• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Brontosaurus: the dinosaur that never was

93JC

As someone who was very interested in paleontology as a kid: duuuuuh, we've known about this for decades.

Evee

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
As someone who was very interested in paleontology as a kid: duuuuuh, we've known about this for decades.

^^^^

Man walks on moon.

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I knew there was no such thing as a Brontosaurus when I was a kid.

Dinosaur obsession fo' life, yo.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is incredibly old news. I've known this since I was around 4 or so.

A much more recent development is the possibility that the triceratops and the torosaurus are the same animal, with the former simply being juvenile and the latter being a full grown adult.

Lark

I know there were a lot of Dinos which were found not to have existed, some of them were truly amazing to behold, owing more to myths and legends of dragons than anything in reality.

But arent the redrawings of T-Rex as a kind of giant feathered birdy seem a bit bizarre?

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I know there were a lot of Dinos which were found not to have existed, some of them were truly amazing to behold, owing more to myths and legends of dragons than anything in reality.

But arent the redrawings of T-Rex as a kind of giant feathered birdy seem a bit bizarre?

They make a lot of sense to me. The feathers that those dinosaurs are depicted as having are rudimentary, downy feathers. I often wondered where the hell bird feathers came from. They surely developed gradually, and if they did, the picture is a lot clearer knowing that basic feathers emerged in mesozoic dinosaurs. Remember that mammals also descend from reptiles, and that hairs, feathers, and scales are all related structures.

What I want to know is, did sauropods have feathers? That'd be funny.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
As this forum slowly goes extinct, in the long run you can also pretend that it never existed.

Lark

They make a lot of sense to me. The feathers that those dinosaurs are depicted as having are rudimentary, downy feathers. I often wondered where the hell bird feathers came from. They surely developed gradually, and if they did, the picture is a lot clearer knowing that basic feathers emerged in mesozoic dinosaurs. Remember that mammals also descend from reptiles, and that hairs, feathers, and scales are all related structures.

What I want to know is, did sauropods have feathers? That'd be funny.

I accept the theory of evolution but I've never had any real interest in it, the details of it sound absolutely absurd to me, just as absurd or more absurd than many of the other fantasy origin tales and stories. The matter as much to me, which is very little really.

I suppose a common origin of all things would encourage me to be a vegetarian or vegan but I know I could not adhere to such a thing for very long.

- - - Updated - - -

As this forum slowly goes extinct, in the long run you can also pretend that it never existed.

I was going to hit like but for some reason its not possible to.

93JC

I accept the theory of evolution but I've never had any real interest in it, the details of it sound absolutely absurd to me, just as absurd or more absurd than many of the other fantasy origin tales and stories. The matter as much to me, which is very little really.

Stay predictable, Lark. :laugh: