• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

No, there's still no evidence e-cigarettes are as harmful as smoking

Olm the Water King

across the universe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
https://www.theguardian.com/science...idence-e-cigarettes-are-as-harmful-as-smoking

No, there's still no evidence e-cigarettes are as harmful as smoking

...In reality this study tells us little or nothing about the safety of e-cigarettes compared to smoking. The main results in the study compare e-liquid treated cells with completely untreated cells, and show more damage to those exposed to e-liquid vapour.

In only one small part of the article, not covered in the press release and not picked up by the media, do the authors mention that they also exposed some cells to tobacco smoke, using media from Marlboro Red filter cigarettes. Yet the authors could not directly compare the cigarette and e-cigarette treated cells, because the cigarette treated samples all died within 24 hours. Cigarette smoke was so toxic that the cells did not survive beyond this short period, whereas the e-cigarette cell lines were topped up with e-liquid every three days, and the testing continued for several weeks...

...Distorting study findings to say otherwise does a huge disservice to policy makers, health professionals, the general public and most importantly smokers who are looking for accurate advice about electronic cigarettes. Recent research in both the UK and USA has shown that smokers increasingly believe that these alternatives to tobacco are just as harmful as cigarettes . Studies like this one and media hype about their results contributes to this misperception. Meanwhile, tens of thousands of people suffer and die prematurely each year in the UK from cancer, heart disease and other conditions directly linked to smoking. Electronic cigarettes offer one possible escape route. Researchers and journalists need to stop blocking the exit.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I will say from personal experience as someone who regularly deals with the public in the UK that an enormous amount of people in this area smoke.

I also frequently hear about the equal harm of e- cigarettes as a justification for carrying on. Even worse I hear people who are using e- cigarettes claiming they know it's just as bad and wondering why they bothered switching.

At least it's clear they aren't bothered by research.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think the point it that they have been released without enough long term research so actually we do not know the results of long term e cigg smoking. I can tell you, from experience that it is a hell of a lot easier to overdose on nicotine with an e-cigg than it is with general ciggs. One huge issue I have with the eciggs is that a single filter is equal to approx 40 ciggs.... so you have difficulty telling when you go from one cigg to another... it's seamless so your addiction can just keep picking up speed. I'll not be surprised if we see issues with this sooner rather than later.