• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why is government anti Vaping?

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't smoke or vape, so this isn't about me. My brother does and we have discussed it many times. The anti Vaping stance of the government seemed more about control and revenue than public health.

Why is the government out to destroy vaping? | New York Post

And yet, years ago along came a device that reduces harm from smoking by 95%. The reaction has been silence at times, outright suppression at others. There have been plenty of lies to accompany this bizarre smear campaign.

If smokers switched to e-cigarettes, it would “prevent almost all of the harm from smoking,”Britain’s Royal College of Physicians stated this week,
highlighting growing evidence in favor of e-cigarette use, or vaping. The RCP says it is “unlikely” that vaping is even 5% as dangerous as smoking — and may be substantially safer than that.

Instead of pretending vaping is nearly as dangerous as smoking, the RCP said, we should do the opposite: Tell the truth. If regulation “makes e-cigarettes less easily accessible, less palatable or acceptable, more expensive, less consumer friendly or pharmacologically less effective, or inhibits innovation and development of new and improved products, then it causes harm by perpetuating smoking.”

The finding that vaping is probably at least 95% safer than smoking marks a stunning, landmark moment in the history of public health. Nicotine addiction has traditionally been the single greatest preventable cause of death in the United States. And yet now nicotine has effectively been 19/20ths disarmed. We should celebrate this news. It should be shouted across the land.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

^ pretty much that :(

which is a shame since that's how I quit smoking and I smoked for years and failed at quitting every other way that I'd tried... it's the only thing I've been able to stick to!

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
^ pretty much that :(

which is a shame since that's how I quit smoking and I smoked for years and failed at quitting every other way that I'd tried... it's the only thing I've been able to stick to!

Yup this is how I quit smoking traditional cigs too. Vaping has created a shit ton of people like us which no longer contribute revenue to cigs which is less tax revenue for the govt. In my state we just fought back legislation to tax vaping.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
cuz they're a buncha squaaaress

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yup this is how I quit smoking traditional cigs too. Vaping has created a shit ton of people like us which no longer contribute revenue to cigs which is less tax revenue for the govt. In my state we just fought back legislation to tax vaping.

yeah... here they're under all of the same laws as cigarettes including all of the smoking bans... meaning that at work if I want to vape I have to go to the smoking area with all of the smokers, which is kind of funny since I'm doing it to AVOID breathing smoke :dry:

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
In my opinion it is very simple: any addiction is the enemy of freedom. (how dangarous it is can even be a secondary issue)

Not to mention that social acceptance of this method could cause rapid spread through out the society. Smoking/vaping isn't necessary for life functions and therefore it can be abolished completely. Especially since this can harm people who have nothing to do with smoking and they are often the real victims of this since for them breathing in all the crap isn't voluntary decision.

In other words danger is reduced by 95% and if we presume that smoking causes 5 000 000 premature deaths worldwide every year 5% is still 250 000 people. (plus when you count in familly members hit by this the damage effects millions, as well as healthcare budgets) In other words even with this reduction every year this stuff could kill much more people than wars worldwide.

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
In my opinion it is very simple: any addiction is the enemy of freedom. (how dangarous it is can even be a secondary issue)

Not to mention that social acceptance of this method could cause rapid spread through out the society. Smoking/vaping isn't necessary for life functions and therefore it can be abolished completely. Especially since this can harm people who have nothing to do with smoking and they are often the real victims of this since for them breathing in all the crap isn't voluntary decision.

In other words danger is reduced by 95% and if we presume that smoking causes 5 000 000 premature deaths worldwide every year 5% is still 250 000 people. (plus when you count in familly members hit by this the damage effects millions, as well as healthcare budgets) In other words even with this reduction every year this stuff could kill much more people than wars worldwide.

Then 95% of all food and drink available to people should also be banned because all you really need is a govt issued nutrition packets for life functions? Do you think a North Korean model of resources management would be ideal?

