• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How LSD helped us probe what the ‘sense of self’ looks like in the brain

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's a serious substance not to be toyed with, and its definitely not for everyone. But with the right precautions it is absolutely something I would recommend to all those who think they would enjoy and or gain something from it.

As long as you know your general tolerance for stuff going in, don't take too much and follow the guidelines above (esp the trip buddy part) it should be smooth sailing.

I would say for those considering it, it helps to be excited about it. If you've let yourself be convinced to take it and are anxious going in, things might not go as well as hoped. If you are going to do it, hop in with both feet and relax.

Also timing when you take it can be important. It's not something you can take at 9pm and expect to get much sleep that night. You'll probably still be feeling it at around 5am, and trying to get to sleep with acid in you is a hopeless proposition (at least for me). I've had good experiences taking it at between 5 - 8 for a night time trip. I'm not super well versed in day tripping because I usually have shit to take care of during the day that precludes me from being able to trip. I've heard camping is a great time to trip with a partner or friends during the day.

Also, don't expect crazy visuals (unless you take too much). The effects I've experienced are more general environmental changes like the walls seeming to breathe, moderate color alterations, and patterns on the wall moving. For instance, if you have plaster walls that aren't smooth, the textured patters will change if you focus on them. I've found that visuals usually occur in a medium. Like posters with patterns, or a flag on the wall seeming to wave. That's why movies can be fun. I've gotten good visual results with them. Can't recommend good music esp through a record player highly enough. I've had great experiences watching fairly epic bluerays. Interstellar has been great, as has drive, and Sicario.

Plan ahead and have food and drink ready. Trying to cook tripping is not advisable. Also, trying to deal with a delivery person tripping isn't recommended unless you are experienced. In that same vein, don't do activities where you have to interact with others if you are new to the experience. Until you get your sea legs you'll want to stay with friends who are also tripping, and do so in a place that is comfortable and known to you. This is called set and setting. Once you've gotten a handle on it you can try going for a bike ride to the local movie theater, or to a concert or whatever you feel comfortable with.

Just be safe and indulge responsibly.

All that is very true as far as useful preparation and what to expect.

I think people who have never tried it fundamentally misunderstand the nature of the drug. It's not addictive. And while it changes your perception of reality it doesn't exactly misrepresent reality. People imagine that you hallucinate, like you'll see silly things like leprechauns and unicorns. It doesn't quite work that way, it increases your perceptions of reality, like the study hints at, by reducing boundaries. This means that you'll take in more sensory information and you'll somehow process it in different ways, also your thoughts and feelings intermingle with the experience.

You really do mostly get out of it what you're going into it with since while on it you're in ways creating your own reality. My buddy who had the ego death is subject to a lot of negative thoughts, paranoia and such in his normal consciousness, and our experiences got increasingly dangerous for him. I'm strongly centered, and not easily alarmed, I am able on some level to always hold onto some thread of reality under the strongest of doses and stranger and stressful situations.

This is not essentially a recreational drug. While it can be fun, and it a good use of a Friday night, it's not exactly for the escapist, the person who wants to have a good time. This is just never guaranteed. The true escapists I know, the ones that don't want to face life and themselves stay faar away from LSD, it scares the shit out of them. And so it should, it's hard not to get real, unvarnished glimpses of yourself and your life while tripping.

Dosages themselves are very hard to understand because of the psychological nature, and the unverifiable strength and different delivery methods of the drug. I've taken everything from 1ug to something around 6-8ug. The greater you take, the more likely you're going to see visuals, but the actual value and interest of the trip is all centered in on the attitude you take it with and just what you do, who you're with, etc. I had a friend of mine take 1 hit with us, and he looked way more far gone than I would've expected, he got some sort of enhanced effect from some sort of gestalt effect with us.

As far as this 'ego death' business. I've experienced it, and I've seen it being experienced. This is not something that's akin to a Buddhist thing, the death of ego isn't a 'good' thing, it's just something that happens. If you take enough, you forget that you're a person. You still function as one, but your boundaries of self bleed out and the world bleeds into you. It doesn't make you a better person, you'll certainly learn something from it, but ultimately it's a chemical/psychological effect of the drug, not necessarily spiritual.

This drug is actually very special to me, as I can tell it is to you, although I never go as far as to urge somebody to do it. It's one of those things a person has to want to do of their own accord.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
This drug is actually very special to me, as I can tell it is to you, although I never go as far as to urge somebody to do it. It's one of those things a person has to want to do of their own accord.

