User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you believe in the farmacy trend?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm a hippy and I'm proud of it. Also, I have proof it works. No aluminum DO for me!

    3 7.69%
  • I'm kind of a hippy, but I was brought up that way, and/or I like moral aspects of the trend.

    4 10.26%
  • This is a thing? Who's Jenny McCarthy? I mean, I guess both are fine.

    4 10.26%
  • Science trumps turnips all day. Beets and apples won't keep you from having eczema hunny, sorry.

    24 61.54%
  • I don't really care at all. I can't afford either of them anyways.

    4 10.26%
First 12202122232432 Last

Results 211 to 220 of 341

  1. #211
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,293

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    I am a TA for organic chemistry at my university and those who are planning to become dietitians are required to take it for their major so I always get a bunch of them, and have gotten to know a number of them over the years. Some of them have been pretty uppity and preoccupied with food/diet in general and I wondered if some were going into it because they had issues themselves and it was sort of channeling it (parallel to them saying psych majors become psych majors because they're nuts). It's pretty easy IMO to see if one is neurotic over stuff though, and if they are move on.

    Luckily I haven't personally met any that are wacko. I go on a discussion/rant about anti-vaccine and anti-gmo groups when I do my lecture on carbohydrate chemistry so I was expecting to get a few to challenge me later but it's never happened.

    I wonder sometimes if people become scientists because they are neurotic about ambivalence and subjectivity in the human condition. How convenient to dismiss dieticians as people who had eating disorders and psychologists as crazy people, but to think being a chemist makes you infallible in objective thought.

  2. #212
    Innovation Reigns Supreme Hard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe
    Posts
    8,099

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    You are right I will never understand anything if I don't agree with you right now, that's such a factual statement, and I love how you ignore that both of these "ethics groups" are backed by scientists and doctors.
    It's not because you don't agree with me. It has to do with you not understanding how all of this works. I don't give a shit if anyone personally agrees with me, never really have. What I do care about is whether or not fact and logic is adhered to and respected, which here that has largely not been done. I am not ignoring them nor the fact they are run by scientists and doctors. I am simply unfamiliar with them.


    Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    I wonder sometimes if people become scientists because they are neurotic about ambivalence and subjectivity in the human condition. How convenient to dismiss dieticians as people who had eating disorders and psychologists as crazy people, but to think being a chemist makes you infallible in objective thought.
    So now we're going into personal insults eh? Lovely. I have wanted to be a scientist since I was a small child, and have wanted to be a chemist since I was 10 years old.

    I actually meant that in a light hearted manner. Psych majors poke fun at themselves over the idea that they're all secretly nuts and want to figure themselves out. The dietician majors I have met were actually all really lovely people. I meant uppity as in high strung, and very focused on their diet because it goes with their major when I brought the topic up. Some perhaps may have neuroses, and if they do that's fine. It's not fine when it impacts others through their profession. That can happen in any profession.

    Me being a chemist though does give me more authority than you over these matters.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari


  3. #213
    Glamour puss with a tan Raffaella's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    849

    Default

    Wait a second… I quote you telling you to stop generalising, you quote me back with more generalisations and in this response you decide to take what I wrote personally. I’m debating against people who write erroneous posts on modern medicine, it’s not my position to defend alternative remedies since I have little interest in them. That’s your position. Why am I required to point out Hard’s anecdotal references? I’m not debating him.

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    Deceptive is a perfect name for you since your post largely says nothing. You didn't bother to correct Hard on his or her anecdotes about natural practitioners, just my comment that a licensed M.D. actually advised against using it, not for me as an individual, but for anyone, since it dries you out and keeps you sicker longer. You also didn't bother with many people here and their anecdotes, just me, wonder why that is, possibly only because you disagree with me. .
    Can’t attack my argument so you attack my character. Good job. If you care to notice I’ve disagreed with Tellenbach and Small.Wonder, too. I’m not sure why you’re taking this personally.

    Secondly, your speed example is totally B.S. since you are making a weak semantics argument, they are the same class of drugs.
    What semantics? You’re generalising. Do you know about drugs? Do you know how they work? This distinction matters in the pharmaceutical field since their differences affect their absorption, distribution, metabolism, elimination, efficacy and potency.

    Furthermore, you actually agree with me that people mostly take cold medicine to push through illness instead of resting because they are mostly treating symptoms. No, Sudafed will never actually kill the illness the way Zicam (actually proven to reduce time and severity) or natural antibiotics and antivirals like garlic will. Good night.
    I don’t think pseudoephedrine is necessary if you can afford the time to rest. In fact, we sell more of its weaker alternative since it's strictly regulated. Some people need it, I’m not going to judge them because I recognise they have lives to attend to and will do so regardless of what a health practitioner advises.