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Then 95% of all food and drink available to people should also be banned because all you really need is a govt issued nutrition packets for life functions? Do you think a North Korean model of resources management would be ideal?

I am sorry but food and drink are by no means the same as "smoking" in my opinion, since smoking of any kind is not trully life important function. For example with alcohol you don't really endanger other people unless drunk driving and similar to that. However with smoking that often is not the case, especially since smoke can stay on the walls/clothing for quite some time.

I am simply generally anti smoking no matter what and I wouldn't drag government into this at all. For me this is simply the question of healthy society/environemnt and I see no real reason to for things not to be this way.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am sorry but food and drink are by no means the same as "smoking" in my opinion, since smoking of any kind is not trully life important function. For example with alcohol you don't really endanger other people unless drunk driving and similar to that. However with smoking that often is not the case, especially since smoke can stay on the walls/clothing for quite some time.

I am simply generally anti smoking no matter what and I wouldn't drag government into this at all. For me this is simply the question of healthy society/environemnt and I see no real reason to for things not to be this way.

Drinking water is key to survival. Any other drinks are not necessary for survival.

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx

You need to find statistics that demonstrate how many other people are killed/injured due to intoxication vs. second hand smoke. I'm going to make the claim intoxication still has a higher victim count. I respect your opinion about smoking but it's different when you want to express your opinion with a gun (then called a law).

á´…eparted

passages
The major concern about vaping is the use of flavoring agents. The biggest concern (and the one with the most press) is a compound called diacetyl. Which is a known carcinogen at high enough levels, and unfortunately has a very pleasent odor and taste.

There are other flavoring small molecules used in vaping liquids that have not undergone rigorus FDA or CDC testing on the effects of direct inhalation in those quantaties. In particular what the carcinogenity of that route is.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
You need to find statistics that demonstrate how many other people are killed/injured due to intoxication vs. second hand smoke. I'm going to make the claim intoxication still has a higher victim count. I respect your opinion about smoking but it's different when you want to express your opinion with a gun (then called a law).

But for me this is lousy logic. If a single person dies out of cigarette smoke that is one too many. In other words I doubt you will find a study that claims that cigarette smoke is completely harmless. I want this thing out of the picture and details don't concern me, they are irrelevent for the bottom line in my opinion.

Regarding the gun analogy, that is a problem with your government and I would try not drag that into the story as well. The bottom line from my side is that there isn't a single real reason that someone experiences a premature death. I grew up in environment/country where law and respecting of the law is never absolute and therefore I don't take all of this too seriously (even I personally find that kind of law practice wrong). Here those that want to brake the law will always find a way and many of them will even get a away with it. (perhaps even multiple times)

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Look, I'll gladly give them vaping if they legalize weed in return. :)wink:)

On this stick-up-the-ass agenda, though? The case that some innocuous thing can very easily become a gateway to other, more devastating things runs both ways, sweetheart. Show me some domestic ban, and I'll show you how some law intended to thwart terrorism and ensure national safety will invariably be repurposed to enforce that ban.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I really don't mind the "you've got to be 18 to do it" and the "it's got to be made in a super clean environment" laws here

what I DO mind is that I quit smoking and still get segregated with the smokers in the smoking areas if I wish to vape in public... it's how I've QUIT smoking for fucks sake :doh:

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
The major concern about vaping is the use of flavoring agents. The biggest concern (and the one with the most press) is a compound called diacetyl. Which is a known carcinogen at high enough levels, and unfortunately has a very pleasent odor and taste.

There are other flavoring small molecules used in vaping liquids that have not undergone rigorus FDA or CDC testing on the effects of direct inhalation in those quantaties. In particular what the carcinogenity of that route is.

Agreed, but by these standards alcohol and cigarettes which are definitely bad for your health should be banned

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Because government bureaucrats don't actually want people to quit smoking. Smokers are a cash cow; they pay tons of sales taxes and they die young so they don't collect on Social Security and Medicare. They're the ideal citizens.