User Tag List

12 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 16

  1. #1
    Super Ape Luke O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    954
    Posts
    1,741

    Default Yes we have no bananas

    Bananas could be wiped out in 5-10 years.

    Bananas Could Be Wiped Out In 5 To 10 Years | IFLScience

  2. #2
    clever fool Typh0n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    3,546

    Default

    Good to know I won't be going into the banana business anytime soon...
    Likes Luke O liked this post

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    6 sp
    Posts
    9,038

    Default

    Bananas are gross, so this is totally ok.

    Its a step in the right direction.
    Likes Xann liked this post

  4. #4
    Clean Slate
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    566

    Default

    We've been reading the same article at the same time! (I arrived there through the "super-recognizers" article, I got perfect score!)

    I didn't know the banana plantations haven't started with sowing seeds. That was interesting. The article mentions that the plants being "clones" make them be equally susceptible to the fungus. But even if we sowed banana seeds and grew non-clone plants, that wouldn't mean these plants wouldn't be susceptible, so yes, trying to understand the fungus to neutralize it is the only possibility (I'm wondering if the fungus is in every place where bananas can grow, and if there are another types of bananas that can supplant the ones we consume today in case these disappear.. I'm not very informed about the banana family).

    Anyway, banana milkshakes are the best! (No puns)
    Likes Cloudpatrol liked this post

  5. #5
    Digital ambition Virtual ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    iNTJ
    Enneagram
    153 sp/so
    Posts
    11,474

    Default

    Can't say I am surprised. Modern mass production is based on identical or very similar plants that are all susceptable to same problems and parasites.

    Therefore it is just a matter of time when one type of fruit will take a major hit when it comes to production.
    Likes Cloudpatrol liked this post

  6. #6
    Fabula rasa Kas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    2,554

    Default

    I am more worried about potential chocopalypse.
    “The world is full of obvious things which nobody by any chance ever observes." A.C. Doyle

    Likes Cloudpatrol, redpilot liked this post

  7. #7
    Senior(ita) Member Cloudpatrol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    2,203

    Default

    I hope this doesn't come to pass @Luke O. I like bananas but not simulated banana flavour

    I have always wanted to read this book:

    Bananas are getting a raw deal everywhere. In China "eating a banana seductively" online is being outlawed:

    China bans live-streams of 'erotic' banana-eating in bid to crack down on 'inappropriate' content

  8. #8
    Super Ape Luke O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    954
    Posts
    1,741

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post
    Bananas are gross, so this is totally ok.

    Its a step in the right direction.
    Burn the heretic! (or lay banana skins in his direction of travel)

    Quote Originally Posted by CitizenErased View Post
    We've been reading the same article at the same time! (I arrived there through the "super-recognizers" article, I got perfect score!)

    I didn't know the banana plantations haven't started with sowing seeds. That was interesting. The article mentions that the plants being "clones" make them be equally susceptible to the fungus. But even if we sowed banana seeds and grew non-clone plants, that wouldn't mean these plants wouldn't be susceptible, so yes, trying to understand the fungus to neutralize it is the only possibility (I'm wondering if the fungus is in every place where bananas can grow, and if there are another types of bananas that can supplant the ones we consume today in case these disappear.. I'm not very informed about the banana family).

    Anyway, banana milkshakes are the best! (No puns)
    What concerns me is there is little parallel with the Panama Disease that destroyed the Gros Michel cultivar. That particular variety of sigatoka attacked only that cultivar, the fungus we have now seems to attack all of them.

    Yes we read the article at the same time and we also both think banana milkshakes are the best! (though I can't have them any more because of the milk, I may have developed an intolerance to lactose or something...)

    Quote Originally Posted by Virtual ghost View Post
    Can't say I am surprised. Modern mass production is based on identical or very similar plants that are all susceptable to same problems and parasites.

    Therefore it is just a matter of time when one type of fruit will take a major hit when it comes to production.
    It's chilling to think about it, seeing as monoculture is a prevalent thing with agriculture anyway. There may be a time in the future when a lot of people are going to go hungry.

    Watching Interstellar reinforced that point for me.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kas View Post
    I am more worried about potential chocopalypse.
    Cocoa beans were once a form of currency, they may be again...

    Quote Originally Posted by Cloudpatrol View Post
    I hope this doesn't come to pass @Luke O. I like bananas but not simulated banana flavour

    I have always wanted to read this book:

    Bananas are getting a raw deal everywhere. In China "eating a banana seductively" online is being outlawed:

    China bans live-streams of 'erotic' banana-eating in bid to crack down on 'inappropriate' content
    Lordy.

    And how will we compare the size of things without bananas?

  9. #9
    Fabula rasa Kas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    2,554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Luke O View Post

    Cocoa beans were once a form of currency, they may be again...
    This doesn't cheer me up.
    Maybe we should make chocolate shelters.
    “The world is full of obvious things which nobody by any chance ever observes." A.C. Doyle

    Likes Cloudpatrol liked this post

  10. #10
    Clean Slate
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    566

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Luke O View Post

    What concerns me is there is little parallel with the Panama Disease that destroyed the Gros Michel cultivar. That particular variety of sigatoka attacked only that cultivar, the fungus we have now seems to attack all of them.

    Yes we read the article at the same time and we also both think banana milkshakes are the best! (though I can't have them any more because of the milk, I may have developed an intolerance to lactose or something...)
    Bananas are the mostconsumed fruit here in Argentina, though we import half of them from Ecuador. Bananas can't disappear! I hope the solution to neutralize the fungus is found soon.

    And haven't you tried any other option to supplant milk, like almond milk? It goes great with milkshakes and it's easy to prepare. You just have to leave a dozen almonds in water all night and in the morning you throw away the water, put the almonds with some clean water (I don't remember how much exactly) in the blender and then you filter it (there are some cloth bags for that) and that's it. Those banana milkshakes with coconut rock!
    Likes Cloudpatrol liked this post

Similar Threads

  1. [INFP] Do people always forget we exist because they think we have no personality?
    By INFPtheQuietOne in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-19-2015, 11:49 PM
  2. Why MBTI Central when we have INTP Central?
    By Tonks in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 07-03-2007, 08:55 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO