• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

A Very Big Bug Once Ruled the Seas

Olm the Water King

across the universe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Fossils Show Big Bug Ruled the Seas 460 Million Years Ago - US News

A Very Big Bug Once Ruled the Seas

A real big bug problem: Iowa fossils show giant sea scorpion was dominant predator of its time.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Whoa! That's wiggy. Also, I lol'd at "a weird water bug as big as Tom Cruise."

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I would like to clone that Jurassic Park style and release it in the oceans worldwide as part of a dastardly villainous plot.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I would like to clone that Jurassic Park style and release it in the oceans worldwide as part of a dastardly villainous plot.

It could be cloned for food, I imagine. Although your Bond villain plot would be more entertaining.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Imagine one day, going to Red Lobster and picking one of these guys out of the tank. Dare to dream!

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think they'd need a large swimming pool sized tank to keep these "lobsters" in.

I can imagine people ordering all sorts of prehistoric shit.

"I'll have the trilobyte stegosaur surf 'n' turf"

(Yes, I realize these animals are from completely different eras)

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think they'd need a large swimming pool sized tank to keep these "lobsters" in.

I can imagine people ordering all sorts of prehistoric shit.

"I'll have the trilobyte stegosaur surf 'n' turf"

(Yes, I realize these animals are from completely different eras)

I wonder if trilobite caviar would ever catch on as a sort of a dish for sophisticates.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Then why aren't we eating them? We could make a fortune.

Bug of the Sea

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Apparently when they're caught in traps, other terrifying deep sea creatures scavenge them before they can be retrieved.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
There's actually a pattern of sea creatures at the bottom of the ocean generally being much larger. It's called Deep-sea gigantism. My favorite example of this would be the giant and colossal squids. Live specimens haven't actually been spotted in modern times until relatively recently; it's thought that they used to surface much more frequently, therefore making the sea monsters of yore more a matter of fact than fiction.

evilrubberduckie

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
There's actually a pattern of sea creatures at the bottom of the ocean generally being much larger. It's called Deep-sea gigantism. My favorite example of this would be the giant and colossal squids. Live specimens haven't actually been spotted in modern times until relatively recently; it's thought that they used to surface much more frequently, therefore making the sea monsters of yore more a matter of fact than fiction.

If they used to surface in the past more often I wonder if they were confused to being "the Kraken" of the sea by ancient Pirates, and going farther back, Vikings.

curiouser and curiouser