• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What's the difference between used and certified pre-owned?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I'm looking at cars, because I might need to get one, and I've noticed that certified pre-owned are more than the just used. I know nothing about cars, and I know it be easy for me to get screwed over because of my lack of knowledge, I will enlist the help of people who do know things about cars, but unfortunately they're all in different states. So is it better for me to go with certified pre-owned or is it just an excuse to drive the price up?

93JC

A certified pre-owned car is a used car that has gone through an inspection, had any problems discovered in the inspection fixed, and is certified as sort of "like new". Typically the 'certifier' is a dealer, and the car comes with a warranty from the dealer similar to a warranty for a new car.

It's basically a used car that has relatively few miles, is usually less than five years old, and is in good enough condition that a dealer is willing to offer an extended warranty on it.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
A certified pre-owned car is a used car that has gone through an inspection, had any problems discovered in the inspection fixed, and is certified as sort of "like new". Typically the 'certifier' is a dealer, and the car comes with a warranty from the dealer similar to a warranty for a new car.

It's basically a used car that has relatively few miles, is usually less than five years old, and is in good enough condition that a dealer is willing to offer an extended warranty on it.
so as a sterotypical female when it comes to cars I should try and get a certified pre-owned?

93JC

so as a sterotypical female when it comes to cars I should try and get a certified pre-owned?

For a little peace of mind, sure.

But I thought you were driving what was formerly your mom's brand-new car. I would have thought your insurance would pay for the cost of replacement (no depreciation factored in to the payout) on account of the car being so new, in which case I'd just get a new one. :shrug:

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
For a little peace of mind, sure.

But I thought you were driving what was formerly your mom's brand-new car. I would have thought your insurance would pay for the cost of replacement (no depreciation factored in to the payout) on account of the car being so new, in which case I'd just get a new one. :shrug:

tbt still don't know if it's totaled and it's been 2 weeks i'm really angry

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm looking at cars, because I might need to get one, and I've noticed that certified pre-owned are more than the just used. I know nothing about cars, and I know it be easy for me to get screwed over because of my lack of knowledge, I will enlist the help of people who do know things about cars, but unfortunately they're all in different states. So is it better for me to go with certified pre-owned or is it just an excuse to drive the price up?
It certainly will drive the price up, but then any used car bought from a dealer will cost more than the same car bought from a private party. I have bought half dozen used cars, always from private parties, and have never had a problem. Dealers have a reputation for not being forthcoming, and doing all they can to get more money from the customer. With an individual, it is easier to sense whether they are being forthcoming, and you are more likely to get an honest accounting of the car's history and any problems. Yes, you don't get a warranty, but check any dealer warranty very carefully as they try not to promise you anything that would cost them much should you need to invoke it.

So, I recommend you do your homework on car make/model/year. Look for cars with good owner satisfaction and repair records over 5-7 years. Look at websites like Edmunds and Kelly Blue Book. Check out cars advertised by people in your local area. If the seller doesn't seem on the level, or you feel at all uncomfortable, move on. If you find a car you like, you can always have a trustworthy mechanic look it over for you before making an offer. They will probably charge a small fee, but that is a much better deal than the dealer markup. If you have a friend who knows something about cars, or who has purchased used in the past, enlist their help as well.

Good luck!

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
It certainly will drive the price up, but then any used car bought from a dealer will cost more than the same car bought from a private party. I have bought half dozen used cars, always from private parties, and have never had a problem. Dealers have a reputation for not being forthcoming, and doing all they can to get more money from the customer. With an individual, it is easier to sense whether they are being forthcoming, and you are more likely to get an honest accounting of the car's history and any problems. Yes, you don't get a warranty, but check any dealer warranty very carefully as they try not to promise you anything that would cost them much should you need to invoke it.

So, I recommend you do your homework on car make/model/year. Look for cars with good owner satisfaction and repair records over 5-7 years. Look at websites like Edmunds and Kelly Blue Book. Check out cars advertised by people in your local area. If the seller doesn't seem on the level, or you feel at all uncomfortable, move on. If you find a car you like, you can always have a trustworthy mechanic look it over for you before making an offer. They will probably charge a small fee, but that is a much better deal than the dealer markup. If you have a friend who knows something about cars, or who has purchased used in the past, enlist their help as well.

Good luck!

the two people I trust with this stuff both live in different states, so unless i can get them to come here I'm SOL. I always had my dad or brother find me car.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
the two people I trust with this stuff both live in different states, so unless i can get them to come here I'm SOL. I always had my dad or brother find me car.
You can still ask for their advice long-distance. Have them help you come up with which makes/models to look for, based on your needs/budget and customer track record. When you find an advertised car that seems good, tell them about it and see what they think. It will probably be advertised online, and you can send them the link.