• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Robots are taking over the world. OUR world.

Cygnus

That's it. We're all fucked. There is no existing field a human can do that a robot won't eventually be reprogrammed to do forever. Human society's over. We're dead.

It's like living in one of the various perversely-developed civilization planets in Star Trek.

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Damn robits. Takin' all our jobs.

I still want my own R2 unit. With a drink tray.

Passacaglia

Is now an inappropriate time to mention that I happen to be taking a robotics course?

Battlestar Galactica Spoiler [sorta]:

Kierva

#KUWK
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
On a more serious note, I find this to be very disturbing. This isn't something that is as simple as automated labor. This is something that requires strategy and creativity. How am I going to make money now?

Chthonic

Well for what it's worth, I don't think robots will ever be as good at neurosis and psychosis as people. There's hope for us yet.

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
Well for what it's worth, I don't think robots will ever be as good at neurosis and psychosis as people. There's hope for us yet.

2wfr51x.jpg

Edit:
Instant No Button! Star Wars funnies FTW!

Cygnus

On a more serious note, I find this to be very disturbing. This isn't something that is as simple as automated labor. This is something that requires strategy and creativity. How am I going to make money now?

The video addresses exactly that if you watch it for long enough. There is no task, physical, analytical, or even creative, that an algorithm cannot eventually be programmed to do more efficiently than any human.

That's what makes this scary and very much a new problem, rather than the age-old paranoia of dirt-cheap menial labor jobs disappearing. It's the loss of mental work that'll doom us.

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
The video addresses exactly that if you watch it for long enough. There is no task, physical, analytical, or even creative, that an algorithm cannot eventually be programmed to do more efficiently than any human.

That's what makes this scary and very much a new problem, rather than the age-old paranoia of dirt-cheap menial labor jobs disappearing. It's the loss of mental work that'll doom us.

Humans can be just as robotic as robots. In fact humans have already been doing what robots do - churning out product without a shred of sentiment.

We've already started replacing ourselves with zombie replicas well before robots ever came along.

Dopa

MBTI Type
INTP
One thing I never understood was why people keep saying they'll take our jobs like it is a bad thing. I hate work. I say, good, let them take our jobs. More time for me to sit around doing the shit I like to do.

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
I'm assuming if the robots take everyone's jobs money as we know it will change or disappear.

Robots get rid of labor but we still have commodities and we still have greed. Just because the robots are working doesn't mean you'll see any of their product for free.

Edit:
And intellectual property is a huge testament to this. People expect you to give them something for something they never did an ounce of work for, simply because they 'own' it.

Dopa

MBTI Type
INTP
Robots get rid of labor but we still have commodities and we still have greed. Just because the robots are working doesn't mean you'll see any of their product for free.

Edit:
And intellectual property is a huge testament to this. People expect you to give them something for something they never did an ounce of work for, simply because they 'own' it.

Sure, those are concerns and who knows how things will turn out. My speculation is that there will be transitional issues but things will ultimately go well and we won't choose insanity or slavery or whatever. Those seem more like dystopian scifi outcomes to me, and while dystopian scifi has its place, I don't think it should ever be taken as prophecy. Rather, I think it addresses current issues under a microscope, like the one you mentioned.

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
Sure, those are concerns and who knows how things will turn out. My speculation is that there will be transitional issues but things will ultimately go well and we won't choose insanity or slavery or whatever. Those seem more like dystopian scifi outcomes to me, and while dystopian scifi has its place, I don't think it should ever be taken as prophecy. Rather, I think it addresses current issues under a microscope, like the one you mentioned.
It was wishful thinking on my part...

You're crushing my dreams for a dystopian future. I think humans have earned one by now.

Dopa

MBTI Type
INTP
It was wishful thinking on my part...

You're crushing my dreams for a dystopian future. I think humans have earned one by now.

Check this out - it's the most realistic and interesting depiction of the future I've seen so far.