• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Scientists Baffled After Finding 10th Century Medicine that Kills Superbug

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So, my sweet sweet xann, are you just gonna spam lots of questionable news links for kicks, or... well, are you?

Xann

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So, my sweet sweet xann, are you just gonna spam lots of questionable news links for kicks, or... well, are you?

The sad thing is how unquestionable the vast majority of this forum finds the mass media narrative on things like vaccines and chemotherapy... It's a sad sad day for forumkind when the only person who is vocally open-minded about alternative remedies is an ISTJ ( [MENTION=20113]Tellenbach[/MENTION] ) .

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The sad thing is how unquestionable the vast majority of this forum finds the mass media narrative on things like vaccines and chemotherapy... It's a sad sad day for forumkind when the only person who is vocally open-minded about alternative remedies is an ISTJ (@Tellenbach) .

It's a sad sad day when you choose to automatically take the word of one particular member who barely anyone else here tends to agree with. You think everyone else here is automatically just close-minded and stupid, and the one guy who happens to agree with you is automatically right and intelligent?

Seriously, if you want to discuss and/or post corroborative arguments here with these links, go for it. Prove your case. Just because you can post a link doesn't mean you're showing discernment.

Xann

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's a sad sad day when you choose to automatically take the word of one particular member who barely anyone else here tends to agree with. You think everyone else here is automatically just close-minded and stupid, and the one guy who happens to agree with you is automatically right and intelligent?

Seriously, if you want to discuss and/or post corroborative arguments here with these links, go for it. Prove your case. Just because you can post a link doesn't mean you're showing discernment.

I'm not saying he's necessarily right, just that he's open minded. I also didn't say everyone else, I said the vast majority. I did not take his word on anything, and if I did, the agreement of other members definitely would not factor into it. I did not say he was intelligent either.

So so far, you've managed to attribute 4 falsehoods to me that have nothing to do with me or my posts. The batting average here is so low with your own discernment based on that alone, that it does not make a very compelling case for me to invest any sort of energy into making an argument that will be misread and misinterpreted in favour of the pre-established consensuses here.

Lark

There's that mutant sea monster thing which they discovered washed up on the "American side" of Russia too. Anyone seen that?

Stranger and stranger happenings.

Xann

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There's that mutant sea monster thing which they discovered washed up on the "American side" of Russia too. Anyone seen that?

Stranger and stranger happenings.

Yes, apparently that is extremely similar to the "Stronsay Beast" that washed up on the Orkneys about 200 years ago, of which there are still some samples in a museum in Edinburgh. It was never positively identified though. Strange strange happenings indeed.

Lark

Yes, apparently that is extremely similar to the "Stronsay Beast" that washed up on the Orkneys about 200 years ago, of which there are still some samples in a museum in Edinburgh. It was never positively identified though. Strange strange happenings indeed.

What's happening in the ocean deeps which is driving all these things to the surface and the sharks in land eat bathers on the beaches?

Xann

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What's happening in the ocean deeps which is driving all these things to the surface and the sharks in land eat bathers on the beaches?

Warming sea temperatures are everywhere on the planet now and they are caused by deep ocean volcanism, not melting sea ice.

This change in thermal profiles on the bottom of the ocean destroys the capacity of the salt water pump to move any water around because it is powered entirely by differentials. Hot water rises, is pulled by the tides and sinks as it hits areas farther north when it cools. This is how temperate air is pulled from the southern tropics towards Europe.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
lolwut?

I was pretty excited when I came across this, people were discussing it.. unfortunately, stuff that works and stuff that doesn't work get put to the wayside and forgotten in history all the time.

Take for example, in the 90's (not too long ago at all) it was a BIG deal to teach moms about letting a newborn sleep by itself without stuffed animals and on its back. Reduced SIDS (despite us not knowing the exact cause of it) by a dramatic number. Now-a-days, only 20-30 years later, none of the new moms I know are ever told about it. Hell, they aren't even being told about Honey anymore, which is super dangerous for babies and yet I caught my sister trying to feed it to her own son simply because no one ever told her and all the all-natural-organic people go bananas about how gorgeous and harmless honey is. It was amazing how people just.. forget shit. Honey IS safe and harmless--for some people. For babies? Hello potential botulism poisoning.

