• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

A drug that aids cognition? Sign me up

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
modafinil-the-future-of-neuroenhancement

I just read this article and I thought it would interest a few here.

Modafinil: the future of neuroenhancement?

The 'smart pill' has huge potential to boost cognitive function, making us more productive and innovative, but we need to improve the way that we analyse the effect this kind of drug has on both healthy brains and wider society before we can consider who gets to use the drugs

ByblessRUAIRIDH MCLENNAN BATTLEDAYbless,blessANNA-KATHARINE BREM

Thursday 27 August 2015

Extension of our 'natural' capacities through science and technology is not a new phenomenon – it has been a key driver of many evolutions of human society throughout history: movement with the wheel; navigation with the compass; communication with the wire. The field of 'neuroenhancement' – using our understanding of how the brain works more directly to try to improve the way it functions – might well be the next such catalyst.

Our newblessresearchblessreviewing the cognitive effects of the “smart pill” modafinil has found that itblesscanblessimprove the performance of healthy people on cognitive tasks, meaning it can be considered the first of these “neuroenhancement agents”. But, what is also clear is that we need to radically improve the way that we analyse the effect this kind of drug has on both healthy brains and wider society.

Read the rest at the link.

If there you could get this drug without prescription, would you use it?

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm a kinda-sorta transhumanist. Totally would do this. I'd try to weigh out side effects.. but I totally would do this.

Wait. It's already FDA-approved? For a thing that I have anyway? Hell, sign me up.

Hawthorne

corona
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
If you find this interesting, you'll probably find nootropics culture as a whole pretty neat as well.

I dabbled in this sort of thing in high school. I briefly looked into Moda but was unable to determine how its effects were significantly different from the same thing one would get from (detoxing and reupping) caffeine and l-theanine both of which are more readily available, better researched for the general population, and whose mechanisms are better understood. Similar issues with Ritalin and Adderall though I know several people without ADHD diagnoses who swear by their benefit.

Anyway, neuro enhancers have always interested my inner transhumanist so if ever the above and some other concerns are properly answered, I'd absolutely give it a go.

Evee

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I, too, would consider it.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
modafinil-the-future-of-neuroenhancement

I just read this article and I thought it would interest a few here.

Read the rest at the link.

If there you could get this drug without prescription, would you use it?

Because we should compare a drug that affects our body chemically with great inventions that are purely tools that do not affect us chemically.

Need more data and more people to guinea pig it before I jump on

Opal

MBTI Type
ENTP
Modafinil's analogue, Adrafinil, is available over-the-counter, though I can't say I recommend either.

GarrotTheThief

The Green Jolly Robin H.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
it should be noted that the man who discovered Adderal was named Achillies and he accidentally killed himself in the 80's while on adderal experimenting with another cognitive enhancer. Remember, high IQ doesn't mean you aren't stupid.

á´…eparted

passages
A quick breeze through on the compund shows me that this is no better than using ritalan to get better grades on tests, and appears less safe than that.

No thank you.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's a stimulant, correct? I need to do more research.

If so, I'd have to give this a lot of thought before jumping into it. I was diagnosed ADHD but I've had less than stellar experiences with Ritalin and Adderall.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I gave up my stimulant of choice, caffeine, a few months ago. It was ineffective and the side effects grew out of control.

I really don't need another stimulant in my life. My INTP son is doing much better now that he is off stimulants.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
A quick breeze through on the compund shows me that this is no better than using ritalan to get better grades on tests, and appears less safe than that.

No thank you.

never done ritalin, but have tried adderall and had a bad enough reaction to it that any stimulant used with the purpose of focus scares me personally that i would think thrice about trying this. and probably wouldn't. but that's just me :shrug:

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
never done ritalin, but have tried adderall and had a bad enough reaction to it that any stimulant used with the purpose of focus scares me personally that i would think thrice about trying this. and probably wouldn't. but that's just me :shrug:

What reaction? Just out of curiosity

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
What reaction? Just out of curiosity

i went on an unexpected trip where i thought i had blown up the world and destroyed all of humanity and was actually on a space ship being taken to my execution. but they made the ship look like chicago and put robots that looked like all the people so i spent the night crying scared feeling extremely guilty and terrified. not fun. so yeah i do not touch adderall.

and you know why i thought this? i couldn't beat a game of solitaire and i heard voice saying that if i didn't win the earth was going to be destroyed and it would be my fault.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
i went on an unexpected trip where i thought i had blown up the world and destroyed all of humanity and was actually on a space ship being taken to my execution. but they made the ship look like chicago and put robots that looked like all the people so i spent the night crying scared and terrified. not fun. so yeah i do not touch adderall.

It's like Ne and Si on steroids taking Fi for a joy ride...well...atleast it was fun for Ne and Si. It's like...trust me, this will be fun...oh, you should probably...buckle up.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
It's like Ne and Si on steroids taking Fi for a joy ride...well...atleast it was fun for Ne and Si. It's like...trust me, this will be fun...oh, you should probably...buckle up.

trust me it fucking wasn't fun at all.