User Tag List

123 Last

Default How LSD helped us probe what the ‘sense of self’ looks like in the brain

How LSD helped us probe what the ‘sense of self’ looks like in the brain
    April 13, 2016
    https://theconversation.com/

Excerpt:
    Every single person is different. We all have different backgrounds, views, values and interests. And yet there is one universal feeling that we all experience at every single moment. Call it an “ego”, a “self” or just an “I” – it’s the idea that our thoughts and feelings are our own, and no one else has access to them in the same way. This may sound a bit like post-war French existentialism or psycho-analysis, but it’s actually a topic that’s being increasingly addressed by neuroscientists.

We were part of a team interested in finding out how this sense of self is expressed in the brain – and what happens when it dissolves. To do that, we used brain imaging and the psychedelic drug LSD.

Our sense of self is something so natural that we are not always fully aware of it. In fact, it is when it is disturbed that it becomes the most noticeable. This could be due to mental illnesses such as psychosis, when people might experience the delusional belief that their thoughts are no longer private, but can be accessed and even modified by other people. Or it could be due to the influence of psychedelic drugs such as LSD, when the user can feel that their ego is “dissolving” and they are becoming at one with the world. From a scientific point of view, these experiences of “ego death” or ego dissolution are also opportunities to search for this sense of self in the brain.

Our study, led by Enzo Tagliazucchi and published in Current Biology, set out to probe what is happening in the brain when our sense of self becomes altered by psychedelic drugs (link to Enzo’s paper). We studied 15 healthy volunteers before and after taking LSD, which altered their normal feelings of their selves and their relationship with the environment. These subjects were scanned while intoxicated and while receiving placebo using functional MRI, a technique which allows us to study the brain’s activity by measuring changes in blood flow. By contrasting the activity of the brain when receiving a placebo with its activity after taking LSD, we could start exploring the brain mechanisms involved in the normal experience of the self.

< Full Story >

Happy Bicycle Day, Typoc!
    the formless thing which gives things form!
    Found Forum Haiku Project

Positive Spin | your feedback welcomed | Darker Criticism
    Likes Galena, chickpea, Cellmold liked this post

Enneagram
    8w9

I've done a bit of self experimentation on this topic. Good times....
    Your representative owes you, not his industry only, but his judgment; and he betrays, instead of serving you, if he sacrifices it to your opinion.
    - Edmund Burke

8w9 sx/so

Senior Member RedAmazoneFriendZone's Avatar
    MBTI
    *NF*
    Enneagram
    852 sx/sp
    Socionics
    HIGH Fi

One can experience that too into deep, serious and regular meditation. No need to ruin your brain with drugs for that.
    ALL THAT WE SEE OR SEEM TO BE IS BUT A DREAM WITHIN A DREAM
    Unfortunately we are all fucking contagious Smile and see what happens around you......

Level 8 Propaganda Bot SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

Psychedelics

"According to Leary, Metzer & Alpert (1964), ego death, or ego loss as they call it, is part of the (symbolic) experience of death in which the old ego must die before one can be spiritually reborn.[13] Ego loss is... complete transcendence − beyond words, beyond space−time, beyond self. There are no visions, no sense of self, no thoughts. There are only pure awareness and ecstatic freedom from all game (and biological) involvements. ["Games" are behavioral sequences defined by roles, rules, rituals, goals, strategies, values, language, characteristic space−time locations and characteristic patterns of movement. Any behavior not having these nine features is non− game: this includes physiological reflexes, spontaneous play, and transcendent awareness."
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft
    Likes Officer Ed Powell liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    954 sx/sp
    Socionics
    TRSH None

Quote Originally Posted by ExNinjaTropPervertie View Post
    One can experience that too into deep, serious and regular meditation. No need to ruin your brain with drugs for that.
    The negative effects of LSD are practically nil unless taken with great frequency, a la Syd Barrett.

I recommend it at least once to all adults. I think our congress members could benefit from a big LSD party.
    Give me clarity
    Likes Vasilisa, meowington liked this post

MBTI
    *NF*
    Enneagram
    852 sx/sp
    Socionics
    HIGH Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Anaximander View Post
    The negative effects of LSD are practically nil unless taken with great frequency, a la Syd Barrett.

I recommend it at least once to all adults. I think our congress members could benefit from a big LSD party.
    How about addiction problems ? How about people (mainly young ones) that die suddenly because of hallucinations in rave parties ?

How about secondary effects that one can't control and predict ?

I saw people under the effect of extasy, LSD, MDMA and cocaine. Most of the time those have deep emotional, social, sexual, or other problems.

They deny them and think they are cool but that is pure bullshit.

The worst is when you see them become paranoid......... That is really scary.

Most of people under drug habits become very arrogant, proud, and feel superior to others. But deep inside there is fear, void and unresponsive behaviour.

In my very humble opinion, they can only attract people with low self-confidence/dependant people or people alike.

I suppose to try LSD just for "an experiment" you should be some kind of scientist, clever enough, and mainly very stable. Not everybody is the same in front of chemicals...

If people like to play with their life, they are free to do whatever they want. Life isn't a game.
    Unfortunately we are all fucking contagious Smile and see what happens around you......

MBTI
    *NF*
    Enneagram
    852 sx/sp
    Socionics
    HIGH Fi

Quote Originally Posted by SpankyMcFly View Post
    Psychedelics

"According to Leary, Metzer & Alpert (1964), ego death, or ego loss as they call it, is part of the (symbolic) experience of death in which the old ego must die before one can be spiritually reborn.[13] Ego loss is... complete transcendence − beyond words, beyond space−time, beyond self. There are no visions, no sense of self, no thoughts. There are only pure awareness and ecstatic freedom from all game (and biological) involvements. ["Games" are behavioral sequences defined by roles, rules, rituals, goals, strategies, values, language, characteristic space−time locations and characteristic patterns of movement. Any behavior not having these nine features is non− game: this includes physiological reflexes, spontaneous play, and transcendent awareness."
    You can learn that too with technics and real PLAYS such as theatre...

But for sure, it will require much more time and a great deal of patience to learn useful skills than if you just swallow some magic pill.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    954 sx/sp
    Socionics
    TRSH None

Quote Originally Posted by ExNinjaTropPervertie View Post
    How about addiction problems ? How about people (mainly young ones) that die suddenly because of hallucinations in rave parties ?

How about secondary effects that one can't control and predict ?

I saw people under the effect of extasy, LSD, MDMA and cocaine. Most of the time those have deep emotional, social, sexual, or other problems.

They deny them and think they are cool but that is pure bullshit.

The worst is when you see them become paranoid......... That is really scary.

Most of people under drug habits become very arrogant, proud, and feel superior to others. But deep inside there is fear, void and unresponsive behaviour.

In my very humble opinion, they can only attract people with low self-confidence/dependant people or people alike.

I suppose to try LSD just for "an experiment" you should be some kind of scientist, clever enough, and mainly very stable. Not everybody is the same in front of chemicals...

If people like to play with their life, they are free to do whatever they want. Life isn't a game.
    I hate to say it, but tripping at a rave or any place with lots of people, bright lights, and loud music is highly inadvisable.

LSD should be taken in a quiet, placid, comfortable environment with one or two well trusted friends.

Is LSD addictive in the same sense as Ecstasy, Cocaine, etc?

There's always going to be some people who abuse any substance, but that doesn't mean the substance itself can't be or isn't beneficial.

Were you an addiction counselor or EMT or something?
    Give me clarity

Level 8 Propaganda Bot SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that today 4/20/2016 is another reason this thread has garnered attention. PURE speculation, but my 'intuition' told me in a smoke filled dream.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft
    Likes Officer Ed Powell liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    954 sx/sp
    Socionics
    TRSH None

Man I wish I'd scored a bag for today.
    Give me clarity