There was an interesting thing I heard about the origin of the term "Limeys" and basically it came down to the fact lemons and limes SEEMED similar, and limes were cheaper, so they were given to sailors.. and scurvy came back because lemons have a fuck-ton more Vitamin C than limes do.. Basically the sailors should have been called Lemonys.. but that convenient cure for scurvy was lost to time because of that. No one realized Lemons and Vitamin C and all that shit behind it because limes were thought to be similar and limes didn't help--and they were what was popular at the time.

Trying to figure out what's horseshit and what really worked is a cool, thankless job to research and test.. and unfortunately, people believe what they want to believe. So people who are on the all-natural-medieval-people-were-magically-smart-somehow bandwagon get validation on this particular situation (but conveniently ignore the whole soak-in-mud-and-poop-to-cure-stuff-like-measles remedies) and run with it to validate things that have nothing to do with this pretty cool potential finding.. and really, it just all holds back progress.

And this isn't even mentioning people hate and don't trust studies unless they're already saying something they want the study to say.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Xann said:
It's a sad sad day for forumkind when the only person who is vocally open-minded about alternative remedies is an ISTJ ( @Tellenbach ) .

That's the problem with medicine today. Conventional medicine ignores most non-conventional (non-pharmaceuticals) treatments while alternative medicine ignores effective pharmaceutical solutions. I look at everything and consider all the evidence; most people don't take the time to do this.

Superbugs or anti-resistant strains of bacteria can also be killed with garlic and high doses of nicotinamide.

Vitamin B3 may help in fight against staph infections, “superbugs”

A new study suggests that nicotinamide, more commonly known as vitamin B3, may be able to combat some of the antibiotic-resistance staph infections that are increasingly common around the world, have killed thousands and can pose a significant threat to public health.

The research found that high doses of this vitamin increased by 1,000 times the ability of immune cells to kill staph bacteria. The work was done both in laboratory animals and with human blood.

The findings were published today in the Journal of Clinical Investigation by researchers from Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, the Linus Pauling Institute at Oregon State University, UCLA, and other institutions. The research was supported by several grants from the National Institutes of Health.

Jennifer said:
and the one guy who happens to agree with you is automatically right and intelligent?

Give me a break. We have practically identical tastes in movies and television, which means you also agree with me nearly 100% on entertainment :D

ygolo

My termites win
We still don't understand how most medicine works. We have a vastly better idea than when the life expectancy was half what it is now.

This particular remedy if significant enough will warrant more study. It won't be debunked unless it is bunk.

Also, I'd like to see [MENTION=9627]Xann[/MENTION] and [MENTION=20113]Tellenbach[/MENTION] together. I think it'd be fun. Why don't you guys make to SF Bay for our second attempt at an San Francisco Bay area meetup?

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
Might be legit but if people start using this like they've abused every other antibiotic then the bug will eventually come to resist this remedy also. The fact that it hasn't been used in so long is probably how it remains effective, ironically.

Xann

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No published paper, no good.

"It is simply no longer possible to believe much of the clinical research that is published, or to rely on the judgment of trusted physicians or authoritative medical guidelines. I take no pleasure in this conclusion, which I reached slowly and reluctantly over my two decades as an editor of The New England Journal of Medicine."

- Marcia Angell, MD ("Drug Companies and Doctors: A Story of Corruption." NY Review of Books, Jan. 15, 2009)

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
"It is simply no longer possible to believe much of the clinical research that is published, or to rely on the judgment of trusted physicians or authoritative medical guidelines. I take no pleasure in this conclusion, which I reached slowly and reluctantly over my two decades as an editor of The New England Journal of Medicine."

- Marcia Angell, MD ("Drug Companies and Doctors: A Story of Corruption." NY Review of Books, Jan. 15, 2009)

Not unlike The News which twists things just as well.

My motto is to watch those around you.

Doubt everyone.

Follow this doubt with questions.

Temper with caution.

For all information is riddled with appeasing biases and lies, sprinkled in truth. You have to dissect it all like a brilliant puzzle to piece together The Big Picture.

The only question is. Which of the pieced together data is actually right, if any.