• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How The FDA manipulates media

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
How the FDA Manipulates the Media - Scientific American

A look at how government agencies are trying to control reporting on them.

It was a faustian bargain—and it certainly made editors at National Public Radio squirm.

The deal was this: NPR, along with a select group of media outlets, would get a briefing about an upcoming announcement by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration a day before anyone else. But in exchange for the scoop, NPR would have to abandon its reportorial independence. The FDA would dictate whom NPR's reporter could and couldn't interview.

“My editors are uncomfortable with the condition that we cannot seek reaction,” NPR reporter Rob Stein wrote back to the government officials offering the deal. Stein asked for a little bit of leeway to do some independent reporting but was turned down flat. Take the deal or leave it.

NPR took the deal. “I'll be at the briefing,” Stein wrote.

This kind of deal offered by the FDA—known as a close-hold embargo—is an increasingly important tool used by scientific and government agencies to control the behavior of the science press. Or so it seems. It is impossible to tell for sure because it is happening almost entirely behind the scenes. We only know about the FDA deal because of a wayward sentence inserted by an editor at the New York Times. But for that breach of secrecy, nobody outside the small clique of government officials and trusted reporters would have known that the journalists covering the agency had given up their right to do independent reporting.

the FDA assures the public that it is committed to transparency, but the documents show that, privately, the agency denies many reporters access—including ones from major outlets such as Fox News—and even deceives them with half-truths to handicap them in their pursuit of a story. At the same time, the FDA cultivates a coterie of journalists whom it keeps in line with threats. And the agency has made it a practice to demand total control over whom reporters can and can't talk to until after the news has broken, deaf to protests by journalistic associations and media ethicists and in violation of its own written policies.

By using close-hold embargoes and other methods, the FDA, like other sources of scientific information, are gaining control of journalists who are supposed to keep an eye on those institutions. The watchdogs are being turned into lapdogs. “Journalists have ceded the power to the scientific establishment,” says Vincent Kiernan, a science journalist and dean at George Mason University. “I think it's interesting and somewhat inexplicable, knowing journalists in general as being people who don't like ceding power.”

This January the California Institute of Technology was sitting on a great story: researchers there had evidence of a new giant planet—Planet Nine—in the outer reaches of our solar system. The Caltech press office decided to give only a dozen reporters, including Scientific American's Michael Lemonick, early access to the scientists and their study. When the news broke, the rest of the scientific journalism community was left scrambling. “Apart from the chosen 12, those working to news deadlines were denied the opportunity to speak to the researchers, obtain independent viewpoints or have time to properly digest the published research paper,” complained BBC reporter Pallab Ghosh about Caltech's “inappropriate” favoritism in an open letter to the World Federation of Science Journalists.

When asked about why Caltech chose to release the news only to a select group of reporters, Farnaz Khadem, Caltech's head of communications, stated that she is committed to being “fair and transparent” about how and when Caltech shares news with journalists. She then refused to talk about the Planet Nine incident or embargoes or press strategy, and she would not grant access to anyone at Caltech who might talk about such matters. As a consequence, it is hard to know for certain why Caltech decided to share the news with only a select group of reporters. But it is not hard to guess why journalists such as Ghosh were excluded. “It wasn't that they were not good enough or not liked enough,” Kiernan speculates. “There was a real effort here to control things, making sure that the elite of the elite covered this story and covered it in a certain way, which would then shape the coverage of all other journalists. It's very clearly a control effor....

The Association of Health Care Journalists (AHCJ), of which I am a member, publicly objected to the close-hold embargo, noting that it “will be a serious obstacle to good journalism. Reporters who want to be competitive on a story will essentially have to agree to write only what the FDA wants to tell the world, without analysis or outside commentary.”

The FDA was not pleased that the secret of the close-hold embargo was out, and the excluded press was confused and angry. “In this particular instance, it struck me as very strange,” says Fox's Roberts. “It was a government agency picking and choosing who it was going to talk to on a matter of public policy, and then the fact that I had a longstanding relationship with the FDA that, with this new administration, didn't seem to matter.”

Oransky complained again on Embargo Watch about the FDA's attempts to turn journalists “into stenographers.” Sullivan asked a few pointed questions of Jefferson, who, in Sullivan's words, insisted that the FDA's intent was “not to be manipulative but to give reporters early access to a complicated news development” and noted, in passing, that Tavernise had not objected to the terms of the close-hold embargo.

á´…eparted

passages
Oh my god cry another conspiracy theory why don't you. Threads like this are why so many people are so nauseated by the politics subforum.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Oh my god cry another conspiracy theory why don't you. Threads like this are why so many people are so nauseated by the politics subforum.

Scientific American is such a conspiracy theorist rag, lol.... yeah, it is just like Infowars, lol

Perhaps you might to look at it before whining.....

An independent press helps keep the government honest. It is a very simple concept.

If you wish to remain ignorant of this subject, so be it, but please remain silent rather than attack threads without addressing content, if you actually care about the forum at all.

It adds nothing to the forum to just post off topic attacks on a thread.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
The FDA needs to be audited by a non-governmental, independent panel (meaning, no affiliation with big pharma or government). When a bureaucracy actively fights transparency, you know there is much rot and corruption. What we need is a hack of emails between the FDA officials and big pharma.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Scientific American is a pretty reputable publication. Also, tit for tat in journalism isn't unheard of...

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Reducing food quality for the sake of profit is nothing new. Therefore there are probably quite a few rules and relgulation that need revision. (especially if so many people in America suffer from food related deseases)

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There has to be more investigative, under-cover journalism. I mean, this isn't new. Businesses/industries have always built relationships with certain preferred journalists. Someone gets the "scoop" while others don't. I'm not saying it is fair or right but I don't see a way out of that. Journalism is a competitive industry.

I don't believe FDA should be able to play those games, however.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The FDA needs to be audited by a non-governmental, independent panel (meaning, no affiliation with big pharma or government). When a bureaucracy actively fights transparency, you know there is much rot and corruption.

I agree with this.