It is very special. And I totally agree that it is not a recreational drug. It's not something you take to feel better. Absolutely it needs to be something you want to do.

Where as most drugs are like having a beer, Hallucinogens are like going on vacation in your own head. You go somewhere learn something new and the experience changes you.

The biggest problem for most folks is that it can be tough to get your hands on. For those who are tech savvy and know how to google you can find just about anything.

I've been thinking about getting some more for this year. The great thing about it is, a little bit of it really goes a long way. I made one purchase that wasn't very expensive last february and it lasted me all of 2015.

Given that its such a perceptionally powerful drug, and the experience can be so profound, its kind of hard to describe to those who haven't done it. It's like the Matrix, no one can tell you what it is, you have to see it for yourself.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think it should be legal but perhaps require a doctor's prescription.

It's an amazingly therapeutic drug when taken in the proper conditions.

It's my favorite drug (and I've experimented with many, my least favorite being "K") but it's one I'm happy doing every 5 to 10 years, at the most.

When you've done as many drugs as I have, sobriety itself can be an interesting and exciting experience.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's a serious substance not to be toyed with, and its definitely not for everyone. But with the right precautions it is absolutely something I would recommend to all those who think they would enjoy and or gain something from it.

As long as you know your general tolerance for stuff going in, don't take too much and follow the guidelines above (esp the trip buddy part) it should be smooth sailing.

I would say for those considering it, it helps to be excited about it. If you've let yourself be convinced to take it and are anxious going in, things might not go as well as hoped. If you are going to do it, hop in with both feet and relax.

Also timing when you take it can be important. It's not something you can take at 9pm and expect to get much sleep that night. You'll probably still be feeling it at around 5am, and trying to get to sleep with acid in you is a hopeless proposition (at least for me). I've had good experiences taking it at between 5 - 8 for a night time trip. I'm not super well versed in day tripping because I usually have shit to take care of during the day that precludes me from being able to trip. I've heard camping is a great time to trip with a partner or friends during the day.

Also, don't expect crazy visuals (unless you take too much). The effects I've experienced are more general environmental changes like the walls seeming to breathe, moderate color alterations, and patterns on the wall moving. For instance, if you have plaster walls that aren't smooth, the textured patters will change if you focus on them. I've found that visuals usually occur in a medium. Like posters with patterns, or a flag on the wall seeming to wave. That's why movies can be fun. I've gotten good visual results with them. Can't recommend good music esp through a record player highly enough. I've had great experiences watching fairly epic bluerays. Interstellar has been great, as has drive, and Sicario.

Plan ahead and have food and drink ready. Trying to cook tripping is not advisable. Also, trying to deal with a delivery person tripping isn't recommended unless you are experienced. In that same vein, don't do activities where you have to interact with others if you are new to the experience. Until you get your sea legs you'll want to stay with friends who are also tripping, and do so in a place that is comfortable and known to you. This is called set and setting. Once you've gotten a handle on it you can try going for a bike ride to the local movie theater, or to a concert or whatever you feel comfortable with.

Just be safe and indulge responsibly.
I've always preferred night tripping. 6 PM is ideal. I would advise reserving at least one entire day off for recovery with little to no interaction with the outside world and some time to reflect on the trip.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
I think it should be legal but perhaps require a doctor's prescription.

It's an amazingly therapeutic drug when taken in the proper conditions.

It's my favorite drug (and I've experimented with many, my least favorite being "K") but it's one I'm happy doing every 5 to 10 years, at the most.

When you've done as many drugs as I have, sobriety itself can be an interesting and exciting experience.

As true as all that is, I can understand why it isn't legal. I consider myself a pretty prudent and thoughtful person and even I had a bad trip because of my laissez faire attitude towards it. Luckily I learned from it and am more cautious/thoughtful in my use these days, but if it can happen to me the chances for accidents among the much dumber general populace is pretty large.

I'm pretty libertarian on these things and would be OK will it being legal if I had my druthers, but its such a serious and powerful experience that I can understand the hesitancy to legalize it.

It would be tough to find the right balance for how hard it should be to get for the general populace were it legal.

Anyway, the argument is rather academic because I don't see it being legalized any time soon, and I have no trouble finding it myself. Its just an occasional hassle to jump all the tech and security hurdles to get it.