    As for Zicam, thank you, I will read into it and get back to you.

    Oh and P.S. if you like hard need FDA approval, even medline.gov agrees with me that Pseudoephedrine treats symptoms but not the underlying cause.
    I have nothing to do with the FDA, my country has an equivalent that I watch carefully. Also, I know that, I’m well aware it only treats symptoms, however I keep repeating that certain formulations help the healing process.

  4. #214
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,293

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Deceptive View Post
    Wait a second… I quote you telling you to stop generalising, you quote me back with more generalisations and in this response you decide to take what I wrote personally. I’m debating against people who write erroneous posts on modern medicine, it’s not my position to defend alternative remedies since I have little interest in them. That’s your position. Why am I required to point out Hard’s anecdotal references? I’m not debating him.



    Can’t attack my argument so you attack my character. Good job. If you care to notice I’ve disagreed with Tellenbach and Small.Wonder, too. I’m not sure why you’re taking this personally.



    What semantics? You’re generalising. Do you know about drugs? Do you know how they work? This distinction matters in the pharmaceutical field since their differences affect their absorption, distribution, metabolism, elimination, efficacy and potency.



    I don’t think pseudoephedrine is necessary if you can afford the time to rest. In fact, we sell more of its weaker alternative since it's strictly regulated. Some people need it, I’m not going to judge them because I recognise they have lives to attend to and will do so regardless of what a health practitioner advises.

    As for Zicam, thank you, I will read into it and get back to you.



    I have nothing to do with the FDA, my country has an equivalent that I watch carefully. Also, I know that, I’m well aware it only treats symptoms, however I keep repeating that certain formulations help the healing process.
    I shredded your argument by quoting medline.gov. I should have just done that in the first place. You responding to me was utterly pointle ss since you were wrong not only imo but in the FDAs opinion. In fact the entire purpose of your responses to me seemed to be to show me up in some way or simply criticize my posting style, but not the actual argument I made. Funny though that when I question your posting style you deem it an "attack on your character" which is a total exaggeration, I never said you were immoral or stupid. Deception is a common tactic used by long winded debaters online, and imo also in academics.

    Pseudoephedrine does not cure colds. Or anything for that matter.

  5. #215
    Glamour puss with a tan Raffaella's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    849

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    I shredded your argument by quoting medline.gov. I should have just done that in the first place. You responding to me was utterly pointle ss since you were wrong not only imo but in the FDAs opinion. In fact the entire purpose of your responses to me seemed to be to show me up in some way or simply criticize my posting style, but not the actual argument I made. Funny though that when I question your posting style you deem it an "attack on your character" which is a total exaggeration, I never said you were immoral or stupid. Deception is a common tactic used by long winded debaters online, and imo also in academics.

    Pseudoephedrine does not cure colds. Or anything for that matter.
    Shredded what argument?

    I keep saying it doesn't cure colds, I even say it in my original response to you. I'm trying to debate against you reasonably, trying to point out your faulty logic in areas since you keep generalising. I've done this to other posters against modern medicine if you care to notice.

  6. #216
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,293

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    It's not because you don't agree with me. It has to do with you not understanding how all of this works. I don't give a shit if anyone personally agrees with me, never really have. What I do care about is whether or not fact and logic is adhered to and respected, which here that has largely not been done. I am not ignoring them nor the fact they are run by scientists and doctors. I am simply unfamiliar with them.




    So now we're going into personal insults eh? Lovely. I have wanted to be a scientist since I was a small child, and have wanted to be a chemist since I was 10 years old.

    I actually meant that in a light hearted manner. Psych majors poke fun at themselves over the idea that they're all secretly nuts and want to figure themselves out. The dietician majors I have met were actually all really lovely people. I meant uppity as in high strung, and very focused on their diet because it goes with their major when I brought the topic up. Some perhaps may have neuroses, and if they do that's fine. It's not fine when it impacts others through their profession. That can happen in any profession.

    Me being a chemist though does give me more authority than you over these matters.
    Over what matters? Seriously? You have more authority than my doctor or the 12,000 doctors in the PCRM? My sister has credentials in Biology and probably would make similar or more extreme arguments than mine on diet and nutrition. I don't know if you realize how comical it sounds for you to call yourself objective because of the manner in which you debate. ...it's cool for you to call my opinion vacuous, and to tell me I won't understand anything, and to call dietitians psychos, but as soon as I question the possibility that even scientists have opinions and ethics, your self included, suddenly it's a personal insult on YOUR childhood dream...i mean you totally missed my point over and over again, like when I pointed out that the PCRM is run by doctors, and the NRDC is backed by scientists and yet you still miss my tongue in cheek obvious point now.

