• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Help! Me Make My Robot!

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member
I have a lot of friends who fancy robots so will sometimes make them gifts. I use found objects for them and the end result is similar to this:

Robotype_zpsdikiyzyr.jpg

The one I am about to make - matters more to me - so I am making it at home as opposed to renting studio space/tools. I've invested in some tools knowing I will use them for other things.

Because my friend has a sweet tooth I am making the body out of a vintage candy tin that opens (functional = he can keep things inside if he wishes).

Robot%20Bod_zps4ba71zcm.jpg

He enjoys photography {Brownie camera -head}, rides an old Triumph motorcycle {radiator cap - back} and his parents are Immigrants {the cartography tool comes from there - arm}.

Robot%20Par_zpsr2ww6moo.jpg

I need to cut into these pieces (and other components I'm not showing) to assemble and modify. I have a Dremel for such and have been practicing cutting on cans etc...

Anyone have any cutting, dremel or adhesive tips to ease the build? The materials are irreplaceable so the room for error is small. I generally use JB weld but am a bit concerned about setting/manipulating time.

Hope this is the right forum for this. I was torn between Art...Home...Science?

Many thanks in advance (warm smile).

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
Is this more like a sci-fi sculpture or will this robot have electronic functions? I already know I'm not as creative as you in designing things but I may be able to help Frankenstein it to life. (evil laugh)

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member
Is this more like a sci-fi sculpture or will this robot have electronic functions? I already know I'm not as creative as you in designing things but I may be able to help Frankenstein it to life. (evil laugh)

:)

Sadly I lack the cerebral wherewithal to make it function from an electronic standpoint. I have a dream of making one of these with that component.

I have fantasized about making one that could 'spark' out of it's mouth or butt :tongue:

Or to have a working metre of sorts (i.e. an old metre of some kind could move from "hot to cold" or "0 to +#" to represent the robot's heart.) Alas, it's a dream inside my head only...

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
:)

Sadly I lack the cerebral wherewithal

Ohh, that's a fancy word I haven't heard in a while! I'm going to use it in random conversation with people today to see how far I could stretch it.

to make it function from an electronic standpoint. I have a dream of making one of these with that component.

I have fantasized about making one that could 'spark' out of it's mouth or butt :tongue:

Or to have a working metre of sorts (i.e. an old metre of some kind could move from "hot to cold" or "0 to +#" to represent the robot's heart.) Alas, it's a dream inside my head only...

You could install a thermal sensor (a tweaked photoresistor could do the job as cheap alternative) with a RGD LED attached where the heart would be. For a spark you would need a run of the mill aluminum electrolytic capacitor that you could firmly wedge into the rectum or mouth. :D

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member
Ohh, that's a fancy word I haven't heard in a while! I'm going to use it in random conversation with people today to see how far I could stretch it.

You could install a thermal sensor (a tweaked photoresistor could do the job as cheap alternative) with a RGD LED attached where the heart would be. For a spark you would need a run of the mill aluminum electrolytic capacitor that you could firmly wedge into the rectum or mouth. :D

Wordplay! One of my MOST favourite forms of play!

run of the mill aluminum electrolytic capacitor that you could firmly wedge into the rectum or mouth.
:rotfl:

Amazing! I can't believe this could become reality. Will look into this stuff later to see if I think I have the skillz to accomplish it. :roundthnx:

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think the robot should have the head of a donkey, the soul of a man and the wings of a dove!!!!

(Also, it's pretty rad that you make robot sculptures.)

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member
I think the robot should have the head of a donkey, the soul of a man and the wings of a dove!!!!

(Also, it's pretty rad that you make robot sculptures.)

Thanks! :hug:

Very creative! Almost mythological. I will have to marinate in inspirational imagery...

Donkey%20Man_zpsrgq4pi7h.jpg

Donkey%20Wings_zpsrnfbpzay.jpg

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member
The second one is pretty cool. Looks almost Babylonian.

Agreed [MENTION=7254]Wind Up Rex[/MENTION] :)

Images like that are common to a town in France called Gonfaron "le Pays où les Ânes Volent!" {the land where donkeys fly} where there is local legend of a flying Donkey with panniers wings.

Hope you have a swell weekend!

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
*wonders why it's so personal*
*thinks you should add a personal voice recording activated by the heart button*

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member
*wonders why it's so personal*
*thinks you should add a personal voice recording activated by the heart button*

Wow. (lost in thought) What a dazzling suggestion.

The recipient is a Love of my life. Not romantically, but he has been a firm support and playmate while I have encountered staggering losses. He is leaving and I want to give him a tangible expression of my gratitude. I am glad you perceive it as being highly personal = that's my intent :)

Brilliant idea. Truly.

Ha! Also mind-boggling [MENTION=6723]phobik[/MENTION]! See this is the kind of brain juice I am talking about that would translate well onto page even if blurbs accompanied by graphics (in the past I've done joint projects with illustrators by advertising in Wanted ads. i.e.. Asking for a cartoonist to create drawings to flesh out my words + share profits). ANYTHING can be improved with lasers :happy0065:

Masokissed

Spoiled Brat 🍒
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You don't need to make one. Just find an INTP.