• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

study finds visible clues to ovulation

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
If the people "out there" are reverting to cave man behavior, I'll stay put - thanks.
Attraction = "cave man behavior"? Are we not animals?

Does denial of and hiding from our baser instincts make us superior, or is it our recognition and acceptance of them which allows us to move beyond them?

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Attraction = "cave man behavior"? Are we not animals?

Does denial of and hiding from our baser instincts make us superior, or is it our recognition and acceptance of them which allows us to move beyond them?
If we move beyond them, we are no longer displaying cave man behavior. Sure, we are animals. But we don't go around wearing only our natural body coverings, relieving ourselves in any convenient corner, spending most of our day eating what we find in the wild, and fighting each other for mates.

Attraction itself is not cave man behavior, though the criteria we use and our methods of pursuit can look alot like it.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
http://www.cognella.com/pdf/smith2_sneak_preview.pdf

This is important.

The above link here is a pdf. Go to page 10 of the pdf (or "page 5" of the book) to read "Caveman Masculinity" by Martha McCaughey. [MENTION=9811]Coriolis[/MENTION], this goes along a lot with what you are saying. I think you'll find it very interesting. This particular article is 13 pages (the pdf itself is much longer, obviously don't read the whole thing, just the article I'm point out with relevant information).

A snippet:

Caveman masculinity has become an “ethnic option,” a way of identifying and
living one’s manhood. Mary C. Waters explains that ethnic identity is “far from the
automatic labeling of a primordial characteristic” but instead is a complex, socially
created identity. As an ethnicity, caveman masculinity is seen as not only impossible
but undesirable to change. The caveman as an ethnicity reveals an embrace of biology
as a reaction to social constructionist understandings of masculinity, feminist demands
on men, and the changing roles of men at work and in families.

á´…eparted

passages
Scientists are just now figuring this out? They need to get out of the lab more. I've known this since shortly after puberty. :doh:

Maybe it's cause I'm a gay man, but this just confounds me. I thought it was BS until my friend who can point it out easily started to do so and tried to explain the signs and they were lost on me.

:shrug:

Kheledon

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Very interesting. Thanks for posting.

I have known men who were "on the prowl" who made it a point to keep track of the menstrual cycles of women in whom they were interested. Said men would wait for ovulation to "make their move" (so to speak). Doing so greatly improved their chances of "success" with these women.

Women During Ovulation More Likely to Cheat - Why Women Cheat

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Study finds ovulation clues

TLDR: Men find ovulating women more attractive, women find them threatening.

I really would like to see these pictures. Bias can be very easy to skew with this through subtle shifts in facial expressions that may be seen as "more attractive" and may have nothing to do with ovulation.

I'm skeptical of these sorts of studies. I think there was one a while back that said 70% of women were aroused by other women based on pupil dilation. It was bad science. Or at least, the reporters of these findings injected a lot more than what the study found.

Pupil dilation = arousal.

When it may be symptomatic of a lot of things (fear, shock, arousal) rather than causal of attraction.

I don't know. I just don't take these things at face value.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
I'm skeptical of these sorts of studies. I think there was one a while back that said 70% of women were aroused by other women based on pupil dilation. It was bad science. Or at least, the reporters of these findings injected a lot more than what the study found.
On the other hand, the undergraduate psychology students who volunteered for the study for extra credit (assumption, I know) probably appreciated that arousal was measured merely by pupil dilation. :)