• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Hardware...

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So I'm planning on a new video card and a new motherboard.

My current motherboard is an ASUS M2A-MVP.

It's a cheap Crossfire motherboard, and if my planned video card will run on it, then I can probably hold off on buying a new mobo for a short while.

I'm looking into getting an ATI Radeon HD 4850, which is a PCI Express 2.0 x16. If I'm not mistaken, PCI Express 2.0 video cards will still run in a standard PCI Express x16 slot, correct?

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Just wanted to make sure. I purchased the new motherboard along with my new video card because my current motherboard is a cheapo Crossfire.

I'll probably look into getting an AMD Phenom CPU as well and a few more gigs of RAM.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sounds like a good plan. On sale, I've seen 4gbs of high quality DDR2-800 for $50-60.

Yeah, I currently got 2 gigs of Crucial Ballistix DDR2-800 RAM. I wanted to get two more gigs, but right now, they are sold out at NewEgg.

Somewhere down the line, I need to get a new keyboard which matches the color of the rest of my computer.