• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

would you be ok with.....?

what would you be ok with being public knowledge?

• your face

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • your age

Votes: 12 70.6%
  • your relationship status

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • the name of your hometown

Votes: 11 64.7%
  • your address

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • your personal phone number

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • a picture of your privates with no face

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • your financial transactions over the past year

• your internet search history over the past year

• number of sexual conquests

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • a record of your text and email contents and recipients

• video footage shot through your bedroom window

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • names of everyone you've ever slept with

• naked pictures, face included

• your credit card numbers, debit card numbers or bank account information

• Total voters

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
How many of these things would you be ok with showing up on the first page if someone ran a google search on your name? :huh:

just curious at the moment :)

I've been pondering this article

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
I can't vote... because I'd not want any of those items to come up on a search for me, and the poll won't let me register a vote without anything checked...

Seriously, there are only a couple of those I'd feel comfortable sharing with anyone I didn't already consider at least a very close friend or family - and at least half of those items I'd not share with anyone.

Good article -- this/ one is the one that really caught my attention as to how this sort of information can add up to expose things that you'd rather not divulge. It's the one where Target started targeting advertisements for baby products to a teenage girl, because her purchase history gave them a strong indication that she was pregnant (she was). And that's how her parents found out.

I'm pretty anti-tracking. It's getting harder to avoid, though. My most recent pet peeve is that grocery stores (and others, likely) are starting to only have sales apply to people who use their "loyalty cards". And they advertise the "sale price" when it's not actually the price for anyone else. Grr.

I'm rather lucky in that regard... my name is pretty common, and it's basically impossible to get information on me from Google with that alone. Even if you know where I live, you'll not get anything that's actually me.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
[MENTION=994]kelric[/MENTION]

creepy article... seriously, now I don't want to buy things :doh:

and I'd realized that I'd forgotten the option that I wanted to select as well when I posted the poll "none of the above" when I'd posted it. I asked for the mods to add the option, but it hasn't been added yet :laugh:

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'd be voting 'none of the above'

Face is unavoidable to some degree, if you post it online somewhere, it's bound to turn up.

Some of this crap is already searchable in whitepages.com, creepily enough.

Here's one way to remove yourself from their site:
How do I remove my people search listing?

MBTI Type
*NF*
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The nothing-to-hide argument is everywhere. In Britain, for example, the government has installed millions of public-surveillance cameras in cities and towns, which are watched by officials via closed-circuit television. In a campaign slogan for the program, the government declares: "If you've got nothing to hide, you've got nothing to fear."

In France too we have them everywhere in the city. It does not bother me much more than people taking videos in which you could be viewed (even not naked).
If we think about how far they can go, the risk is to become a poor citizen afraid of walking out and slowly turning towards Paranoïa, a far far away country I don't wanna know.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I like my relationship status public when I'm unavailable.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The nothing-to-hide argument is everywhere. In Britain, for example, the government has installed millions of public-surveillance cameras in cities and towns, which are watched by officials via closed-circuit television. In a campaign slogan for the program, the government declares: "If you've got nothing to hide, you've got nothing to fear."

In France too we have them everywhere in the city. It does not bother me much more than people taking videos in which you could be viewed (even not naked).
If we think about how far they can go, the risk is to become a poor citizen afraid of walking out and slowly turning towards Paranoïa, a far far away country I don't wanna know.

every time I hear about all of the cameras that are everywhere in some countries I start feeling vaguely paranoid even just sitting in my own house... sure, I might not be doing something illegal, but what if I do something like readjust my bra or pick a wedge and THAT ends up on camera somewhere? :doh:

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I did say yes to my room, but the thing is I'm not sure I think it give me motivation to clean it.

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Great article. Very in-depth.

Why don't you want it out in the open? Because fuck you; that's why.

MBTI Type
INFJ
age and relationship status. I am a little sensitive about my age but in certain circumstances I allow it to be shown. I recognise that my concern over that is a little trivial, its mainly in regards to how I am perceived as I cannot control others judgments over me whether they are good or bad, I feel I am being a little paranoid though and probably imagining the worst. I don't see why relationship would be a big deal as long as my partner was also ok with it. for example, if I were married I would wear a ring which is a symbol of public declaration on ones own state of relationship. it symbolises my commitment, loyalty and love for my partner. I can understand the questioning of the "you have nothing to hide" mentality and with certain things I whole heartedly agree, but I don't really understand why I would want to hide that? if anything (provided my partner was fine with it) i'd want it to be as publically known as possible.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Great article. Very in-depth.

Why don't you want it out in the open? Because fuck you; that's why.

I didn't even realize the article was there. I just saw "this article" but didn't realize this was blue, so I thought she had just forgotten to post it, plus i like voting in polls so really that's my sole purpose in life right now. in other words, thank you.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I wouldn't mind anyone knowing the names of everyone I slept with, because they're not gonna find anything...

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
None of them.

Nobody has the right to circulate my private information without permission, and hell is lukewarm when compared to me angry.

After everything that we have learned over the last couple of years I would've thought people would value their security more highly.

á´…eparted

passages
Some of these are just rediculous. No one would want their credit card number public. I mean, seriously, that's just flat out common sense.

I only voted for the first 4 being ok with, but in reality, more of these I'd ultimately adjust to/stop caring if it were to happen beyond my control. I am not going to go out of my way to put that stuff out there, and I do my best to keep it private, but if it slips... eh it isn't the end of the world? I'd be upset for a few days at worst. Privacy is important to me, in the sense that I have a home to go to where I can lock the door, have my personal items safe, etc. and an internet to derp around on.

Privacy/security in the ways the general public seems to be up in arms about these days has never really worried me and is just a non-issue to me:shrug:.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Lying is an important part of human nature. As is concealing information we want to keep to ourselves.

Without it we cannot build an idea of how others are, which we then believe in as fact. Otherwise we end up just becoming cynical. Alternatively is genuinely enjoying the qualities that people supposedly possess, but who has time for that these days?

But a world in which everyone was honest and open all the time? It would be really shitty. We need privacy.

And it annoys me that perhaps I have too much information about myself that is available in some form, so perhaps I should take more measures, but in many cases I argue that people shouldn't be digging in the first place, especially if it is not information I have made readily available.

The one good thing I have going for me with regards to this is I am really not very interesting or important.