• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Brag About or Show Off Your Programming Prowess

ygolo

My termites win
Xander's thread had me curious about who the best programmer posting to MBTIc is (yes I know "best" is subjective, and often arbitrary. Still, time for the geeks to go all Mike Fink/Davie Crocket).

So go ahead, programmers...tell/show us how good you are at this most purely logical of practical art-forms.

The person who wins this thread will be either the one best at programming and/or the one best at bragging (about being the best programmer). (If I were a betting man, I would bet on Martoon winning this thread. Not sure how he would do it.)

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I am trying to program a little 3D game at the moment, using the Irrlicht SDK programmed in cpp . It was written in CodeBlocks and compiled with the GNU Compiler.

RapidShare: Easy Filehosting

I have included some of the source code + a setup.exe. It is just al little Engine demo, where you can move around via "WASD".

To start the game, you need to select OpenGL Renderer, Direct3D is not compiled into the program, yet.

It basically builds the world out of a scene file I created with Blender 3D and exported. It has basic collision detection, yet that works via triangle selecting and making this meshes solid.

I am working on an advanced Physics engine at the moment, so that the actor can use guns and shoot at objects :). Getting aquianted with the Newton Dynamics SDK for that at the moment.

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I, um, bow down to entropie's mastery of the art :)

The coolest thing I've written is a backdoor program for Linux systems which locks all its pages in RAM, runs with realtime priority and gives you a (basic-cleartext-transmitted-password-security-protected) custom shell prompt on the system with its own rudimentary command language

I thought it was a cool app. Saved us a few times from having to call our datacenter to reboot a misbehaving server.

ygolo

My termites win
I am trying to program a little 3D game at the moment, using the Irrlicht SDK programmed in cpp . It was written in CodeBlocks and compiled with the GNU Compiler.

RapidShare: Easy Filehosting

I have included some of the source code + a setup.exe. It is just al little Engine demo, where you can move around via "WASD".

Do we need a "scenes/" directory with the install or at least a "game.irr" file for the demo to work? The setup didn't seem to install those.

MetalWounds

More human than human
MBTI Type
TP
Enneagram
9w8
People assume I'm some sort of programming genius because I run Linux on my laptop. It's not true people! I'm just soul crushingly lonely.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
No, it's all in core.pk3, it opens the pk3 fake-zip from script. The code I sent along with the package is slightly different, than the programs code. Program opens the core.pk3, where the scene files are in.

Do not know why it doesnt work, then again it is all highly in an eperimental state

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
--Sidenote

Am I the only one turned on by those who speak fluent nerdish or geeks of any variety?

But I digress. I'm afraid my greatest technical feats consist of defragging, troubleshooting my sound card, and cleaning out my keyboard with compressed air. Learning programming may be stillborn for me. However, my s.o. (an INFP) speaks fluent computer program-ese and he may learn me a thing or two yet.

Virtually no progress is not to be pooh-poohed in the face of absolutely no progress.

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Am I the only one turned on by those who speak fluent nerdish or geeks of any variety?

But I digress. I'm afraid my greatest technical feats consist of defragging, troubleshooting my sound card, and cleaning out my keyboard with compressed air. Learning programming may be stillborn for me. However, my s.o. (an INFP) speaks fluent computer program-ese and he may learn me a thing or two yet.

Virtually no progress is not to be pooh-poohed in the face of absolutely no progress.

There seems to be a breed of NFs who are turned on by geekery speekz, even if they don't quite understand it. A few ladies (already paired off, unfortunately) in my local group are like that. Yes we do worship your kind :worthy:

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

NOPE!!! :)))) I love it, too!!!

Platonic Example: When my grandfather took the time to explain all the components of a computer and intricate details of technical things, I loved it!!! I also loved it when he talked about his new, crazy inventions. And what a source he was: not only was he a brilliant man who had worked for a famous organization, but he was also a man with a huge heart - like a cuddly bear.

Regarding romantic relationships:

I mean, okay, we have a lot of differences, these NT folk and I, but we also have a lot of similarities. I like to see it as "complementary." Never had a SO who was like that, though, so I cannot say. Lots of friends though!!!! :)

Anyway, I love "nerds" (whatever that means!!!) who are into the humanities or social sciences!!! (Like my husband) :wubbie: Now that's something I cannot resist. In high school and college, I was always attracted by the intelligent folk, and the ambitious/nerdy guys. Mehehehehehehheheheehhehe. <gets all giggly>

Okay, carry on....

WobblyStilettos

MBTI Type
INFP
I am currently working on a defrinting program to help out with various graphics packages. With any luck I just need to collaborate the data kilnots I have so far into some sort of mega-ilotbase then a bit of de-bugging, possibly some refragmenting (and maybe a whole load of lichnen sorting if it goes wrong and it should be complete and functioning :)

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am currently working on a defrinting program to help out with various graphics packages. With any luck I just need to collaborate the data kilnots I have so far into some sort of mega-ilotbase then a bit of de-bugging, possibly some refragmenting (and maybe a whole load of lichnen sorting if it goes wrong and it should be complete and functioning :)

lame!

If it doesn't include syscalls and various memory-management constructs, it's not a "real" program :D

WobblyStilettos

MBTI Type
INFP
lame!

If it doesn't include syscalls and various memory-management constructs, it's not a "real" program :D

Pfft. A true programmer would know that syscalls can be shortcutted using simple and more efficient magluts, and memory-management constructs have become almost obsolete in recent months.

ygolo

My termites win

Pfft. A true programmer would know that syscalls can be shortcutted using simple and more efficient magluts, and memory-management constructs have become almost obsolete in recent months.

Do you win Balderdash often?

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Do not always relate nerdness to sexieness, it really gets frustrating, when you sit for hours on quantum probability like <x-1>a<1-x> = P = aΦ and you finally managend to combine that with the relativistic impulse, what is E - p²c²=m²c² and you run with those great glowing eyes to your wife and explain it in detail, when she says: "ouh dear, you are so sexy when you explain things."

That IS really frustrating :)

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

IMO, It's sexy when you get to observe them talking to each other about it or if they help me figure out/fix some problem with it that I can't figure out.

Martoon

perdu fleur par bologne
MBTI Type
INTP
(If I were a betting man, I would bet on Martoon winning this thread. Not sure how he would do it.)
Well, now it'd be just silly of me to post anything to demonstrate otherwise, wouldn't it? ;)
I am trying to program a little 3D game at the moment, using the Irrlicht SDK programmed in cpp .
It was written in CodeBlocks and compiled with the GNU Compiler.
Not to evangelize too much, but have you looked at Ogre (instead of Irrlicht)? It's the most carefully designed open source rendering engine I've seen. We use it for our products at work, and it's been very good to us (as well as its forum and community).
Getting aquianted with the Newton Dynamics SDK for that at the moment.
Good call there. ;)

There seems to be a breed of NFs who are turned on by geekery speekz, even if they don't quite understand it. A few ladies (already paired off, unfortunately) in my local group are like that. Yes we do worship your kind :worthy:
NOPE!!! :)))) I love it, too!!!
IMO, It's sexy when you get to observe them talking to each other about it or if they help me figure out/fix some problem with it that I can't figure out.
This, I really don't get. I mean, I can understand appreciating intelligence and raw analytical skills, but it baffles me that someone could see sex appeal in the applied technical geeking out. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Wow, what a coincidence. Me, too!