• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Strong Genetic Link To Homosexuality in Men Found

á´…eparted

passages
I won't believe this until the scientists make public the details of what they did and this is proven through scientific method. Right now it's just a suggestion and sounds very psuedo-sciencey.

They are withholding methods for the moment for ethical purposes. Details will come out in the future. Based on what I know though, and past research regarding homosexuality, I believe this to likely be sound.

great_bay

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
It's easy to tell if a person's gay. Gay people are attractive to the smell of other gay people. No complicated test is needed.

Lark

Please do not engage me in this thread again, I will in turn not engage you as well. I already stated that I don't intend to reply to you, and you ignored that twice. Do so again and I will regard it as harassment.

I'm sure you will. Does the last word constitute harassment?

I'll be interested to see how this plays out, as I think I've just figured out what you've been doing all along. Still, it probably represents your way of dealing with people pretty well, which I'm sure in turn represents well your broader visions and that of a lot of like minded people. I'm sure the more tuned in people will take note for themselves.

You all take care now :newwink:

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I was going to say it was strange that you wanted to post a thread you'd no intention of discussing but then I lost heart, its just one of the existential challenges to know that you guys will shape the world for future generations and you'll shape it this way.

Like its not enough that the planet itself is ruined and its resources spent.

I hear gays buy a lot of plastic bags.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I'm not convinced that this is not still part of a wider dilemma following the sexual revolutions of the sixties and seventies, to what extent can or should there be an expectation that strangers be validating and accepting of individuals personal choices, whether they are sexual or anything else, to what extent can or should "society" be expected to seek to engender the norms and customs and practices of minorities or outsiders within the mainstream? At what point is there a mainstream anymore?

Chinese people are Chinese and that's ok (I guess) but I don't see any reason to accept or validate their Chinese-ness. They aren't the mainstream here in the US - they don't matter. They're also strangers and outside of normal customs and practices.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
They always want to cure "disorders", because it's not "normal". They basically just want evolution to stop dead in it's tracks. Recipe for disaster if you ask me.

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Very interesting stuff, and I thank you for sharing. I'm going to email this article to my gender & society professor tonight.

I'm going to pose this question now: Do you think that once more research has been done into this link, some anti-gay organizations will fund research into trying to create a ""cure""?? For so long the debate has been if being gay is a "lifestyle choice" or if it's genetic. Now that we're staring to come towards an answer ("officially", as I'm sure many people have argued that it's genetic for quite a while now), I wonder if this might become a possibility. But should it? Why or why not? Just to add some juiciness and debate into the discussion.

Speaking of which, I highly recommend the film "One Nation Under God." I believe it's still on Netflix. It's about viewing homosexuality as a disease and "conversion therapy" (unsurprisingly, most "cured" homosexuals either revert back to homosexuality after treatment or lead incredibly unhappy lives). I had to watch it for my gender class during the sexuality unit and it was fascinating.

That's a very interesting question to pose, indeed. Just off the top of my head, I'd think those that would be most against the idea of "curing" the gene responsible for it, would be those that say I am gay, therefore, that is me, and have identified with the culture, and sees their identity as one with the community. However, I can see those that view their sexuality as more as just another part of who they are, and don't place it so much as part of the makeup of their identity, may have some interest in this cure. Sort of like those motivational posters for ADHD or other mental illness I've come across that say something along the lines of, "I have ADHD, but I am not ADHD".

But to go off of what [MENTION=20829]Hard[/MENTION] mentioned, this "cure" will most likely not be around for many years down the road, where we can only assume, acceptance will be much more widely held. At that point, the need for such a procedure may be of less significance, except only within the more conservative sects of religions perhaps.

á´…eparted

passages
But to go off of what [MENTION=20829]Hard[/MENTION] mentioned, this "cure" will most likely not be around for many years down the road, where we can only assume, acceptance will be much more widely held. At that point, the need for such a procedure may be of less significance, except only within the more conservative sects of religions perhaps.

I'm not so sure. I think some people would still want it. Being gay is more difficult because your dating pool is much smaller. If someone is not particularly attached to their identity, they might want to convert from having potential access to 5% of the population, to 45% of the population.

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I'm not so sure. I think some people would still want it. Being gay is more difficult because your dating pool is much smaller. If someone is not particularly attached to their identity, they might want to convert from having potential access to 5% of the population, to 45% of the population.

Ya, that is true. Even just out of pure practical reasons, it'd make sense to change out that gene wouldn't it?

á´…eparted

passages
Ya, that is true. Even just out of pure practical reasons, it'd make sense to change out that gene wouldn't it?

It definitely does. I personally wouldn't do it because the idea of suddenly switching to what I am attracted to feels... wrong? Difficult to put to words, but it's very very unappealing.

Lark

Chinese people are Chinese and that's ok (I guess) but I don't see any reason to accept or validate their Chinese-ness. They aren't the mainstream here in the US - they don't matter. They're also strangers and outside of normal customs and practices.

I dont think there's any moral equivalence and this sophistry but I'm glad you're trying.

So how do you think it'll go when some active homosexual tests as genetically heterosexual?

