• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

lol @ android users

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
my one problem with the android is that i cant put emojis next to my friends' names in my contacts :cry:

MBTI Type
INTJ
If you like to fiddle and hack, get an Android.

If you want things to work as it is, get an iPhone.

Android is fragmented and you won't get timely updates, so if you find a bug, chances are you're stuck with it.

What he said. I like my iPhone because I want a phone, not a new hobby. The OS is clean and simple, the app store is vetted, and third party issues aren't issues.

I think of iPhone as sort of like a totalitarian paradise. Less freedom, but you need it less because life is good. Would you leave such a place for a more difficult life on principle? Maybe in real life, but in the tech world I'm apolitical.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think of iPhone as sort of like a totalitarian paradise. Less freedom, but you need it less because life is good. Would you leave such a place for a more difficult life on principle? Maybe in real life, but in the tech world I'm apolitical.
So i-space is the tech equivalent of Omelas? I knew there was a reason I disliked Apple in all its manifestations.

grey_beard

The Typing Tabby
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Good to know. I have been contemplating getting a Samsung for many months now, but still cannot justify the cost, either of the initial purchase, or of the monthly plans.

Don't know if this belongs here or in the 'confessions' thread.
I have a phone that's so old, that when you open it up, a little pterodactyl flies out to carry your message, reminiscent of The Flintstones.

MBTI Type
INTJ
So i-space is the tech equivalent of Omelas? I knew there was a reason I disliked Apple in all its manifestations.

I Googled "Omelas". I dunno, I can't really equate a suffering child to the lack of freedom to hack an OS. I love Apple because it works so well that I don't need to hack it. Lots of people enjoy that kind of tinkering, and for them Android is probably great. For me, it's a bug not a feature.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I Googled "Omelas". I dunno, I can't really equate a suffering child to the lack of freedom to hack an OS. I love Apple because it works so well that I don't need to hack it. Lots of people enjoy that kind of tinkering, and for them Android is probably great. For me, it's a bug not a feature.
I was addressing the idea of a "totalitarian paradise". As is often said, with rights come responsibilities, and this in its own way is no exception. I rarely like the choices manufacturers make on behalf of consumers; have never really liked Apple OS's on other devices; and like to be able to customize things when there is something I don't like. I understand that means I must take responsibility for learning how to do so. I use Ubuntu on my desktop/laptop for this reason, and can't imagine getting an i-anything, unless there were some truly compelling reason to do so.

As you say, though, for people who aren't willing to bother, iphones probably make a fine choice.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
wooo paying 200 more dollars to have more storage and wooo not being to remove your battery....wooo for paying more money cuz it's made by apple and they know schmucks will buy it. I'll stick to my android which i can remove the battery and put in a mini sd card for more storage.

robowolf

MBTI Type
FREE
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm with prpl. I'd never spend more than 30$ on a smartphone whose battery can't be removed and that can't be disassembled with a screwdriver. Android is great because you can customize everything, but it needs good and expensive hardware to work properly. Windows Phone runs smoothly even on my entry level Nokia, and Cortana is much better than Siri, but if you don't like something (keyboard, menu, the fact that there isn't an option to organize the settings in alphabetical order) you're stuck with it, although I have to say with 8.1 personalization options got much better.

What I don't understand about most iPhone users is, they spend 700$ on a mobile phone and they only use it for whatsapp and a diet app? I mean, it's their money, they can do whatever they want with it and it's not my business, but meh.

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'll stick to my android which i can remove the battery and put in a mini sd card for more storage.
That's why I ditched my Nexus and went with a Samsung.

And both run Android, so I didn't have to switch to an entirely different software ecosystem to do it.

nyah nyah

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
my one problem with the android is that i cant put emojis next to my friends' names in my contacts :cry:

SIKE THERE WAS AN UPDATE MY BEST FRIENDS HAVE EMOJIS IN THEIR NAMES NOW

tkae.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Apple is great for people who don't want to actually learn about technology and want a computer that's so easy to use a first grader could figure it out. No offense, that's just how some people are, and I don't hold it against them.

But I do judge you for preordering it. You've basically given them money up front before the service (the creation of the product) is even performed. It could be a total pile of shit and you've already bought it.

