• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Powered Exoskeleton for the Paralyzed

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
For its excesses, Boy Bands and professional wrestlers, Western civilization hasn't done too badly.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm always interested to see humanitarian innovations. We really got involved when my father (an OT) and my sister set out to create a sled-like device that attached to wheelchairs enabling them to get out on the ice with their families when they're skating.

ygolo

My termites win
I wonder if we get skates along with the exoskeliton, if we can travel "biking distances." Or if we put a cover on our regular bikes, and bodify the gear ratios, if using the exoskeleton could get nomal bikes to motorcycle speeds.

Would you spend $30K ($20K for exoskeleton + $10K bicycle upgrades) for a veheicle requiring no fuel (but would have to plug in)? (You can get an eltric motorcycle for under $10K so probably not)

But, more on the theme of exoskeletons:
A Wearable Motorcycle | Popular Science

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I wonder if we get skates along with the exoskeliton, if we can travel "biking distances."
That's a good idea, but you'd need a portable nuclear reactor to supply power for more than a few minutes.

ygolo

My termites win
That's a good idea, but you'd need a portable nuclear reactor to supply power for more than a few minutes.

That fits right in with the "corrupt a wish" thread. Well done. Now that thread can move on.

miggies

MBTI Type
ENFP
the only issue i can see with the exoskeliton is if the unit were to suddenly lose its power or a malfunction, cause i'm pretty sure that if that were to happen they would have to deal with a dead test subject depending on how badly he was paralized

kuranes

MBTI Type
XNXP
It would be funny to see one going out of control, walking through the "giant cake" float in a parade, or flailing away into a hotly contested corporate stock holders' meeting about a merger, where votes were being carefully tallied up....