  7. #217
    Innovation Reigns Supreme Hard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe
    Posts
    8,099

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    Over what matters? Seriously? You have more authority than my doctor or the 12,000 doctors in the PCRM? My sister has credentials in Biology and probably would make similar or more extreme arguments than mine on diet and nutrition. I don't know if you realize how comical it sounds for you to call yourself objective because of the manner in which you debate. ...it's cool for you to call my opinion vacuous, and to tell me I won't understand anything, and to call dietitians psychos, but as soon as I question the possibility that even scientists have opinions and ethics, your self included, suddenly it's a personal insult on YOUR childhood dream...i mean you totally missed my point over and over again, like when I pointed out that the PCRM is run by doctors, and the NRDC is backed by scientists and yet you still miss my tongue in cheek obvious point now.
    Ah, no, it's you who sounds comical. Because you're missing my point over and over (though it's partly because this has gotten very derailed from the original discussion). I was speaking to you. I don't care at all what your sister is; you're not her. I am speaking about the discussions held on previous pages (which has gotten lost and we're away from the point now). It really all started with your assertion that dairy is bad and should be eliminated, and that it's illogical to take lactase. Of which, I and several others quite cleanly displayed that you're wrong, but you refuse to accept this. You're the one missing the entire point of this.

    What I saw as a personal insult (which incidentally don't bother me, but I pointed it out because it's a tactic you very frequently use on a lot of people here), was the fact that you insinuated that I'm not being objective and used a patronizing tone behind it when I meant absolutely no harm with what I stated, I was not quoting you, and the entire point of it seemed as to scold. Objectivity has nothing to do with what I was referring to with the original points several pages back; calling "drug culture" (not a thing) crazy, making broad stroke generalities that mean nothing, and not correcting supporting your arguments. Not for everything, but for some there ARE definitive right and wrong statements, you refused to accept it.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari


  8. #218
    Emperor/Dictator kyuuei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    8
    Posts
    13,902

    Default

    1. This thread is about the discussion "Have You noticed a trend that hippies being totally 'Us vs Them' and using pseudo science and all that, and claiming 'Doctors backed me up on this opinion! So it's a fact!' and yet dismiss other doctors, no matter how many, as quacks because they aren't doctors agreeing with them, etc. etc."..

    I don't mind having debates about the merits of hippy medicine, since I use them and my philosophy is that things should work together because a big part of medicine and treating patients is a holistic perspective--respecting their boundaries, no matter how ridiculous they are (sorry Mormons, you're all fucked up to me medicine-wise) to you (/nakedgunmoment), and getting the patient to do something in the right direction of health, including teaching them things they might not know about.

    However. The discussion is not about personal attacks. The discussion was never meant to BE a debate about modern vs natural, I indulged in it because I wasn't getting much response either way, but I'm regretting that now. So much of medicine is PHILOSOPHY and beliefs regardless of science.. So if you want to keep defending the merits of whatever side you're on, Fine, but I'll just keep reporting posts that are attacking people and their credentials. If you don't want yours attacked, don't attack theirs. Because for every person that's had a quack modern doctor there's a person who's dealt with a quack natural one.



    With that said. I'm going to go back to complaining about natural medicine a little bit, regardless of if people are all frowny faced that I don't agree that treating symptoms is useless. (BTW, it isn't. Saline wash is a natural symptom relief of allergies, and I highly prefer it to allergy medicine simply for cost reasons. No, it doesn't cure my allergies, but I don't really need it to... Colds don't need to be cured, they go away in such a ridiculously short amount of time, and no medicine you post is going to cure colds and kill the virus because it doesn't exist--in natural or modern medicine. Make the body more efficient at killing it? Sure. Other than that, you're reaching for beans if you think anyone's found magic pills to kill a virus.)


    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqOMHOgt3JQ

    Amethyst Richway Bio Mat | Amethyst Crystal Bio Mat | Infrared Biomat - The Original Bio-Mat

    Why I’m Not Dismissing the Latest “Animal Protein is Bad” Study (But Not Losing Sleep Over It, Either) | Raw Food SOS

    The China Study: Fact or Fallacy? | Raw Food SOS

    RawfoodSOS is a great writer, and I think she does a bang-up job of letting people decide for themselves, being objective, but exposing facts that neither support or offend either side and only show that, again, philosophy of the people shapes what is healthy or not just as much as science.. I mean, technically science can say all it wants "X will produce Y" but if the path isn't to people's liking they won't do it all day...

    .. Hence why I feel (and modern hospital procedures now-a-days agree more and more) that natural medicine and modern medicine need to walk together.. and if something is shown to be off base, then it needs to be thrown out no matter what side it came from. And while I feel modern people that follow studies tend to do that, if I tell a hippy acai berries were sort of a quack, they get all up in arms. And they have all the vaguely written documentation to back them up on it.



    Interactive: Snake Oil Supplements? The scientific evidence for health supplements | Information Is Beautiful

    A really great infographic that leads to real sources, but I wish they'd lead to a list of sources on either side to show the weight of well established and good vs inconclusive and slight.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

    Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

    In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

  9. #219
    Emperor/Dictator kyuuei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    8
    Posts
    13,902

    Default

    Personal complaint:

    FB user: Omg look at this shit!

    Please don't top your sweet potatoes with these! Don't you think it's kinda odd that Kraft has to use blue artificial food dye to make WHITE marshmallows?

    Me: Actually, blue is used to make white all the time. I've used bluing since I was a kid to make white whites without laundry bleach because it's way cheaper.

    FB user: I can see how that makes sense to you.
    I like things that are not altered from their original form. Some people like chemicals in their food. I don't.

    Me: Oh uh... I'm not fighting food semantics with you, we have very different opinions on that, just saying blue makes sense especially with things that are yellowed. (Whites tend to yellow.)

    FB user: Blue and yellow make green.




    ... Wtf?!
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

    Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

    In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge
    Likes Hard, Ivy liked this post

  10. #220
    Emperor/Dictator kyuuei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    8
    Posts
    13,902

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    I would never make an argument for a raw food diet, and yes certain groups benefit from slightly different diets, probably for evolutionary reasons, not just the ability to digest milk but other things as well (for example, alcoholics can't control their alcohol consumption as easily as people who are not genetically pre disposed to alcoholism). I am referring to recent studies on dairy products and already stated that my intent is not to "convert" but to challenge the widely held (and commercially endorsed) American notion that milk is a wonder elixir. The fact that it produces mucus and can aggravate acne isn't philosophical, and neither are the most recent medical findings as of 2014...philosophy is avoiding milk for animal rights or religious or environmental reasons.

    The Japanese have a better diet than we do, as do Mediterranean people who consume dairy but in MUCH SMALLER quantities. Those are two of the best cultural diets found on earth for overall health and longevity.

    Paleos as well as vegans cut out dairy, as do some other people who still consume meat or eggs.
    They also have their issues too--mainly, that Japanese people (women particularly though) have TONS of bone issues in later life, and osteoporosis is a major thing being screened constantly in the asian community. That's nearly directly contributed to a low dairy diet without adequate supplementation. I've just spent all semester working with the chinese community center, And I had no idea it was a problem. But it is. Constipation and GI issues, herbal remedies mixing with modern medicines, and bone density issues were the three top complaints. Hardly no one had high blood sugar issues, which makes sense, but the bone aspect was clearly the biggest thing people were concerned about. People lined up out the door for that screening. No one diet is perfect in their approach.

    I love the Japanese diet, I eat it weekly at least, and mediterranean food whenever I get a chance, I'm not so great at cooking that way. But even though they're great diets and have noted benefits, it doesn't mean the Americans are totally off base with nothing to offer. Demonizing American food lately is somehow equivalent to demonizing fast food.. Fast food is a modern phenomenon and has little relations to what Americans ate once and eat now on a daily basis.

    Milk definitely creates mucus, that's well documented, but if you aren't currently suffering a cold, or respiratory distress of some sort, it really doesn't bother. I quit milk for 2 years, and my skin didn't clear, and my allergies didn't go away. Hormones and what time of the month it is had such a bigger influence on my acne. Saying "This could cause this" doesn't mean it's automatically to be avoided. Acne and mucus can also be easily alleviated with good hygiene (for the most part, acne is a whole other beast) and adequate hydration. So, if you hydrate and treat acne either way, why does milk sound like a bad thing? It doesn't. At least not to like a bazillion people out there.

    Everyone has their elixirs. For me it's orange juice, pho vietnamese soup, saline, and hydrogen peroxide as a gargle. I think those things are magical for colds, and they work for me every time. They aren't science.. but they don't have to be really for me. Everything is a cost benefit ratio. I'd much rather drink milk than not. I'd much rather cook food than eat it raw. Yet, there are people who'd disagree with me all over the place. I don't mind, and their valid. Just no more valid than I am with my pho soup.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

    Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

    In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 144
    Last Post: 02-19-2017, 10:54 PM
  2. 8 Cognitive Processes Dominant and 2ndary Interactions: What They Look Like
    By Usehername in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-26-2012, 12:23 PM
  3. Greetings of an INxx (trying to figure out what I am)
    By TenebrousReflection in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 10-05-2007, 01:56 AM
  4. Replies: 24
    Last Post: 09-25-2007, 09:34 PM
  5. Has anyone heard of Global Dimming and if so what are your thoughts on it??
    By ladypinkington in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 09-16-2007, 06:13 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO