• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Yes we have no bananas

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Good to know I won't be going into the banana business anytime soon...:newwink:

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Bananas are gross, so this is totally ok.

Its a step in the right direction.

CitizenErased

Clean Slate
We've been reading the same article at the same time! (I arrived there through the "super-recognizers" article, I got perfect score!)

I didn't know the banana plantations haven't started with sowing seeds. That was interesting. The article mentions that the plants being "clones" make them be equally susceptible to the fungus. But even if we sowed banana seeds and grew non-clone plants, that wouldn't mean these plants wouldn't be susceptible, so yes, trying to understand the fungus to neutralize it is the only possibility (I'm wondering if the fungus is in every place where bananas can grow, and if there are another types of bananas that can supplant the ones we consume today in case these disappear.. I'm not very informed about the banana family).

Anyway, banana milkshakes are the best! (No puns)

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Can't say I am surprised. Modern mass production is based on identical or very similar plants that are all susceptable to same problems and parasites.

Therefore it is just a matter of time when one type of fruit will take a major hit when it comes to production.

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member

Luke O

Super Ape
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Bananas are gross, so this is totally ok.

Its a step in the right direction.

Burn the heretic! (or lay banana skins in his direction of travel)

We've been reading the same article at the same time! (I arrived there through the "super-recognizers" article, I got perfect score!)

I didn't know the banana plantations haven't started with sowing seeds. That was interesting. The article mentions that the plants being "clones" make them be equally susceptible to the fungus. But even if we sowed banana seeds and grew non-clone plants, that wouldn't mean these plants wouldn't be susceptible, so yes, trying to understand the fungus to neutralize it is the only possibility (I'm wondering if the fungus is in every place where bananas can grow, and if there are another types of bananas that can supplant the ones we consume today in case these disappear.. I'm not very informed about the banana family).

Anyway, banana milkshakes are the best! (No puns)

What concerns me is there is little parallel with the Panama Disease that destroyed the Gros Michel cultivar. That particular variety of sigatoka attacked only that cultivar, the fungus we have now seems to attack all of them.

Yes we read the article at the same time and we also both think banana milkshakes are the best! (though I can't have them any more because of the milk, I may have developed an intolerance to lactose or something...)

Can't say I am surprised. Modern mass production is based on identical or very similar plants that are all susceptable to same problems and parasites.

Therefore it is just a matter of time when one type of fruit will take a major hit when it comes to production.

It's chilling to think about it, seeing as monoculture is a prevalent thing with agriculture anyway. There may be a time in the future when a lot of people are going to go hungry.

Watching Interstellar reinforced that point for me.

I am more worried about potential chocopalypse.

Cocoa beans were once a form of currency, they may be again...

I hope this doesn't come to pass [MENTION=24524]Luke O[/MENTION]. I like bananas but not simulated banana flavour :(

I have always wanted to read this book:

Bananas are getting a raw deal everywhere. In China "eating a banana seductively" online is being outlawed:

China bans live-streams of 'erotic' banana-eating in bid to crack down on 'inappropriate' content

Lordy.

And how will we compare the size of things without bananas?

CitizenErased

Clean Slate
What concerns me is there is little parallel with the Panama Disease that destroyed the Gros Michel cultivar. That particular variety of sigatoka attacked only that cultivar, the fungus we have now seems to attack all of them.

Yes we read the article at the same time and we also both think banana milkshakes are the best! (though I can't have them any more because of the milk, I may have developed an intolerance to lactose or something...)

Bananas are the mostconsumed fruit here in Argentina, though we import half of them from Ecuador. Bananas can't disappear! I hope the solution to neutralize the fungus is found soon.

And haven't you tried any other option to supplant milk, like almond milk? It goes great with milkshakes and it's easy to prepare. You just have to leave a dozen almonds in water all night and in the morning you throw away the water, put the almonds with some clean water (I don't remember how much exactly) in the blender and then you filter it (there are some cloth bags for that) and that's it. Those banana milkshakes with coconut rock! :wubbie:

Luke O

Super Ape
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
This doesn't cheer me up.
Maybe we should make chocolate shelters.

I thought then that you were talking about like an air raid shelter but made out of chocolate, and wondered how that would work

Luke O

Super Ape
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Bananas are the mostconsumed fruit here in Argentina, though we import half of them from Ecuador. Bananas can't disappear! I hope the solution to neutralize the fungus is found soon.

And haven't you tried any other option to supplant milk, like almond milk? It goes great with milkshakes and it's easy to prepare. You just have to leave a dozen almonds in water all night and in the morning you throw away the water, put the almonds with some clean water (I don't remember how much exactly) in the blender and then you filter it (there are some cloth bags for that) and that's it. Those banana milkshakes with coconut rock! :wubbie:

I sometimes like to do a smoothie (I've got a nutribullet) with banana, pineapple and creamed coconut. Very nice.

I may give making almond milk a go. Do you have to use raw almonds?

CitizenErased

Clean Slate
I sometimes like to do a smoothie (I've got a nutribullet) with banana, pineapple and creamed coconut. Very nice.

I may give making almond milk a go. Do you have to use raw almonds?

Never mixed coconut and pineapple. Sounds interesting. Thanks for the idea! :)

Yeah, raw almonds!

Here's a recipe, though I skip all the vanilla thingy part, just almonds and water (that way the remaining milk can be used for anything).

How to Make Almond Milk (Step by Step) – Recipe | Oh Nuts Blog

Kas

Fabula rasa
I thought then that you were talking about like an air raid shelter but made out of chocolate, and wondered how that would work

Providing sweet death?

I thought of places with hidden chocolate, for those in need. :huh: