• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Oxycontin fraud

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Drug companies misrepresent the benefits of the drugs, while minimizing the side effects. The Purdue Pharmaceutical case is not unique. Drug companies spend very little on research and massive amounts on marketing and political donations. They are indifferent to human life. Those rare side effects are much more common than advertised. And many newer drugs do not work better than older drugs.

The FDA and related international regulatory agencies are pretty much controlled by the drug companies.....

It seems like a good first step would be to disallow drug companies to advertise prescription drugs through TV, magazines to the public.

This could put a small dent in the way they market the drug as they would have to market to knowledgeable medical professionals and hopefully be up against a more stringent Q&A, rather than a doctor getting bombarded by a "demand" simply because they were told to ask about it.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It seems like a good first step would be to disallow drug companies to advertise prescription drugs through TV, magazines to the public.

This could put a small dent in the way they market the drug as they would have to market to knowledgeable medical professionals and hopefully be up against a more stringent Q&A, rather than a doctor getting bombarded by a "demand" simply because they were told to ask about it.

Yes, allowing drug companies to advertise was a really bad decision. They use carefully manipulative commercials, with soft music and happy people while reciting the dire list of side effects.

Drug company marketing to doctors is rife with bad incentives as well.

Modern pharmaceuticals can do wonders, but with the completely corrupt incentives and regulatory capture, there is little to keep them honest and ethical.

Lillita

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes, allowing drug companies to advertise was a really bad decision. They use carefully manipulative commercials, with soft music and happy people while reciting the dire list of side effects.

Drug company marketing to doctors is rife with bad incentives as well.

Modern pharmaceuticals can do wonders, but with the completely corrupt incentives and regulatory capture, there is little to keep them honest and ethical.

Some articles on what you mentioned that others may find interesting.

The Pharmaceutical Industry’s Role in U.S. Medical Education >> in-Training, the online magazine for medical students
http://www.livescience.com/8365-dark-side-medical-research-widespread-bias-omissions.html

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I'm definitely in the boat that opioids lack the data necessary to determine long term benefits of pain control... But... There isn't much else available for long term pain control either. What else do we have? On the one hand, I don't blindly think that pharmaceuticals are out to save lives and that money is not the main motivator which causes a lot of corrupted (coughbayerHIVscandalcough) incidents and money will always lead to bad decisions made in its namesake... on the other hand, it literally IS saving lives, there are very passionate people trying to work their tails off and doing a ton of school and work just to try to make something better than what's available, and .... To be honest, if you're going to be addicted to pain pills, I'd rather them be regulated doses of something measurable vs whatever you can buy off of the street.

In psych 101 they distinguish dependency vs addiction for a reason. I think it's an important one to make.. and being a nurse, I see these two definitions blurred together into one mass all the time. Dependency on hypertension medications or pain medications means there is something medically indicated for taking them. Addiction tends to be less medically driven--though it can certainly stem from medical roots and frequently does.

If you've never seen cancer, it is sometimes an extremely painful thing to live with, and the long term side effects of pain medications, even dependency being one of those, is worth it for quality of life. And... we don't have much to offer them. I'm really thankful we can control their pain as well as we can even if it isn't perfect by any means. But over prescribing medications is a very real and serious problem. And it's multifaceted. It isn't JUST about making money off of pain meds. Patients themselves motivate a lot of this as well.. think of the number of times you felt frustrated that you went to a doctor's office only to be told "meh, it's fine, itll work itself out of ya." I've seen a number of patients pissed off they didn't get SOME kind of medication to help. They demand antibiotics for what is most likely a viral infection. They demand pain control even though the surgery they got is a minor one. And medicare is in the camp now that patient satisfaction is a big determining factor in whether or not that hospital gets reimbursed for the money they spent on that patient.

To say that "pharma is evil and corrupt" ... there is a lot of facets to this puzzle, and a sweep of the hand into a black and white "good/bad" doesn't really do any good. It isn't an evil boss battle in a game. It is a machine, and it does need a lot of rebuilding to make it work efficiently for people. And there are some pretty genuinely nasty people with what I could even consider to be evil ideas that want to prevent some of those rebuilds lest they give up their current cushy quality of life... But.. to say people don't drive the industry and only the industry wants people's money is sorely naive as well.

I'm excited about research like neuro-disrupting machines that can relieve leg pain without medications, and innovations like that. I think we should all strive for learning to deal with pain, and being mindful of the smaller, free-er fixes for pain problems.. but the reality is, compliance and interest is not always there with these things. People want magic bullets, and we don't have them. And trust me when I say, pharma wants magic bullets too.

I think people tend to 'defend' pharma because... honestly, people are SO quick to condemn it. It isn't like saying "It isn't evil" is the same was it's perfect. I don't think anyone passionate about medicine overlooks its glaring flaws. In fact, most often the emphasis on medications IS on the flaws, because those flaws are the most important aspect of patient care. Macroscopic scopes usually open one's eyes up to what one wants to see... It's hard to take in a whole vista, so you focus on a mountain, or the sky, or a river in it... Similarly, if you want to see evil in the pharmaceutical industry, it is really easy to find.. but so too is good. People do need to educate themselves and not blindly listen to doctors.. but with a grain of salt, and an understanding that those doctors are highly trained in their professions for a reason. You really can do the scientific method with your own care in a way that is fair to both yourself and trained professionals.

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Thanks for misunderstanding what I wrote everyone.

I didn't say pharmaceutical companies don't raise eyebrows when it comes to ethics, I said they have to follow laws and regulations which street dealers do not.

But don't take my word for it. Buy Cocaine or Heroin off the street and try to prove to me it is not cut with strychtnine because your dealer is after your well-being and not your money. That doesn't mean that every street dealer is that careless and that pharmaceuticals are there for people's good and not money, but yes there are laws that keep them from doing whatever they want, but I'm sure its pointless to repeat since my arguements will just go unheard...

tldr: Street drugs are not safer than pharmaceuticals

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Is Big Pharma Addicted To Fraud?

Forbes Welcome

Great article. The transfer of pharmaceutical production to India and China has been really bad, as quality drops and fraud increases.

Pharma is just a very bad industry right now and would benefit from throwing a lot of executives into prison...