• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Which field of science holds the most potential in the coming century

Which field of science holds the most potential in the coming century

• Robotics and AI

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • biotechnology (genetic engineering)

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • nanotechnology

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • alternative energy source (like fusion , solar)

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • neuroscience

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Space Technology and astronomy

• medicine (cure of cancer or immortality)

• quantum computering or more powerful computers

• something new thing you can think of but no one cares about

• green and antipollution tech (from fear of global warming)

• wtf is this guy talking about

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters

Usehername

On a mission
I'm very intrested to hear thoughts aobut this... but am entirely unqualified to do anything but guess.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
It depends on what you mean by potential. I voted for Robotics and AI, because I think it has the most potential for new technology. However if you want to know what has the most potential to make money I'd say alternative energy sources.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
It's still silly to lump robotics and AI. If AI gets going, robotics and everything else in the list will be taken care of.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Wasn't this a longer thread somewhere, or am I going crazy?

Uhh...I'd vote for a combination of at least two of those at once.

For instance, a research project I'm looking into involves a combination of nanotech with biotech.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
I say computers, because of the demand. Everyone wants one. Everyone thinks they need one. Money is a great incentive.

kuranes

MBTI Type
XNXP
Wasn't this a longer thread somewhere, or am I going crazy?

Uhh...I'd vote for a combination of at least two of those at once.

For instance, a research project I'm looking into involves a combination of nanotech with biotech.
Ditto.

I guess they wanted a poll attached to it this time. I can't recall if the other one had one. Since Nano starts with miniaturizing things, it could miniaturize computers and other items on the list.

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
Great point about Nano Tech, I think one of its greatest potentials is to be used in conjunction with other sciences and technologies. In terms of computers I think the future lies not necessarily in improving the current technology but utilizing it in a novel way. I think there is already enough advancements and always will be in computers, so people should invest more time in using them in an effort to advance other fields.

Basically I'm a big proponent of advancing knowledge and expertise in one area, while at the same time keeping an eye out for the interesting ways you can apply them in different situations.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
the biotech is waaaay far ahead primed to strike above all of those.

its getting cheaper by the quarter year to have someones genome mapped. eventually it will be like 100 bucks and everyone will be doing it. With this in hand, we will gain a better and better idea of what problems originate where in the genome. Once we know the genes involved, drugs to fix it become much more a reality. Also, with the genetics info becoming common to each person, Preventative medicine will become an ACTUALITY rather than some feel good health psychology bullshit.

Didums

String Theory, there is no debate. Understanding of String Theory leads to understanding all other fields, it could very well be the base theory ontop of which everything else can be explained

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
String Theory, there is no debate. Understanding of String Theory leads to understanding all other fields, it could very well be the base theory ontop of which everything else can be explained

is it really a testable theory? will we have to wait for a few designs AFTER the hadron collider?

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
It's a bit of a vague test! I wanted to choose so many... >.>..

I definitely chose computers because not only are they NOT going away, but they'll continue to advance out of necessity and otherwise. New technology is always sprouting up for them.

As far as what needs attention, that would definitely be Alternative energy sources. but I also feel the research behind nanotechnology could become beautifully useful in the near future.

Medical research is another that can only get better with time and hard work.. but it's neither going to decrease or become dramatically important throughout the century. It'll continue to progress as it has throughout the ages, one discovery and piece at a time.

Robotics and AI just rock.

Global warming ftl. I like my environment.. but I don't think my lungs are going to rupture from the sun tomorrow. Or in the next 100 years.

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
I voted nano technology, because it will push all the other technologies, and is necessary for pushing them. But it's all interconnected... Some of the problems nano technology will solve are poverty and global warming...