• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How Many of You Actually Know We Are In the Middle of a Mass Extinction?

I know we are in the middle of the earths sixth mass extinction

• yes

Votes: 9 100.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm curious, in a forum that at least claims to be N heavy and a generation that claims to be informed, how many members of this forum actually know we are in the beginning of the earths sixth mass extinction? Because as far as I can tell, humanity N or S, seems to be DISTRACTED rather than actually informed. Maybe I'm wrong and typology central will restore my faith in Americans (for some reason I expect foreigners to reign here).

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes, I'm aware. I have an interested in the growth of civilization and the impact we've had on our surroundings. But that shouldn't make you feel better, I have taken no action, and I have no solution.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yes, I'm aware. I have an interested in the growth of civilization and the impact we've had on our surroundings. But that shouldn't make you feel better, I have taken no action, and I have no solution.

At least you know. It's called the Holocene extinction. It fascinates me because as much as two years ago I was alarmed at how the human population has seemingly DOUBLED in my relatively short lifetime (I'm in my 30s not my 80s), and the wide range effects this has on the ecosystem, because we need invertibrates to sustain vertibrates, and plant diversity is also dwindling.

On a personal level, I don't know if your answer is passive aggressive bullshit or just honesty or guilty self hatred, but honestly I don't think we are too far from a genocide of the unaware. I think the next Hitler won't kill Jews, but people unaware of the consequences of their actions on humanity, because in a collective sense, it seems every bit as moral as murdering invading Jews in nationalist Germany.

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have heard of the Holocene extinction, and I am aware of the role humans have played in the extinction of an enormous number of the planet's species. I also know that the majority of humans don't care at all. People in general have an almost complete lack of accountability when it comes to the environment.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Idk, does it even matter to me, right now?

á´…eparted

passages
Your tone for this thread comes across as really belittling and snooty, and is really off putting. Yes I am aware. Most people aren't aware because the process is rather slow and rolling. It's not like a natural disaster such as a hurricane where the effects are easy to see and present. Sadly, there isn't a darn thing we can do to stop this. The world is much too entrenched with how it currently works and there is not a single chance society is going to begin to organize and uproot for it. Things will have to get unfathomably bad before it does. Luckily for us, I don't think the most serious of effects will hit us in our lifetime.

á´…eparted

passages
On a personal level, I don't know if your answer is passive aggressive bullshit or just honesty or guilty self hatred, but honestly I don't think we are too far from a genocide of the unaware. I think the next Hitler won't kill Jews, but people unaware of the consequences of their actions on humanity, because in a collective sense, it seems every bit as moral as murdering invading Jews in nationalist Germany.

I'm having a little trouble with the wording here. Are you meaning that you think a genocide is more or less inevitable and will occur at the hands of someone or an organization to kill individuals who are "uninformed" (as you put it)? Or are you suggesting that such a thing is necessary and morally justified because of the nature of the world and how you currently see it?

Passacaglia

I know that humanity has a history of directly and indirectly annihilating various species, and there's no reason to think that we'll stop anytime soon.

I didn't know that there's a name for it.

(Citizen of the U.S.A. speaking.)

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I was aware of the event and our role in it.

Somewhere around 99 percent of all species that have ever lived are now extinct due to mass extinction events. In fact, the last extinction event (K-Pg) wiped out most of the species that were hanging around at the time. Nature then took the evolutionary reins and gave us some new species in its wake.

This event is unique in that one species is playing a huge role in it. This event is unique to us because we're currently part of the ecological system, but more importantly because we're a significant cause of it.

What are the implications? Do we have a moral obligation to protect other species, because of our special capacity to do so? Does this mass extinction have negative ecological effects? Would any negative consequences bite humanity in the ass later on? Are we, as a product of evolution just as are all other species, simply part of the natural cycle?

I mean all of these questions in the most neutral way possible. Making a good, sound moral judgment of our part hinges upon them, which itself is important because it would contribute to a course of action (if any).

But just as we're allowed to mourn the deaths of individuals within a species, including our own, we're allowed to mourn the death of a species as a whole; regardless of the answers to these questions.

gromit

likes this
Your tone for this thread comes across as really belittling and snooty, and is really off putting. Yes I am aware. Most people aren't aware because the process is rather slow and rolling.
True. I don't even want to answer the question with the tone that [MENTION=122]marm[/MENTION]atoni used in creating this thread.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Why 6th? Because some "expert" said so? Seems rather arbitrary to me. I demand testimonial evidence.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I feel like duh, right?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
3 billion people know the other 2 don't cuz they don't get the news paper

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm having a little trouble with the wording here. Are you meaning that you think a genocide is more or less inevitable and will occur at the hands of someone or an organization to kill individuals who are "uninformed" (as you put it)? Or are you suggesting that such a thing is necessary and morally justified because of the nature of the world and how you currently see it?

I'm not advocating it, I'm just saying if it were to happen I could see it being very easily morally justified, especially since people who are part of the problem instead of part of the solution might be viewed as being efficiently disposed of, since it's probably best to get rid of someone, since the world is overpopulated and the problem is intensified by the population (we have killed off half our wildlife within a mere forty years, the population has doubled in 35).

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Why 6th? Because some "expert" said so? Seems rather arbitrary to me. I demand testimonial evidence.

It's not that difficult to find the information out there. :huh:

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Your tone for this thread comes across as really belittling and snooty, and is really off putting. Yes I am aware. Most people aren't aware because the process is rather slow and rolling. It's not like a natural disaster such as a hurricane where the effects are easy to see and present. Sadly, there isn't a darn thing we can do to stop this. The world is much too entrenched with how it currently works and there is not a single chance society is going to begin to organize and uproot for it. Things will have to get unfathomably bad before it does. Luckily for us, I don't think the most serious of effects will hit us in our lifetime.

You're wrong, it's man made and we can take action to stop it. If you would like to stop mansplaining to me about my "tone" maybe you could actually do some research.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
True. I don't even want to answer the question with the tone that [MENTION=122]marm[/MENTION]atoni used in creating this thread.

Just put me on ignore. I get tired of your passive aggressive comments, I know you don't like me, you have nothing of real value to say other than criticizing my tone, I have long suspected you of being an ISFJ.

Status
Not open for further replies.