I don't understand people who pay for something before the work they're paying for is done. It's like buying teenage clothes for a baby and being shocked that they might not fit.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
wooo paying 200 more dollars to have more storage and wooo not being to remove your battery....wooo for paying more money cuz it's made by apple and they know schmucks will buy it. I'll stick to my android which i can remove the battery and put in a mini sd card for more storage.

Its more like 200 for not having to remove the battery because the phones operating system doesent bug all the time, for better camera, for a proper fingerprint scanner(not having to unlock the phone with a pin code) and the build quality is a nice bonus as well. Worth the 200 at least for me, but i do understand that its not worth it for many and many will want the things that android can do that ios cant. Also 64gb is more than enough for music and photos, so no need for sd cards.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Its more like 200 for not having to remove the battery because the phones operating system doesent bug all the time, for better camera, for a proper fingerprint scanner(not having to unlock the phone with a pin code) and the build quality is a nice bonus as well. Worth the 200 at least for me, but i do understand that its not worth it for many and many will want the things that android can do that ios cant. Also 64gb is more than enough for music and photos, so no need for sd cards.

hahahahah 90% of my friends who have iphones had phones at least 5 times more buggy then mine.

maybe mine works well, because I take care of it

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Apple is great for people who don't want to actually learn about technology and want a computer that's so easy to use a first grader could figure it out. No offense, that's just how some people are, and I don't hold it against them.

But I do judge you for preordering it. You've basically given them money up front before the service (the creation of the product) is even performed. It could be a total pile of shit and you've already bought it.

I don't understand people who pay for something before the work they're paying for is done. It's like buying teenage clothes for a baby and being shocked that they might not fit.

I moved to mac from windows as well few weeks ago after being a windows user since i got my first computer and i dont regret a bit. Formatting/reinstalling windows to my old laptop reminded me of how annoying windows can be. First of all the operation took the whole day to do, which involved like 4 hours of trouble shooting in upgrading win 8 to 8.1 because of some errors caused by who knows what. It just wouldnt do the upgrade and just gave some error, even tho i installed all the upgrades so that the win 8 side was fully updated before upgrading to 8.1. Well i found a solution to the error, according to internet and people fighting the same problem i just had to uncheck some option on hard drives, but the problem was that i couldnt uncheck the box for some unknown reason and was stuck. Well eventually after trying everything and figuring out why i cant uncheck the damn thing(which i couldnt find any reason for), i decided to try to push the update button for the millionth time and now all of a sudden it worked, even tho i didnt change anything since last time i tried it and it gave the error.. Typical windows.
As another typical windows problem my friend recently got a win laptop didnt take long till for some unknown reason the wifi tethering from samsung started bugging and worked only for few seconds and had to reconnect, but still only worked for few seconds before cutting out again.. Well then he tried to use the internet through bluetooth and it took quite a while to set up because win 8.1 is such a maze to navigate on(and there were ENTP who does programming for living, so he is pretty good with computers, having had studied them for quite few years in uni and INTJ who studied computer sciences for a while and is pretty big computer nerd, still they couldnt figure out why the wifi tethering crapped out all the time). Typical windows shit again. With mac you just push a button and voilá, it works.

Not to even mention the superior integration of iphone and mac that makes it so much better if you go all the way apple.

Generally when it comes to operating systems you could say that with windows you need to spend hours on getting it to work and if you dont want your computer to slow down or have some bugs in the system, you need to format and reinstall the windows regularly. With linux its a gamble, either it works or you need to know how to code. Mac os just simply works(except some people has had some issues with newest version of the os since it was released bit too early, luckily i havent had any problems with it).

While it might be nice to know that you are able to use windows and do all the troubleshooting and shit, being able to wait till the computer updates and do all the rebooting of the computer, it starts to get old and pretty annoying after a while..

What comes to the alleged high cost of macs, well its only partially true. I mean you can get a pc laptop with same processor for nearly half the price of mac laptop, but if you want a proper screen and build quality for pc that is at least close to mac, it costs about as much as macbook pro does, so you need to pay premium for quality for both sides. There isnt even many pc laptops like that around.

