• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why does modern science scares you?

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I have seen that many sceintific threads in this section have posts where people express concern about the modern science.
So I have concluded that we need thread like this one.

Also I know that in modern times more and more people are becoming pleaders of slowing the science down because they are uncomfortable with the result.

So, why does modern science scares you?

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
The only part of modern science that I feel might be scary is the lenght of some equations.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
The only part of modern science that I feel might be scary is the lenght of some equations.

Something tells me that you are not member of the group I am trying to get in touch with.

but I see what you mean.

S

Sniffles

I pretty much summarised my basic point on this issue here:
http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/311244-post8.html

Of course such concerns about science are not entirely new. Nietzsche warned mankind about making science into a new god well over 100 years ago. And skepticism about "modern" science is also a major element of postmodern discourse.

It's not science per se that scares me, but scientism.

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
I fear excessive capitalism and ignorance more. we are still quite far from a scienetific age because a large percent of the population do not understand how technology is manufactured.

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
I fear excessive capitalism and ignorance more. we are still quite far from a scienetific age because a large percent of the population do not understand how technology is manufactured.
And they never will. Most people are not capable of understanding highly technical subjects. That's not to say that they're dumb. They're just good at other things, like cleaning toilets and having lots of children.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
And they never will. Most people are not capable of understanding highly technical subjects. That's not to say that they're dumb. They're just good at other things, like cleaning toilets and having lots of children.

I broke my penzil

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
I have seen that many sceintific threads in this section have posts where people express concern about the modern science.
So I have concluded that we need thread like this one.

Also I know that in modern times more and more people are becoming pleaders of slowing the science down because they are uncomfortable with the result.

I don't particularly like any large organized community with a lot of influence. This includes the scientific community. They are less worrisome than the other large influencial communities, but they are still subject to human nature. Power corrupts and all that.

One specific problem is that I think people overestimate the abilities of science. If you want to use science to explain phenomena in the natural world, then great. It's awesome for that. If you believe that science can cure all of humanity's ills, then I think you're seriously deluded.

yenom

Alexander the Terrible

That doesn't sound very type 3. I thought type 3 always do where the wind blows, in that case finance and capitalism.

Anyway, science is slowing down. There are very few breakthroughs after the
innovation of computer and the internet, because science is becoming increasingly complex and fewer and fewer people can understand its language.
many innovations in this decade are quite pointless compared to those in the past, so Moore's law might not be so accurate.

In this age, we should worry more about economic slavery than technological slavery; to worry what the horror of 200 years later is pointless.

Bufo

MBTI Type
onto
Enneagram
5w4
I'm not scared of modern science at all. I'm scared of the layman's opinion on certain new theories and discoveries.

Anonymous

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
It doesn't. However, I do find it to be hilarious when people freak out about rather dull stuff that simply sounds bad, like those human/animal hybrid embryos they were talking about a while back.

Well, hilarious until the ignorance makes its way to legislation, that is.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Ok, but from more practical point of view

Why is it wrong to mix human and animal DNA?
My thoughts on mixing human and animal DNA:
http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...255-mixing-human-animal-dna-4.html#post324137

About being "afraid" of modern science, I don't trust people, and our history with scientific advances (e.g. the H-bomb, thalidomide poisoning, countless other forms of medicinal poisoning, eugenics). It isn't so much "modern science" per se, more that people irresponsibly use scientific advances for their personal/national profit in a manner that is extremely harmful. Don't get me started on what I think about big pharmas, clinical trials and psuedoscientific reports designed to boost sales (Vitamin C! Antioxidants!!).

Most of the time I don't think about it. My main annoyance is with people who get miseducated by the poorly-educated sensationalist media about scientific concepts (e.g. The LHC will DESTROY THE WORLD ZOMGZOMG LETS KILL OURSELVES!!!) and think that because they read a few newspaper articles they're an expert. Today I saw a headline in the paper that said "End of the world postponed; LHC breaks down twice". Completely stupid.

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

I'm worried we won't be able to develop ourselves fast enough to keep up with what we are developing. That we will create things that are amazing and wonderful, but utterly out of our control because we, in our excitement, lacked any long-term foresight.

I wonder, sometimes, if we are going to ever create a computer that will work better than our own brains. What will that mean? Of what use would a computer more efficient, intelligent, and creative than us be? Is it because we wish to experience the new? Would we then, in the creation of our newfound super-efficient-intelligent-creative computer, find ourselves able to observe a being (because by that point it probably would be a reasonably sentient machine) that is "better" than us? And in observing this being would we then attempt to reassert intellectual superiority over it because we have now found something to apire to?