• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Quantum weirdness

ygolo

My termites win
A Challenge

I think most people, when they think of Quantum Mechanics fall into two groups.
1) Those that believe in hidden variables, etc. Let us call it the "realist" position.
2) Those that believe particles are in-fact in a superposition multiple of states. There are still many interpretations, but let us call this the "orthodox" position.

The video I linked gives a thought experiment to distinguish the two.

But I'll reproduce the classical part of the experiment that was presented, and issue a challenge to see what sorts of explanations people create.

Challenge:Come up with an explanation of what is happening in the following thought experiment:
station-setup.jpg

measurement-box.jpg

measurement-log.jpg

Should add the patterns observed hold for countless (thousands at least) measurements, and should be thought to continue forever.

ygolo

My termites win
this is old news man you barely found this out?

maybe now that you understand that reality is not what you always thought it was you can understand why this might work.

picture.php

the Germans even participated in this triple blind experiment.

Entangled Minds: Water crystal replication study

I found it a while ago. It's just recent discussions have promted me to bring it up again.

Also, the explanation given is actually a very simple quantum mechanical explanation, and did not involve space bending, faster than light information travel, consiousness interacting with matter, or anything of the like.