• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Reddit

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I remember Reddit was the coolest thing when I first found out about it in 2008. Lots of interesting intellectual topics were discussed, a great sense of humor, and enthusiasm for anti-establishment political candidates. Then somewhere down the line, things just went wrong. If you've posted on reddit, what are your opinions on it? What do you think happened to it?

Hawthorne

corona
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Digg invasion.

AMAs became well known marketing tools.

Karma, comedy, and novelty became the focal points and more serious discussions were shunted off to more obscure subreddits. Had to follow the train. If a missed a stop you were lost, lost, lost.

It's still pretty good if you've taken the time to customize your subscriptions and personal front page.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Digg invasion.

Karma, comedy, and novelty became the focal points and more serious discussions were shunted off to more obscure subreddits. Had to follow the train. If a missed a stop you were lost, lost, lost.

It's still pretty good if you've taken the time to customize your subscriptions and personal front page.

I agree with that, although I haven't checked out the subreddits.

Some of the more popular subreddits, like r/worldnews, got really into casual racism. A lot of the content there seemed like it could have been created by Stormfront types. The SRS people meant well, but they didn't really know the best way to counter it.

Hawthorne

corona
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp

Some of the more popular subreddits, like r/worldnews, got really into casual racism. A lot of the content there seemed like it could have been created by Stormfront types. The SRS people meant well, but they didn't really know the best way to counter it.

Oh absolutely. They'll argue it death but so many over there are supremely sensitive to their respective boogie men. They wield the downvote like a dislike, and rarely make the effort offer counterpoints of their own.

Part of it could be an age related. I wonder how well reddit keeps track of its user demographics...

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I remember Reddit was the coolest thing when I first found out about it in 2008. Lots of interesting intellectual topics were discussed, a great sense of humor, and enthusiasm for anti-establishment political candidates. Then somewhere down the line, things just went wrong. If you've posted on reddit, what are your opinions on it? What do you think happened to it?

So, there's ANOTHER site that after you started posting at/using went downhill?

I think it's time to look in the mirror.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't think I got into it early enough to know.

Reddit is a cyclical habit for me. I'll go there every day for a while until I get drained and drop it cold turkey for a few months, but then eventually return for the writing prompts.

Emperor Enigma

Wandering...
Enneagram
3w4
It's like a bar where people do stand-up comedy now. All about being funny and seeking the attention. How sad.

Blackout

Permabanned
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Digg invasion.

Lol, like when anything becomes too popular or well used; it becomes deluded almost.

Blackout

Permabanned
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Popularity=racism.

Look at youtube, it's like the internets public urinal. But I guess racism is still pretty common. That's why I still think most people are closet bigots...

Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to be PC, or a SJW; and I do think people have to right to think stuff like that if they want...
I just think it's sad that it is so difficult for the world to go beyond that.

But I guess even if it's not full on bigotry, we'll probably always make fun of people for what they look like, or where they come from, and what their heritage is. So maybe it's not so bad.

á´…eparted

passages
Reddit is gigantic. Huge. I rather like reddit and have been on there since 2013. The great thing about it, is its hugeness. You can find different areas to fit what you want. As a result, different areas of reddit will range from amazing, to horrible. The website is just too darn big to be all good or all bad.

The recent drama on there has been rediculous. I'm sort of in the middle (meaning, my views are split one side and the other, and it evens out). But ultimately, I don't think reddit is going to die. It's not as good as it used to be, but so what? It's still good enough. People on there get their undies in a bunch over "censorship" WAYYYY too easily. Granted, in some areas it's a legitimate complaint and problem.

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
Things change. People change. Websites change. Communities change. Change is the only constant. This is true everywhere. You've just changed in a different direction/path than Reddit has.

I've felt like that about a lot of communities online. And groups of friends in person. "Gee, the dynamic this group had was awesome back when _____." because I just don't click with it like I used to. Gaming guilds/clans. Hell, even TypoC vent server - I miss the old crew.

It's gotten bigger. It's had lots of leadership changes that influence the direction. That causes pretty rapid change.

/r/aww still has lots of great pictures of cats.