Nawh, forget it I dont think you or Hard or any of the other usual suspects on this topic are interested in anything other a hearty round of cheery approval and agreement. I guess you could legislate it or get the forum rules changed to reflect it, what do yah think? ;)

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Nice of you to feel part of things with this ^ I suppose.

Thanks, I do try.

So how do you think it'll go when some active homosexual tests as genetically heterosexual?

Go for who, exactly? But it sounds like a really interesting outcome; I factor that there would be denials and outcry from the loud quarters (yknow that move mainstream areas of society gravitate towards because the broader the fit the more suits you can wear and the more inaccurately you can voice your opinions regardless of agenda or political spectrum) but i think it won't change much.

It shouldn't be forgotten that the obsession over the case of 'natural' in the case of homosexuality is in large due to that it being unnatural is a primary stance by those opposed to it.

Ignoring the fairly large amount of examples of homosexuality in other species (albeit perhaps subject to our interpretation) the main change in this hypothesised outcome would be a stronger reinforcement of conscious choice (although it can be argued that conscious choice is itself a natural occurrence despite philosophical debate about it existing at all) actually accelerating the advocates not diminishing them, as the fallback of tolerance can no longer be preached with regards to what is natural and therefore unchoosable. Instead, it being a choice, means all the more reason to fight for it.

In short: It would be much worse from your perspective.

Lark

Thanks, I do try.

Go for who, exactly? But it sounds like a really interesting outcome; I factor that there would be denials and outcry from the loud quarters (yknow that move mainstream areas of society gravitate towards because the broader the fit the more suits you can wear and the more inaccurately you can voice your opinions regardless of agenda or political spectrum) but i think it won't change much.

It shouldn't be forgotten that the obsession over the case of 'natural' in the case of homosexuality is in large due to that it being unnatural is a primary stance by those opposed to it.

Ignoring the fairly large amount of examples of homosexuality in other species (albeit perhaps subject to our interpretation) the main change in this hypothesised outcome would be a stronger reinforcement of conscious choice (although it can be argued that conscious choice is itself a natural occurrence despite philosophical debate about it existing at all) actually accelerating the advocates not diminishing them, as the fallback of tolerance can no longer be preached with regards to what is natural and therefore unchoosable. Instead, it being a choice, means all the more reason to fight for it.

In short: It would be much worse from your perspective.

I'm pretty sure you know nothing about my perspective, you think you do, and you are more prepared to deal with what you think you know than contemplate anything else. Life's easier that way.

The thing is that for some people it is unnatural, for the vast majority of people, for the vast majority of history it has been unnatural. Now the suggestion is that not only has this been the case but unless the world is overtaken by aberrant genes or genetic engineering that's unlikely to change.

I'm not preaching anything and not suggesting anyone fight for anything, its a strange sort of natural that you need to fight for it and reinforce it that with fighting but then no one's likely to be receptive to that particular insight who needs that same reinforcement. I think people should breath after their own fashion and not seek the wholesale restructuring of society to provide them with reassurance about how they're living their lives. I'd like future generations to be able to expect, at the very least, to benefit from the same sorts of norms and traditions I was able to take for granted growing up.

Jaguar

The thing is that for some people it is unnatural, for the vast majority of people, for the vast majority of history it has been unnatural.

The mistakes of the past need not be repeated in the future.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I'm pretty sure you know nothing about my perspective, you think you do, and you are more prepared to deal with what you think you know than contemplate anything else. Life's easier that way.

The thing is that for some people it is unnatural, for the vast majority of people, for the vast majority of history it has been unnatural. Now the suggestion is that not only has this been the case but unless the world is overtaken by aberrant genes or genetic engineering that's unlikely to change.

I'm not preaching anything and not suggesting anyone fight for anything, its a strange sort of natural that you need to fight for it and reinforce it that with fighting but then no one's likely to be receptive to that particular insight who needs that same reinforcement. I think people should breath after their own fashion and not seek the wholesale restructuring of society to provide them with reassurance about how they're living their lives. I'd like future generations to be able to expect, at the very least, to benefit from the same sorts of norms and traditions I was able to take for granted growing up.

You sound very threatened right now.

Are you sure you aren't in need of reassurance here? I don't need to assume anything about your perspective as you regularly demonstrate it. As for what I know I'm an uncertain individual and uncertain individuals are constantly assessing and reassessing their own knowledge.

And knowledge is very changeable, just like society.

Jade Heart

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp
Ahem... let's ignore whoever is being disruptive to this thread, yes? :unsure:

I don't understand. If people's homosexuality has a genetic link, and those people like others of their own gender, and only a man and woman can breed, AND genes can only be passed down from parent to child... where did the homosexual genes come from?

Blackout

Permabanned
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't think it really makes sense for sexual orientation to all that often be a choice.

Think about it, does it really make sense? you like someone of a particular gender because you are sexually attracted to them...
When has who you are attracted to really been a choice? it's like this overwhelming desire that has puzzled and bemused human beings since the dawn of mankind. Like, wtf.

I am sure at times there are social reasons for such a choice, but it would mostly have to be biological.