• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

A love letter to the Internet of old

Vasilisa

Symbolic Herald
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

93JC

“I think a lot of internet has become a mall in terms of our off-the-shelf conformity,” he said. “These days it feels like the most room we have to define ourselves online is our choice of profile and cover pictures on social networks like Facebook or LinkedIn. They’re controlled environments that iron out many of the wilder intricacies of personal taste that used to define self-expression on personal home pages.”

Reminds me of something I tangentially posted about a while ago:

Sometimes, choices can paralyze us with anxiety and exhaust us. But sometimes, choices reduce anxiety by making us feel like we've searched exhaustively -- and now we're ready to buy.

Bringing it back to social media, I wonder if that's one reason why Facebook quickly eclipsed Myspace. Myspace was comparatively open and allowed users to customize their pages with gifs and music and backgrounds and all sorts of other virtual baubles, whereas Facebook is a relatively closed space by comparison. What Facebook did wasn't so much a novelty as it was taking the Myspace model and "dumbing it down", making stylistic choices on behalf of the 'consumer'. And yet they still offered enough choices that the user never lost the ability to sell themselves. They dialed back the number of decisions left up to the users just enough that people flocked to it and left Myspace to wither on the vine. I wonder if Facebook's delicate balance between decision fatigue and single-option aversion was deliberate or coincidence.

Funny how more and more of us are becoming adept at creating websites but the prevalent style has become more and more simple and in a way "sanitized".

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I feel that I can define stages of my life through the popular personal websites/social media with me. I came of age along with the Internet. :cry: And I'm so glad instagram didn't come out til I was a (somewhat) adult.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I feel that I can define stages of my life through the popular personal websites/social media with me. I came of age along with the Internet. :cry: And I'm so glad instagram didn't come out til I was a (somewhat) adult.

Same here.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I love this stuff. Maybe it's pure nostalgia, but I'm always drawn to the rough beginnings of things. To be reminded of the internet before it learned to internet.

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Those are the kind of websites I would make, if I had any interest in web design. Except I would use Comic Sans everywhere.

Does anyone else here remember trying to connect to the Internet using Juno? Those were the days. I remember it showed how many minutes you'd been online, and I'd be like, "Crap, Mom's going to know I was on the computer all day playing Acrophobia!"

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
A sound forever seared into the memories of many of us:

I used to be able to know what bps I was connected at by sound alone. I hope I was able to reclaim those brain cells.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

my_icon_tater_by_tanzanie-d7r47cf.gif