• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How tall would 16 buildings need to be to house the world's population? (split)

Mane

Permabanned
I agree with [MENTION=1180]whatever[/MENTION] I couldn't live with so many people having a little place for my own. Never ever.

Technically since we're dividing the world population by 16, you'll be living with a lot less people then you already do now. Even less if we actually adjust it to type populations, something I don't think we've touched upon yet, but probably should, since that's the origin of the debate. We should also establish how we move children around to the correct box once we know their type, since it isn't certain that they'd be the same as their parents (Very few people are).

Thanks for reminding me -- I should report this thread so that you aren't disappointed. Edit: Oh wait, did it already get split at least once? Rofl.
Yes and it was just a few moments after I said it - fantastic timing.

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
heh. Well, I almost got to the end of the thread before someone stole my thoughts from me.

Why not just put everyone in a large blender and make cat-food patties out of them?
I bet we could really pack things in.
Holy hell. Now that's good thinking.

Kas

Fabula rasa
Technically since we're dividing the world population by 16, you'll be living with a lot less people then you already do now. Even less if we actually adjust it to type populations, something I don't think we've touched upon yet, but probably should, since that's the origin of the debate. We should also establish how we move children around to the correct box once we know their type, since it isn't certain that they'd be the same as their parents (Very few people are).

It would be a nice experiment checking how would behave people being only around others similar to them. We could make reality shows so in every box they could see what is happening in another 15. Such a good anti-utopian scenario.

Mane

Permabanned
It would be a nice experiment checking how would behave people being only around others similar to them. We could make reality shows so in every box they could see what is happening in another 15. Such a good anti-utopian scenario.

You mean dystopian?

Honestly my instinct is to look at Israel - my own place - as the best warning anecdote about why not to do it. Much like people of a type, I think Jewish culture throughout the diaspora has evolved to fulfill some very particular ecological niches within other people's nations.
But inn making our own, it meant that people raised in families carrying a culture of financial thinking or expected to follow their fathers and grandfathers as doctors ended up more likely to work in a factory. And now we are the world's only nation tat has unemployment in medicine. When a major immigration of russian came, we suddenly had a ton of people coming in as air into the qualification bubble, and my grandmother's nursing home had a civil engineer doing the dirty sheets. Nothing is wrong with those jobs, except that most of these people grew up with parents raising them to think in ways that are a lot better suited for others.

I think if an MBTI type tried to do that, they would have much of the same sort of problems, You will have bubbles deflating the value of your type's strengths and an economical disparity in your type's weaknesses. Even worst - because culture evolves - you grow up in it and parts of it sticks and parts of it don't. But MBTI is a description of elements of who you already are as an adult.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
\
I think if an MBTI type tried to do that, they would have much of the same sort of problems, You will have bubbles deflating the value of your type's strengths and an economical disparity in your type's weaknesses. Even worst - because culture evolves - you grow up in it and parts of it sticks and parts of it don't. But MBTI is a description of elements of who you already are as an adult.

Could you expound on this a little bit? Are you essentially saying, "people would do well to treat MBTI as descriptive rather than prescriptive"?

Mane

Permabanned
Could you expound on this a little bit? Are you essentially saying, "people would do well to treat MBTI as descriptive rather than prescriptive"?

No, I mean... That's probably true, but it's not what I was saying.

Rather I think different types have different strengths and weaknesses with which we provide various contribution to society, and living in a society made of nothing but your own type is going to devalue your strengths while creating critical lacks where your weaknesses are.

If you have a decent eye to spot logical inconsistencies, well - so does everyone else. If you need someone to coordinate a lot of people to work together you might have a much harder time finding someone to fill that job because the people who were interested in doing that are busy analyzing theoretical coordination models as an academic field.

Kas

Fabula rasa
You mean dystopian?

Honestly my instinct is to look at Israel - my own place - as the best warning anecdote about why not to do it. Much like people of a type, I think Jewish culture throughout the diaspora has evolved to fulfill some very particular ecological niches within other people's nations.
But inn making our own, it meant that people raised in families carrying a culture of financial thinking or expected to follow their fathers and grandfathers as doctors ended up more likely to work in a factory. And now we are the world's only nation tat has unemployment in medicine. When a major immigration of russian came, we suddenly had a ton of people coming in as air into the qualification bubble, and my grandmother's nursing home had a civil engineer doing the dirty sheets. Nothing is wrong with those jobs, except that most of these people grew up with parents raising them to think in ways that are a lot better suited for others.

Yes, that's what I meant.

Honestly I'm quite shocked, I didn't think there is a place where unemployment in medicine exists.
Not the same but similar problems I see in my country. Vocational secondary schools and technical secondary schools are being liquidated, because there is a common belief that everyone shoud go to the university. So many people graduate from university and they can't find job in their profession. I don't say it's a bad thing that people are more educated , but there is lacks of people who are trained in the crafts like cobblers, tailors or carpenters. And I see tendency to make exams easier so anyone could study- it doesn't make any sense to me.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yes, that's what I meant.

Honestly I'm quite shocked, I didn't think there is a place where unemployment in medicine exists.
Not the same but similar problems I see in my country. Vocational secondary schools and technical secondary schools are being liquidated, because there is a common belief that everyone shoud go to the university. So many people graduate from university and they can't find job in their profession. I don't say it's a bad thing that people are more educated , but there is lacks of people who are trained in the crafts like cobblers, tailors or carpenters. And I see tendency to make exams easier so anyone could study- it doesn't make any sense to me.

I think this is a big problem in the U.S., too. We need more vocational and technical schools. Not everyone really wants to go to college, and that's fine. We shouldn't tell those people "you have to go to college, and this will automatically land you a job" when it isn't necessarily true.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Rather I think different types have different strengths and weaknesses with which we provide various contribution to society, and living in a society made of nothing but your own type is going to devalue your strengths while creating critical lacks where your weaknesses are.

So you're arguing that the healthiest societies and organizations don't just cater to one specific type of person, but multiple types of people?

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Hmm I am not one to often wave the green flag, but... What about ecological benefits?

Denser populations mean less energy on commuting, narrower distributions of goods, more centralized services, and a much wider territory to let nature reclaim - especially if we included vertical farming within the structure and let go of our farmlands outside. What if learning to live like this can save the ecosystem for future generations? And you know, other species and trees and crap.

Not to mention that if we are giving people apartments and roads and shops rather then beds with feeding tubes, then we already know that people can live like that and even like it - we do so in today's cities all the time. Hell, we could even include parks and some housing with private yards on the roof.

but if you cater to human needs to space and such it'll take up increasingly more room until it cancels out the ecology argument :unsure:

why not just take Bender's suggestion from Futurama and kill all humans?

or, you know, encourage copious use of birth control until there are fewer... I know that I've removed myself from the gene pool willingly :)

Mane

Permabanned
or, you know, encourage copious use of birth control until there are fewer... I know that I've removed myself from the gene pool willingly :)

Actually.... you remember that blood test you had a few years back? Well... Congratulations, if you thought one 'sister' was a handful...

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Actually.... you remember that blood test you had a few years back? Well... Congratulations, if you thought one 'sister' was a handful...

the world does NOT need more than one of me :doh:

must have been terrorists :ninja:

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
8'3" feet if they are all standing + height of roof. Since that's the height of tallest man. Now if we all sit, then maybe half that. I would do laying down, but I don't feel like calculating the area of each person and the area of earth, plus the load bearing structure area to determine feasibility. If feasible...well...with as big as some people are....we maybe back at sitting height.