I would think the general perception of it would be more realistic in a post legal weed USA though.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
I've always preferred night tripping. 6 PM is ideal. I would advise reserving at least one entire day off for recovery with little to no interaction with the outside world and some time to reflect on the trip.

I'm actually pretty functional the next day, as long as I get enough sleep and get to bed before its too late at night.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It sounds interesting. I'm kind of neutral on the subject, I don't exactly have a desire to try it, or shrooms, peyote or similar (though I have a friend who likes shrooms whenever she's done it), but I'm also not exactly opposed to try at least once, if the situation and comfort/friends/trusting atmosphere existed. Though also based on comments as to what it entails, I have a strong suspicion it wouldn't exactly be a positive experience. Possibly a neutral/growth opportunity, but also possible more negative. Not sure really. I think I have a decent idea of what it could end up like, but the reason I suspect it could be sobering is precisely because I know the sorts of things that go on in my head in everyday life. I think I'm a strong, grounded person, but at the same time...could see the drug pulling up more negative things. I don't think I'm an overly negative person, but, well, I suppose it would be interesting. ha.

Interesting thread/read, very informative.

á´…eparted

passages
It sounds interesting. I'm kind of neutral on the subject, I don't exactly have a desire to try it, or shrooms, peyote or similar (though I have a friend who likes shrooms whenever she's done it), but I'm also not exactly opposed to try at least once, if the situation and comfort/friends/trusting atmosphere existed. Though also based on comments as to what it entails, I have a strong suspicion it wouldn't exactly be a positive experience. Possibly a neutral/growth opportunity, but also possible more negative. Not sure really. I think I have a decent idea of what it could end up like, but the reason I suspect it could be sobering is precisely because I know the sorts of things that go on in my head in everyday life. I think I'm a strong, grounded person, but at the same time...could see the drug pulling up more negative things. I don't think I'm an overly negative person, but, well, I suppose it would be interesting. ha.

Interesting thread/read, very informative.

As others have said, you should only do it if you want to. Anyone who tries to pressure or convince you to do it is coming from a wrong standpoint. It's not something to go into it thinking "oh I'll make it work". Nope, you can't "make it work". You have to be 100% comfortable with yourself and others you're around seeing you in an altered state.

It's also really hard for you predict what it will be like. By all accounts I should go absolutely mad and get consumed while tripping, but that doesn't happen. There are individuals who seem completely chill and even keeled and they totally freak out and have terrible trips even after multiple attempts. The drug very well could pull up negative things. What makes a trip good or bad is how you respond to those, which is more of a decision than one might think, even if it's really difficult to do.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
As others have said, you should only do it if you want to. Anyone who tries to pressure or convince you to do it is coming from a wrong standpoint. It's not something to go into it thinking "oh I'll make it work". Nope, you can't "make it work". You have to be 100% comfortable with yourself and others you're around seeing you in an altered state.

It's also really hard for you predict what it will be like. By all accounts I should go absolutely mad and get consumed while tripping, but that doesn't happen. There are individuals who seem completely chill and even keeled and they totally freak out and have terrible trips even after multiple attempts. The drug very well could pull up negative things. What makes a trip good or bad is how you respond to those, which is more of a decision than one might think, even if it's really difficult to do.
That all makes sense, and I agree, I'd only do it if I was curious. I don't hang around people who would pressure me into something like that, and would be wary of anyone who did. :)

á´…eparted

passages
My LSD Experience

I forgot that I wrote out my LSD experience in detail a few months ago when I tried it back in January (posted it in my blog). Given the discussion at hand, I thought I would share it here. I can answer peoples questions if they have any.

Masokissed

Spoiled Brat 🍒
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Acid doesn't just take you on a trip. It takes you on a damn vacation.

á´…eparted

passages

Chloroform is so much more efficient :D. Hexanes would work well as well and isn't as dangerous as butane (though equally flamable).

I really want to try dabbing (was gonna get a settup). Though I'm not allowed to smoke anymore due to medical reasons :(, I might make an exception to do it if I come across it in the future.

meowington

Parody Parrot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Everytime I read about LSD I think of this video :

Gets pretty funny around 1:20
I've never had the chance for LSD and now I wouldn't even consider it. Tried shrooms a few times though. Lots of fun. Took us 1 hour to hook up the nintendo 64 :D