What comes to the preordering of the iphone, i didnt pay anything before i got it, i just ordered it and could had returned it as well.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
hahahahah 90% of my friends who have iphones had phones at least 5 times more buggy then mine.

maybe mine works well, because I take care of it

My old android bugged at least once a week and i took care of it as well. Three most common bugs were; It disconnected me from mobile network and didnt show any signs for me about it. Phone suddenly froze and had to remove the battery, sometimes the battery heated also and the charge dropped to near zero. Phone suddenly started heating up like i would had been using it in really heavy tasks(even tho i werent doing anything than listening to music or not even that) and had to shut down the phone and take the battery out for a while, usually this caused the charge to drop a lot, like from 50% to 5% in a moment. Also apps crashed not very often, but the time i had the iphone, the web browser on my old android would had crashed at least 10 times, with my iphone the web browser crashed one or two times(other apps never crashed and os never crashed), but thats more issues with the app and not so much with the operating system.

Something like this(and other bugs) happened to every android user i know in person, usually less often than for me tho. If you installed the really new updates to old iphones, its known to cause some bugs(if you know what you are doing, you newer install the just released updates to any operating system, computer or phone). Other than that, ios is less buggy than android, it has been that way always, but recently with the newest version of ios and bugs with old iphones and android starting to do a slightly better job, they are getting pretty close to each other. But ios should take the lead on less bugs in os after they get few updates fixing some of the issues that came with the new ios8 and old iphones.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
My old android bugged at least once a week and i took care of it as well. Three most common bugs were; It disconnected me from mobile network and didnt show any signs for me about it. Phone suddenly froze and had to remove the battery, sometimes the battery heated also and the charge dropped to near zero. Phone suddenly started heating up like i would had been using it in really heavy tasks(even tho i werent doing anything than listening to music or not even that) and had to shut down the phone and take the battery out for a while, usually this caused the charge to drop a lot, like from 50% to 5% in a moment. Also apps crashed not very often, but the time i had the iphone, the web browser on my old android would had crashed at least 10 times, with my iphone the web browser crashed one or two times(other apps never crashed and os never crashed), but thats more issues with the app and not so much with the operating system.

Something like this(and other bugs) happened to every android user i know in person, usually less often than for me tho. If you installed the really new updates to old iphones, its known to cause some bugs(if you know what you are doing, you newer install the just released updates to any operating system, computer or phone). Other than that, ios is less buggy than android, it has been that way always, but recently with the newest version of ios and bugs with old iphones and android starting to do a slightly better job, they are getting pretty close to each other. But ios should take the lead on less bugs in os after they get few updates fixing some of the issues that came with the new ios8 and old iphones.

the thing is android has all different phones by all different companies. and my os has never ever crashed apps have but like you said that's the app and not the phone my phone has frozen 3 times. never had my charge drop really fast unless i was using a large app. sorry but i like my android. my phone has never overheated. i don't think iphones are superior. and I wouldn't give a shit that you prefer iphone (even though they are over priced) because it's a phone. what phone you have does not make you who you are, and it comes down to preference [MENTION=5159]Lexicon[/MENTION] has a flip phone why does she need a smart phone? she doesn't. and my friend had way more problems with the battery then i ever had. and the fact that if the phone does freeze you can't take the battery out unless you know what you're doing and most people don't nor have the tools to do so, that seems scammy to me because you have to take to apple. I prefer android cuz they are more customaizable most of the apps are free, and if i ever traveled a lot or don't have an option to charge for long periods i can switch the battery, i can upgrade the storage for 16 dollars instead of 100. and all these so called bugs you're complaining about i'll deal with them (even though i've not had many) because i like the fact that if i can buy the least expensive model with the least amount of memory and get a more memory with shelling out twice the amount. I like that i can remove the battery.

MBTI Type
INTJ

I don't know, that's a bit extreme. There's a difference between not wanting to learn anything and not wanting to have to constantly tinker with something. Some people like to make a hobby of their phone, and some people just want something that works. It's not the same as being willfully ignorant. It's like saying that someone who buys a new car instead of a 70s hobby car neither knows or cares to know anything about how to maintain a car.