• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How tall would 16 buildings need to be to house the world's population? (split)

Mane

Permabanned
It's 7.3 billion, and yeah we can. With good engineering we can.

You'd need 4,600km boxes with the same structure engineering of the Taipei world financial center (Because you wanted something boxy). That would even give the average person some leg room with one sq meter each.

That's not that big. Might be expensive though.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
You'd need 4,600km boxes with the same structure engineering of the Taipei world financial center (Because you wanted something boxy). That would even give the average person some leg room with one sq meter each.

That's not that big. Might be expensive though.

You haven't taken height into consideration. It could be tower like structures, if the box is 'closed' then you can probably use the ceiling for support but not sure about that

manhattan for example has a population density of 66,940 people per square mile

Mane

Permabanned
You haven't taken height into consideration. It could be tower like structures, if the box is 'closed' then you can probably use the ceiling for support but not sure about that

manhattan for example has a population density of 66,940 people per square mile

The height is 508m. Same engineering as the Taipei 101.

I suppose you might be able to create denser floors with less head space, but that's get iffy - if you have people wider then average it gets compensated by having other people taking less space then average, if you put the floors just high enough for the average person there's a lot of legs then are going to have to be cut off. You could alternatively put every person in a box of their own and just place those on top of one another, but then you'll need more support columns for the individual stacks which take more of the space inside. On the other hand.. You could probably be to build the giant boxes in space so that you don't need the support to fight off gravity, just to hold the thing together. That increases the cost by a lot though, at least without an existing industry up there, which another NTP is working on (Musk) but it's still a wait.

Alternatively, since they will likely die in there anyway, you could just have a furnace in the entrance calculate the total mass of the ash. If they need to be alive you'd need life support, and if they'd need to actually have lives, well.. with space to move and shit and fuck, with agriculture and industries to maintain them, then... You kind of end up back with earth's landmass.

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
The height is 508m. Same engineering as the Taipei 101.

I suppose you might be able to create denser floors with less head space, but that's get iffy - if you have people wider then average it gets compensated by having other people taking less space then average, if you put the floors just high enough for the average person there's a lot of legs then are going to have to be cut off. You could alternatively put every person in a box of their own and just place those on top of one another, but then you'll need more support columns for the individual stacks which take more of the space inside. On the other hand.. You could probably be to build the giant boxes in space so that you don't need the support to fight off gravity, just to hold the thing together. That increases the cost by a lot though, at least without an existing industry up there, which another NTP is working on (Musk) but it's still a wait.

Alternatively, since they will likely die in there anyway, you could just have a furnace in the entrance calculate the total mass of the ash. If they need to be alive you'd need life support, and if they'd need to actually have lives, well.. with space to move and shit and fuck, with agriculture and industries to maintain them, then... You kind of end up back with earth's landmass.

Are you sure??
The way I calculate it, I'm not using some towers as then you have to recalculate and speculate but just using an existing large city with roads, shops and all that stuff
so manhattan is according to wikipedia 57km2 for 1,8 million people (approximating) so you end up with for 1/16 of 7,000,000,000 people, needing 253,972km2 which is 'only' twice the size of the state of New York. Compared with the about 152 millions km2 of land on earth (of course mountains etc)

And that state of new york is not particularly huge compared to other US states

Mane

Permabanned
Are you sure??
The way I calculate it, I'm not using some towers as then you have to recalculate and speculate but just using an existing large city with roads, shops and all that stuff
so manhattan is according to wikipedia 57km2 for 1,8 million people (approximating) so you end up with for 1/16 of 7,000,000,000 people, needing 253,972km2 which is 'only' twice the size of the state of New York. Compared with the about 152 millions km2 of land on earth (of course mountains etc)

And that state of new york is not particularly huge compared to other US states

Depends what you count in it, New York isn't exactly self sufficient. I found this, which has an interesting take on the question:

What If All 7.1 Billion People Moved To Tunisia? - Wait But Why

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Depends what you count in it, New York isn't exactly self sufficient. I found this, which has an interesting take on the question:

What If All 7.1 Billion People Moved To Tunisia? - Wait But Why

Well yeah but the question only regarded putting them there, so we could store them like meat or something or on the other side of the spectrum have a self sufficient 'box'
Now when it comes to feeding them the 'issue' is of course that if your goal is to save space you're faced with the issue that the frame of reference we're using is a square function (or close enough) rather than volumetric. By which I mean that everything starts with PLANTS, and plants need sunlight. so if you pile 100 fields of potatoes up you end up with 99 deadfields and 1 working out.
But then again there's lots of other options, vertical farming, clever use of mirrors, mushrooms and of course if you have a decent source of energy you can pretty much create the light that feeds the damn plants in the first place. Then there's genetic engineering to increase yield and stuff. But we already do that to a degree

Mane

Permabanned
So... Considering the friendship between Hard & EJCC (And showbread?) and her general call to action attitude and his general dislike of shenanigans, is anyone else kind of surprised they haven't split the thread yet, or even simply moved the non-Hard stuff to the off topic? Did it not get noticed yet? Are they too busy? Are they taking the time to think things through (J/k), or has it really not gotten reported yet?

Mane

Permabanned
Well yeah but the question only regarded putting them there, so we could store them like meat or something or on the other side of the spectrum have a self sufficient 'box'
Now when it comes to feeding them the 'issue' is of course that if your goal is to save space you're faced with the issue that the frame of reference we're using is a square function (or close enough) rather than volumetric. By which I mean that everything starts with PLANTS, and plants need sunlight. so if you pile 100 fields of potatoes up you end up with 99 deadfields and 1 working out.
But then again there's lots of other options, vertical farming, clever use of mirrors, mushrooms and of course if you have a decent source of energy you can pretty much create the light that feeds the damn plants in the first place. Then there's genetic engineering to increase yield and stuff. But we already do that to a degree

There is also a question of feeding mechanism - are we hooking them up to machines or giving them meals like in jails or are we letting them walk around and buy food? You need to account for food waste.

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
There is also a question of feeding mechanism - are we hooking them up to machines or giving them meals like in jails or are we letting them walk around and buy food? You need to account for food waste.

I say we go full matrix on their asses and save space. But frankly then we might as well just scan 'upload' (it's not actually upload, of course) their minds and host all of them in a satellite orbiting the sun somewhere. Then we can just keep a digital copy of their dna and some phenotypical info. all digital. perhaps that's be more efficient.

á´…eparted

passages
So... Considering the friendship between Hard & EJCC (And showbread?) and her general call to action attitude and his general dislike of shenanigans, is anyone else kind of surprised they haven't split the thread yet, or even simply moved the non-Hard stuff to the off topic? Did it not get noticed yet? Are they too busy? Are they taking the time to think things through (J/k), or has it really not gotten reported yet?

I was being considerate hoping you would stop. I was wrong, but I suspected you had an angle with this.

I would very much appreciate you stop, or didn't go off with an obvious, purposful, and inane derail in the first place, full well knowing this kind of bullshit pisses me off.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Let's not derail the split thread, too. It could be its own interesting topic were it not junking up somebody's type-me thread.

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I've just noticed they had taken this out of the main thread.

Oh, Woe, what will we ever do far from the nourishing tits of the mother thread.

I mean I think we were being on topic [MENTION=22098]Mane[/MENTION] whatever the topic was.

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Let's not derail the split thread, too. It could be its own interesting topic were it not junking up somebody's type-me thread.

derail the split thread :laugh:

That's actually quite interesting. What if we kept derailing a thread at the rate of 1 split thread a day starting off with one split derail.
How long would it take to create more derails than admins could handle and therefore stop the malicious geometric growth of the multi-derail-verse [MENTION=22098]Mane[/MENTION] [MENTION=5837]93JC[/MENTION] [MENTION=4660]Vulcan[/MENTION] [MENTION=1180]whatever[/MENTION]

How would one go about creating a self perpetuating 'derail meme' in the first place?

[MENTION=20829]Hard[/MENTION] Mane is not your enemy, he's an ENTP, it's a natural function of entps to go off on tangents they feel are completely relevant. Blaming us for it is akin to blaming a black person for being black. You can if you want. But that's what it is.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
derail the split thread :laugh:

That's actually quite interesting. What if we kept derailing a thread at the rate of 1 split thread a day starting off with one split derail.
How long would it take to create more derails than admins could handle and therefore stop the malicious spread of the multi-derail-verse [MENTION=22098]Mane[/MENTION] [MENTION=5837]93JC[/MENTION] [MENTION=4660]Vulcan[/MENTION] [MENTION=1180]whatever[/MENTION]

How would one go about creating a self perpetuating 'derail meme' in the first place?

[MENTION=20829]Hard[/MENTION] Mane is not your enemy, he's an ENTP, it's a natural function of entps to go off on tangents they feel are completely relevant. Blaming us for it is akin to blaming a black person for being black. You can if you want. But that's what it is.

we'd need [MENTION=360]prplchknz[/MENTION] for the greatest derail web possibilities :yes:

*is happily distracted from studying Incident Response to Disasters*

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

I'm an INTP, but I also tend to irritate some more rigid folks with my tangents, to the extent of annoying other INTPs. One moderator at INTPcomplex called it "fluff." I tried to ask for clarification on what they meant by it, but the response was essentially "I know it when I see it." Of course, I sometimes wonder if that person was an INFJ.