• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

It seems that the nearest star to the Sun has a Earth like planet

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Over the last 2 decades quite a few planets outside of the solar system were found. Most of them were gas giants close to their stars, since such planets are easiest to detect, also a number of small rocky planets like Earth were found in the process. However a few days ago discovery was announced that the closest star to the Sun known as Proxima Centauri has Earth like planet.

Therefore if this is true it is almost certain that exploration/colonisation of star systems other than our own will start from here.

Throughts ?

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think we should be building and launching generational ships.

Mole

Permabanned
Over the last 2 decades quite a few planets outside of the solar system were found. Most of them were gas giants close to their stars, since such planets are easiest to detect, also a number of small rocky planets like Earth were found in the process. However a few days ago discovery was announced that the closest star to the Sun known as Proxima Centauri has Earth like planet.

Therefore if this is true it is almost certain that exploration/colonisation of star systems other than our own will start from here.

Throughts ?

Of course not. This planet is the closet possible planet to us outside our solar system yet it is four light years away. It would take tens of thousands of years to get there. So colonisation of other solar systems is a fantasy based on the fantasy of the Sky God.

Only a relatively short time ago we heard the voice of God, but God fell silent, and we wondered where God went. And looking up at the clouds during the day, and the stars at night, we fantasised that God had gone up to heaven, and so the myth of the Sky God was born. So we fantasise travelling through space to be united with our lost God.

Cowardly

deactivated
Of course not. This planet is the closet possible planet to us outside our solar system yet it is four light years away. It would take tens of thousands of years to get there. So colonisation of other solar systems is a fantasy based on the fantasy of the Sky God.
I'm not sure we've reached our limit yet. I'm sure I will never get there, but hope for the species isn't lost. We have several million years to figure it out until the Sun fucks us up, if we aren't extinct due to a natural cataclysm or stupidity before that.

Only a relatively short time ago we heard the voice of God, but God fell silent, and we wondered where God went. And looking up at the clouds during the day, and the stars at night, we fantasised that God had gone up to heaven, and so the myth of the Sky God was born. So we fantasise travelling through space to be united with our lost God.
I have no clue what you're talking about here. :shrug:

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I like this idea.

The truth is that such ships are probably the first ones that will be able to reach the stars, however their construction is probably still in a distant future. Let's face it, we weren't on the moon for decades and even our solar system is still basically unexplored.

Permabanned
ikr. 4.24 years for single direction radio communication.

You've posted this exact paragraph before, trying to present some cryptic narrative, but I think it's too vague, obscure and subjective, and does a poor job, other than whatever you get from posting it.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Help us, Elon Musk! You're our only hope!!!

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
The problem is just time, space, and distance. Nothing new to our species, but as usual something new is what the problem needs. I think we could very well crack the riddle.

mystik_INFJ

Permabanned
Space travel is a thing. Part of the human experience is to do/pursue things, and in doing so creating meaning for one's existence. Do you think it's possible to find the link you are alluding to in things other than space travel? Blogging? Volunteering? Baking bread? Who's to define the spectrum of psychological meaning that each individual can derive from anything?

And if any of the above manages to succeed in widening your perspective, are you then, able to realize how limited and jaded it is?

This user gives off strong nihilistic views. Either that or zealot like deep religious beliefs that the magic sky daddy will save us. I think you can safely ignore his her replies.

I don't think this planet will be hospitable. It's a trinary system. I have little hope that systems with two or more stars are hospitable to life. The reasons are many. We can talk more if interested.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think there might be a need to go to that system, but it might not be to colonise. Perhaps just for resources. I guess alternative transportation needs to happen first.

funny I was watching this the other day:

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The truth is that such ships are probably the first ones that will be able to reach the stars, however their construction is probably still in a distant future. Let's face it, we weren't on the moon for decades and even our solar system is still basically unexplored.

Meh, I think we could have generational ships sent out within the next century or two. Unless Alcubierre Drive becomes a reality before that and negates the need.

Most likely, what will happen is warp ships will be built and launched after the generational ships are launched, but reach their destination whilst the generational ships are still in transit. If that's the case then we need to determine whether generational ships would even be worth the cost.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This user gives off strong nihilistic views. Either that or zealot like deep religious beliefs that the magic sky daddy will save us. I think you can safely ignore his her replies.

I don't think this planet will be hospitable. It's a trinary system. I have little hope that systems with two or more stars are hospitable to life. The reasons are many. We can talk more if interested.

Yeah that one desert planet they discovered in 1977 had two suns and they could barely survive without vapor farms to suck the moisture out of the air. Not to mention giant people-eating assholes nestled in the sand.

Mole

Permabanned
I think there might be a need to go to that system, but it might not be to colonise. Perhaps just for resources. I guess alternative transportation needs to happen first.

With the printing press behind us we expanded into the frontier with the railroad, so, gosh, we can expand into the universe with a warp drive. In the meantime our very perceptions are changing, and with the electronic world behind us, we are now imploding. Instead of exploding outwards, we are imploding inwards, but the bien pensant don't change their minds when the facts change. And so they keep fantasising about colonising the universe and taking its resources. How bizarre and perverse.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The derail on MBTI, pop psychology, philosophical meaning, etc was moved.

Please stay at least within a stone's throw of the topic. There are other threads for these other topics. Use them.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
With the printing press behind us we expanded into the frontier with the railroad, so, gosh, we can expand into the universe with a warp drive. In the meantime our very perceptions are changing, and with the electronic world behind us, we are now imploding. Instead of exploding outwards, we are imploding inwards, but the bien pensant don't change their minds when the facts change. And so they keep fantasising about colonising the universe and taking its resources. How bizarre and perverse.

I think everybody wants a place they can call home.

mystik_INFJ

Permabanned
Yeah that one desert planet they discovered in 1977 had two suns and they could barely survive without vapor farms to suck the moisture out of the air. Not to mention giant people-eating assholes nestled in the sand.

Yes, but the Spice must flow. The emperor himself said so. For Shai'hulud!

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I'm excited! Not because I think we will ever colonize other planets -- I honestly believe that we will be wiped out by some unexpected gamma ray burst or unexpected super volcano explosion before we set foot anywhere outside our solar system -- but because this will fuel speculations and hopes and ideas and curiosity, and that's what beautiful about humans.