User Tag List

12 Last

Question Help! Me Make My Robot!

I have a lot of friends who fancy robots so will sometimes make them gifts. I use found objects for them and the end result is similar to this:

The one I am about to make - matters more to me - so I am making it at home as opposed to renting studio space/tools. I've invested in some tools knowing I will use them for other things.

Because my friend has a sweet tooth I am making the body out of a vintage candy tin that opens (functional = he can keep things inside if he wishes).

He enjoys photography {Brownie camera -head}, rides an old Triumph motorcycle {radiator cap - back} and his parents are Immigrants {the cartography tool comes from there - arm}.

I need to cut into these pieces (and other components I'm not showing) to assemble and modify. I have a Dremel for such and have been practicing cutting on cans etc...

Anyone have any cutting, dremel or adhesive tips to ease the build? The materials are irreplaceable so the room for error is small. I generally use JB weld but am a bit concerned about setting/manipulating time.

Hope this is the right forum for this. I was torn between Art...Home...Science?

Many thanks in advance (warm smile).
    Likes magpie, Wind Up Rex, Qlip, Ghost, Chrysanthe liked this post

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

Is this more like a sci-fi sculpture or will this robot have electronic functions? I already know I'm not as creative as you in designing things but I may be able to help Frankenstein it to life. (evil laugh)
    Likes Cloudpatrol liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by ZombieNinjaPirate View Post
    Is this more like a sci-fi sculpture or will this robot have electronic functions? I already know I'm not as creative as you in designing things but I may be able to help Frankenstein it to life. (evil laugh)

Sadly I lack the cerebral wherewithal to make it function from an electronic standpoint. I have a dream of making one of these with that component.

I have fantasized about making one that could 'spark' out of it's mouth or butt

Or to have a working metre of sorts (i.e. an old metre of some kind could move from "hot to cold" or "0 to +#" to represent the robot's heart.) Alas, it's a dream inside my head only...

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudpatrol View Post

Sadly I lack the cerebral wherewithal
    Ohh, that's a fancy word I haven't heard in a while! I'm going to use it in random conversation with people today to see how far I could stretch it.

to make it function from an electronic standpoint. I have a dream of making one of these with that component.

I have fantasized about making one that could 'spark' out of it's mouth or butt

Or to have a working metre of sorts (i.e. an old metre of some kind could move from "hot to cold" or "0 to +#" to represent the robot's heart.) Alas, it's a dream inside my head only...
    You could install a thermal sensor (a tweaked photoresistor could do the job as cheap alternative) with a RGD LED attached where the heart would be. For a spark you would need a run of the mill aluminum electrolytic capacitor that you could firmly wedge into the rectum or mouth.
    Likes Cloudpatrol liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by ZombieNinjaPirate View Post
    Ohh, that's a fancy word I haven't heard in a while! I'm going to use it in random conversation with people today to see how far I could stretch it.

You could install a thermal sensor (a tweaked photoresistor could do the job as cheap alternative) with a RGD LED attached where the heart would be. For a spark you would need a run of the mill aluminum electrolytic capacitor that you could firmly wedge into the rectum or mouth.
    Wordplay! One of my MOST favourite forms of play!

run of the mill aluminum electrolytic capacitor that you could firmly wedge into the rectum or mouth.

Amazing! I can't believe this could become reality. Will look into this stuff later to see if I think I have the skillz to accomplish it.

Likes Chrysanthe liked this post

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

I think the robot should have the head of a donkey, the soul of a man and the wings of a dove!!!!

(Also, it's pretty rad that you make robot sculptures.)
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

Quote Originally Posted by phobik View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Up Rex View Post
    I think the robot should have the head of a donkey, the soul of a man and the wings of a dove!!!!

(Also, it's pretty rad that you make robot sculptures.)

Thanks!

Very creative! Almost mythological. I will have to marinate in inspirational imagery...

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudpatrol View Post
    Thanks!

Very creative! Almost mythological. I will have to marinate in inspirational imagery...

The second one is pretty cool. Looks almost Babylonian.
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth