretty sure they'll also emulate the workload and outside conditions (emergencies). This heightened sense of emergency and co-dependence will lead to serious bonding between the individuals, similar to what happens in the military. However, this will also causes very large individual pressure (ie: Asian societies) which will erupt in erratic and dangerous behaviour.
Long term confinement--yes. And are you implying there's a problem with the military's influence on relationship? :shock: :dry:
I wouldn't, either, but for different reasons.

One being the military involvement and directives any such effort would have.

Langrenus

Dear god, there's no way I would ever do this or anything similar (work on a submarine, etc). I've read some fascinating reports about the psychological pressures observed at arctic research stations during freeze-over periods; people start to intensely dislike one another, develop long-focus stares, become intensely depressed, etc. This sounds similar, but worse.

Nighthawk

MBTI Type
INTP
Perhaps in younger years I would have done this. Not anymore though. I had enough of involuntary confinement in the military. It can lead to close bonding ... but also loathing or hatred of people who rub you the wrong way, as you cannot escape them.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
Is that why we are letting the Russians do it?

In part. This is a real sanity problem - literally asking people to risk their minds. If we were less enlightened, we'd call it torture. People snap under easier conditions. This one is ok though, since they get paid and it's optional!

(No subtext, I mean those words literally.)

Okay--maybe not THE big prob, but up on the list. All male teams have more friction than mixed gender problems, but other issues emerge. I'm thinking NASA... :whistling:

Yup, there will be an element of this. However it depends on the individuals and what other stress outlets they have. (In Nasa, most notably space missions, there are only minimal stress diffusions and a surreal form of isolation... not to mention the physical stress from environment change!)

Long term confinement--yes. And are you implying there's a problem with the military's influence on relationship? :shock: :dry:

Yup, but I'm referring to the creation of bonds through highly stressful team efforts, where everyone depends on each other. The pressure to confrom and not let anyone else down becomes its own stressor and prevents proper stress diffusion (beyond your normal physical and mental limits, which causes serious stress disorders after).

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
If a colorful platoon of space marines is allowed to clear out whatever mutants and/or zombies the inhabitants will have become, I fully support this effort.

HilbertSpace

MBTI Type
INTP
I would do it.

I know it wouldn't increase my chances for an actual Mars mission - the people participating in this will have the crappy parts of the experience of a Mars trip and one of the fun stuff about walking on another planet. With an actual Mars mission still in the distant future, this is only an experiment to get information about what it might be like in terms of psychological stresses - anyone participating in this will likely not be career viable when it comes time to actually fly to Mars.

Nevertheless, a program like this does two things - it does potentially give us needed data for when we do make a manned mission, and it also keeps the target in sight. We could expect similar dynamics if we ever set up a permanent base on the Moon. The people participating in this mission are among the pioneers, in a sense. There will still be both physiological and psychological data to get, and the individuals participating in the experiment may not be more likely than their peers to actually get the chance to set foot on another planet, but I'm glad it's happening, and I'd participate in a heartbeat.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I would do it.

Very well.

I dub thee "Sir Hilbert," official liaison of MBTIc to the Mars Mission.

(I hope you know either Russian or mime.)

I agree with your reasoning. It's something that has to be done, if we'd ever hope to get to Mars. It's [probably] not going to be pleasant, but there's no other way to really go about it when planning for a future live expedition. And there seems to be so few "real pioneering" explorations left to us, in some ways.

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
It's something that has to be done, if we'd ever hope to get to Mars. It's [probably] not going to be pleasant, but there's no other way to really go about it when planning for a future live expedition. And there seems to be so few "real pioneering" explorations left to us, in some ways.

One hopes that if/when a future live exploration of Mars occurs, the engineers will have sorted out problems like this one by then.

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
One hopes that if/when a future live exploration of Mars occurs, the engineers will have sorted out problems like this one by then.
Acknowledging the humor of that conversion error, the success and longevity of rovers Spirit and Opportunity, as well as the notable performance of the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter, would be evidence of NASA learning from its mistakes.

rivercrow

shoshaku jushaku
MBTI Type
type
Acknowledging the humor of that conversion error, the success and longevity of rovers Spirit and Opportunity, as well as the notable performance of the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter, would be evidence of NASA learning from its mistakes.

And maybe this kind of thing will prove educational as well.