• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Bill Gates & Stephen Hawking believe that artificial intelligence will doom humanity

Luigi

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I honestly didn't read anything in this thread other than the title. I've been thinking the same exact thing ever since I was a child. Maybe I watched too many science fiction movies over the years, two examples being The Matrix saga and The Terminator saga, but my opinion is set that the more humanity depends on technology to do essentially everything on our behalf, the closer we are getting to our own demise, and of course if that happens, it's going to be our fault and we cannot blame the technology because the technology was made from us, and to reject any responsibility is to reject the reality of the threat and the cause of the threat. Then you might as well say that you should not be taken seriously by anybody. Although unfortunately, it's too late for us to do anything now. Humanity has decided that technology makes better decisions than humans. Protecting people simply is not a possibility, but protecting yourself or those that are willing to consider your way of thinking, that is certainly a possibility. All you need to do is take steps to make sure that you're not going to be a victim of technology when it betrays those who created it in the first place.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Machine learning algorithms are taught by data of a human's performance in the task. Somehow the data, generated by the worker, becomes property of the AI programmer and not of the worker. If the skills can be stolen, they will be stolen.

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
between ufo's flying over nuclear weapons bases, super-intelligent robots rising up against humanity and islamic jihad, I think it's safe to say the world is fucked.

Islamic jihad is the dumbest world ending threat ever. If the West handled islamic jihadists the same way they try to handle the West, 90% of them would be gone in less than a month, and there would be little to no islamic terror acts in the EU.

I doubt robots will suddenly rise up and take over on their own accord. Just because they have intelligence doesn't mean they will have ambition or compunction to control anything.

Unless of course someone programs them to have ambition and whatever other naughty things. In fact, you don't even have to program AI to have ambition - I would imagine if you just program a sophisticated AI to learn from a human mind, it will self programs those traits all by itself. Or like that old sci-fi meme: Government programs an AI to protect humans from all threats, AI deduces that humans are threats to other humans, so it either enslaves humans or starts to eliminate them.

There will always be someone pushing the boundaries:

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think we should be more concerned about ethical use of technology. Not necessarily pertianing to AI, but also to information science and nanotechnology.

There are some limits which shouldn't be crossed, yet they are for example computer chips implanted in people's hands. Its all well and good when its voluntary, but if becomes a way of life and you can't open your own door without a chip implanted in your wrist because old fashioned lock and key has become obsolete, it leads to the question of when and where we should draw the line.

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I honestly didn't read anything in this thread other than the title. I've been thinking the same exact thing ever since I was a child. Maybe I watched too many science fiction movies over the years, two examples being The Matrix saga and The Terminator saga, but my opinion is set that the more humanity depends on technology to do essentially everything on our behalf, the closer we are getting to our own demise, and of course if that happens, it's going to be our fault and we cannot blame the technology because the technology was made from us, and to reject any responsibility is to reject the reality of the threat and the cause of the threat. Then you might as well say that you should not be taken seriously by anybody. Although unfortunately, it's too late for us to do anything now. Humanity has decided that technology makes better decisions than humans. Protecting people simply is not a possibility, but protecting yourself or those that are willing to consider your way of thinking, that is certainly a possibility. All you need to do is take steps to make sure that you're not going to be a victim of technology when it betrays those who created it in the first place.

I don't think its too late to reverse the process of technology making decisions for humans, but I just don't see how we will. We are too dependent on technology, mainly due to economic reasons.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Waiting for the first made A.I. Islamic jihadist. Let's get the party started. Self-destruct mode on point.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
Top Secret Screen Capture of North Korean AI Output

More explosions.
More threats.
Please wait while Windows 95 updates your computer...

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't think its too late to reverse the process of technology making decisions for humans, but I just don't see how we will. We are too dependent on technology, mainly due to economic reasons.
Hate to say it but it will be the dumb f*cks (to intellectuals) who will be in control of this shit. Why? Because ideas are best understood and translated in real time not on paper. But! Process is slow. It's not some 1% conspiracy. Mainly applications that can be applied in multi-formats that have purpose...

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Islamic jihad is the dumbest world ending threat ever. If the West handled islamic jihadists the same way they try to handle the West, 90% of them would be gone in less than a month, and there would be little to no islamic terror acts in the EU.

The REAL threat of Islamic terror is NOT Jihad. It's the visibly harmless practitioners who refuse to integrate and respect local values. Add to it their high birth rates and conversions through marriage and you have a large portion of society who doesn't respect you, your values and women.

The sooner the west acknowledges this the better. I think most have realized it but they refuse to acknowledge this.

Because until the west says it's a threat the the east isn't allowed to say it.

meowington

Parody Parrot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w7
I don't believe in Skynet or any AI doomsday scenario. I mean for one I've always thought the 3 laws of robotics by Asimov are perfectly programmable. Not an expert on this at all I must admit though.

A lot of stupid people make a lot of children. That's my main concern.

Lark

I don't believe in Skynet or any AI doomsday scenario. I mean for one I've always thought the 3 laws of robotics by Asimov are perfectly programmable. Not an expert on this at all I must admit though.

A lot of stupid people make a lot of children. That's my main concern.

The three laws necessarily lead to a sort of skynet scenario, if it did nothing else the Will Smith flick should have made that clear.

Idiocracy crossed with I, Robot? Now that would be interesting, result? I think maybe Wall-E

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don’t think it’s a pop culture tech horror is what they’re afraid of. It’s more of a different take.. what if humans were to take control of them for their purposes?

Allow me to explain: say there is the technology or skills available to make an intelligence equal or greater to us.

Now, what would an extraintelligent species use us for?

it would be unintelligent to kill us all, we would be worthless dead.

Next is slavery, it’d be unintelligent to use slaves because our value diminishes when we are unhappy and our values aren’t being met.

So then as indentured servants, we’d be an inferior but useful race. However life would be purposeless and nothing would get unaccomplished as we may choose to kill each other off and few would not care.

So what about as free people co-existing? Here is where intelligence and unintelligence blur. It’s intelligent if we get along helping us both propel into a far reaching future. It’s unintelligent if humans just regain control by manipulation.

Now the only way this extraintelligent species would entirely benefit is to become so advanced there is no need for humanity and would blast off creating more marvelous creations and giving humanity new advancements slowly over time so they would still stay somewhat inferior.

I don’t know, being too intelligent is not a problem. It’s just if they just get intelligent enough to be considered what is unintelligent to us still, which is just killing us all. That may be a problem but I’m sure its preventable unless a human were to use them as weapons to kill us all, which could happen. But no, I know it’s not going to happen. Gut feeling here. Sure maybe more frequents deaths, but it’d eventually stop. Robots are only as good as they’re created to be.

meowington

Parody Parrot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w7
The three laws necessarily lead to a sort of skynet scenario, if it did nothing else the Will Smith flick should have made that clear.

Yeah you're right. I now recall that in iRobot one of the robots took the 1st law so literal that they needed to put humans out of power in orde to protect us, ... or something along that line.

Idiocracy crossed with I, Robot? Now that would be interesting, result? I think maybe Wall-E

Man I love Idiocracy. It's the real deal unfortunately ;) Or maybe worse. I strongly believe in "reality beats fiction".

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
A machine can be intelligent.

But can it have a soul? Because if it has no soul, it also has no will and cannot make decisions independent of what a programmer decides. Which means it still subject to humans, which is kinda what Forever was saying.

The real danger is that we humans, at least most of us, will become more and more subject to programming,due to our dependence on technology and will become more and more like machines anyways.

Luigi

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

But can it have a soul? Because if it has no soul, it also has no will and cannot make decisions independent of what a programmer decides. Which means it still subject to humans, which is kinda what Forever was saying.

The real danger is that we humans, at least most of us, will become more and more subject to programming,due to our dependence on technology and will become more and more like machines anyways.

That makes me think of an episode from Batman: The Animated Series.

hss0.jpg

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Some people don't even believe that humans have souls.