• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Culture & Children of Divorce: Early Memory

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member
Was reading this article on certain cultures and children from divorced households: having better access to early childhood memories.

What age does your first memory go back to?

If you feel like sharing, please do!

{My first memories are from 3.

I am not sure which was THE very first, but one I remember: my parent's rushing into my room in the middle of the night.

They thought there was something wrong with me. But, I was actually just really excited. The moon was exceptionally bright and had shone through my curtains, waking me up. I had opened the window and was singing to the moon...which woke my parent's.}

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
One early memory for me:
I was sitting in a high chair crying and people were trying to console me, but I kept crying.

My aunt baked a bunny shaped cake for Easter and served me up a piece. Then someone teased and said, "oh no, you aren't going to eat the bunny are you?" I cried and couldn't eat the cake.

haha - all crying memories.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I always had a really good memory, for certain things. One of my earliest memory during my childhood was playing in a forest in the mountains in the fall with my family. I later saw a picture from that and learned I was 1 and a half years old.

I have lots of other memories from early childhood, some good, some bad, some indifferent. But that is the oldest one.

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
the article mentions a couple of factors that are believed to be linked, so i will try to cover those points first... my parents divorced when i was ten... my parents (perhaps more so my mother) had friends that in many ways resembled extended family and i think could be thought of as "extended family"... my mom read to me a lot as a child, and liked to talk to me about things that had happened in my past (and her own)... i have no real idea how many (longish) books she read to me then, but i believe it must have been close to fifty... we spent time looking at photo albums and discussing the events in the pictures...

my first memory predates my third birthday, though by how much i am not sure... when i was four i was convinced that it was from when i was one... anyhow, in the memory i am coloring with crayons in a highchair and my mother is doing something in the sink... the earliest memory i can confirm the date of is my third birthday... my parents brought out a cake and i blew on it... i recall a wide variety of details and events from about three and a half foreward... a funny is my mom complaining at me that everytime ashley visited me, she had to teach me not to eat dog food all over again.... she had the same complaint about ashley's visits making me forget not to pick my nose at an earlier date (i know it was earlier, because when she talk about the dog food, she mentioned that she was glad that at least i was done with my nose)...

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
Maybe I was three. probably sometime in 1985 :shrug:

I remember visiting my god parents while my dad and godfather made music in the garage. At the same time good food smell was always cooking thanks to my mom and godmother and my god-brother and best friend would cause trouble while you could hear the faint sound of Star Search in the background on the TV.

á´…eparted

passages
My parents divorced when I was 3. My earliest memory is being pushed around in a stroller. I think I was 2? It's just a short snippit/clip of a memory.

Falcarius

The Unwieldy Clawed One
MBTI Type
COOL
Falcarius first proper memory was when he was about about 2 years old, he was resting in his cot and his family cat Zebedee came in and was playing around the room and it died of a heart attack.:cry:

Falcarius remembers most weeks around that time, if not most days, his parents would take him for a walk along the river and through the nature park where the gas works used to be, a clay capped grass field come dumping ground at the time, which is now a woodland and grassy area. Around this time he accidentally fell off an embankment and had to go to hospital as he badly sprained his ankle.

For a change they would sometimes would go for a walk to the next village; past the old pumping house and over the old reservoir lakes and railway lines and on along the raised pathway through flood plains called the Devil's Backbone. Or as Matthew Arnold put it in the the Scholar Gipsy:

And once, in winter, on the causeway chill
Where home through flooded fields foot-travellers go,
Have I not pass'd thee on the wooden bridge,
Wrapt in thy cloak and battling with the snow,
Thy face tow'rd Hinksey and its wintry ridge?

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
My earliest memory was at age three. I know this because I couldn't tell if I asked if it was a dream so I asked my grandparents.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I was one-ish or two. My older cousins built a "house" out of dry branches in their garden. Someone took me out to see it. I remember that I was utterly confused. I didn't know what it was and didn't know what it was supposed to mean.

(No divorce)

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I wasn't a child of divorce but my first memory would have been one of two things:

I went to a funeral for some relative and there were spotlights along the sidewalk. I thought they looked cool so I put my hand on one of them, burning it pretty badly.

The next door neighbor was a landscaper. He had a pile of rocks in the back of the yard. I remember playing in that pile of rocks thinking how amazing they were. They were all different kinds and colors and stuff.

Maybe I was 3 or 4. Not sure.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think I remember being in an oxygen tent just before my second birthday. I had pretty serious asthma and was in and out of hospital for the first couple of years of my life, fighting for it on my second birthday. I'm not sure if it's a false memory based on being told a story of it or it's an actual memory. It's pretty hazy.

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
There's no divorce in my family, but my earliest memory is 2. I was sitting in my highchair in my parents apartment in LA. My mom was trying to feed me mushed beans. I remember not being into them AT ALL. I do remember feeling a hint of frustration because my mom didn't understand that I didn't want those nasty beans. Then she set me on the floor in front of the tv and Mary Poppins was on. She gave me a sippy cup with some sort of blue liquid in it. I liked it a lot. I wanted more.

Flâneuse

don't ask me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Fascinating article. I'd never even thought of this subject (cultural differences affecting childhood memory) before now.
...the study compared the earliest childhood memories of European, Maori, and Asian-heritage New Zealanders. The researchers found that Asian participants’ earliest memories were, on average, at 4.5 years, European were at 3.5 years, and Maori were at 2.6 years. The authors reasoned that it was the richness of Maori oral culture that drove the early memories
a follow-up 2008 study found that Maori mothers told more elaborate stories of giving birth than European New Zealanders, providing evidence that Maori children grow up in a “richer narrative environment” than their peers, and a 2015 study found that the more a mother identified with Maori culture, the richer stories she told about her adventures in mothering. ...“Descriptive storytelling renders the event more vividly in memory, whether the storytelling takes place during the event or afterwards,”
Super interesting.

Anyway, I think my first memory is from when I was about 2 1/2 to 3 years old. I was in the bathroom with my mom, I was beside the bathtub, and she was saying something to me in an affectionate voice. I believe she was drawing a bath for me, that she was saying "time for a bath, girlie" or something like that, and that I was happy and smiling because I had fun splashing around in the tub. The exact words she said are probably just stuff my brain made up to fill in the blanks, but I do remember the tone of her voice very clearly.
FTR my parents did divorce when I was very young (I'd just turned four), but I don't remember hearing many descriptive stories about my early childhood. The few I have heard were either from way before I was capable of forming lasting memories (the first few months of my life), or from when I was misbehaving as a toddler, events which I conveniently do not remember. :D

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My parents never divorced and are still together. I think my earliest memory was when I was maybe around 3 or 4. I was singing to the video cassette tape of Alvin & The Chipmunks while they did their songs. I'll always treasure the early 90's.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My earliest memories are brief flashes.

Seated in a faded yellow paisley highchair. There was a tear in the vinyl seat material. Uncomfortable against the back of my right thigh.

Fraggle Rock on the little wood-paneled TV, in the playroom. Silver knobs. In a white mesh playpen. I think she was babysitting some Navy-Wife's infant- it was smaller than I. Crawler. I could actually walk in the playpen/see over the edge. She might've stuck me in there to see the baby, or something. Brother playing with his Fisher-Price "Little People" set on the floor, nearby. Occasionally making siren sounds, car vrooms. Smooth, sliding friction when the plastic wheels rolled down the winding ramp. It was the "Main Street" model he'd gotten for Xmas, 1986 (we have a home movie of that year). I was born in '85.

Riding an antique wooden rocking horse my mom still owns; I couldn't have been more than 2.

My mom places the highchair event sometime prior to 18 months old. She stopped putting me in it right at the 18-month mark.

I have more cohesive streams of memory (days/weeks vs moments) from 3yrs old-onward.

I'm not a child of divorce. My father was in the Navy/worked often, though. He died when I was 9. As a child, sometimes I felt I cherished people- my time with them, however long that may be- a bit more than most at my age. Didn't know how to articulate it, though. Just an early knowledge of mortality, and the limitations life can put on relationships. And that others may not be able to see it, yet. Just deeply grateful.

Tater

my parents never divorced.

when i was 2, i pulled the tail of the family cat. he bit me, and the incident turned into a joke. whenever i needed to make an excuse about anything, i would say, 'but panda bit me the other day!'

i also remember, around the age of 3, riding laps around our driveway on a tricycle. my family ran a garage sale at the time.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
My parents got divorced when I was 16.

I can't remember what my very earliest memory is, and I don't remember much of my childhood at all. But I do remember going to preschool, and always feeling somewhat isolated from the other kids. Making a stick pony and nap time and all that. I remember sitting in my high chair eating peaches while my parents weren't in the room and one of them had an icky brown spot on it and I thought to myself "I don't have to eat this if I throw it on the floor and then they'll have to pick it up" so I did that and it worked.

Firebird 8118

DJ Phoenix
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Not a child of divorce, but - my earliest memory was when I was about 2 years. We were living in an apartment at the time (moved to our first home not long afterwards, according to my parents). I remember sitting in a baby swing inside one of the rooms, and there was some music playing in the background (though what it was exactly, I never knew). I was just sitting quietly, looking at my surroundings curiously, and there was this framed carpet-like embroidery of a large brown dog.

I (along with my brother and sister) couldn't speak until I was around 4, but I remember liking that embroidery, even without having the words to describe it :) we still have that embroidery... and our Pom Lucy, who turned 4 years old just yesterday. :wubbie:

evilrubberduckie

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Sitting in santas lap at 3 years old and winning something from a raffle
Same month, but two separate memories.

Parents divorced when I was 8. We were at the courthouse in the middle east and I rememer my grandma snuck us out and tried to hide me and this store that sold carpets. Then the authorities at the courthouse called. I remeber being very confused and not knowing what was happening. Remember my dad picking me up and Im kicking him and screaming for my mother who is watching me go and crying. But not reaching for me.

Later as I grow older they explain to me what was happening. But damn. Thoes years were tough.