• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Math Question

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What kind of math would result if 0 divided by any number is unsolvable, but any number divided by zero equals zero?

Tem

Enneagram
8w9
It would make me re-imagine the concept and perspective of infinity vs. nothingness

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It would make me re-imagine the concept and perspective of infinity vs. nothingness

Why is it claimed that any number divided by 0 = infinity? It's just undefined.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
0 = infinitesimal

so diving by zero = almost infinite number of fractions =infinity

Dividing by zero is literally not dividing at all, because there is literally nothing to divide by, even given that 0 is technically a number.

Alea_iacta_est

You can't find the inverse of nothing.

And that is because nothing is a quality of that which does not exist. It is merely a reference for those of us in the realm of existence to refer to things that are not currently, have not been currently, or will not be. Nothing, therefore, is the causation of the existence of existence, its juxtaposition (as nothing has no properties, and can not have an exact inverse).

Nothing, then, has no physical representation, nor does it exist.

Division is the process divulging the exact amount of times a number can go into a number.

If 0 represents the concept of nothing, then its absence of properties leads to the realization that no matter what number you divide by zero, there will never be an exact number of times zero can go into a number, for 0's absence of properties consequently means that it is devoid of any value. Thus, the only way to represent a division by zero, is by infinite, as that is the closest entity that can reach an exact inverse of something that is devoid of all value (that which contains all value, which is realistically improbable, something, which multiplied by zero, equals 1 (represented by (1/0)). It's the mathematical personification of the existential confusion arisen from Nothing versus Something (Something usually arising from Nothing).

To answer your main question: I would assume that the change would invert all coordinate plane graphs.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
And that is because nothing is a quality of that which does not exist. It is merely a reference for those of us in the realm of existence to refer to things that are not currently, have not been currently, or will not be. Nothing, therefore, is the causation of the existence of existence, its juxtaposition (as nothing has no properties, and can not have an exact inverse).

Division is the process divulging the exact amount of times a number can go into a number.

If 0 represents the concept of nothing, then its absence of properties leads to the realization that no matter what number you divide by zero, there will never be an exact number of times zero can go into a number, for 0's absence of properties consequently means that it is devoid of any value. Thus, the only way to represent a division by zero, is by infinite, as that is the closest entity that can reach an exact inverse of something that is devoid of all value (that which contains all value, which is realistically improbable, something, which multiplied by zero, equals 1 (represented by (1/0)). It's the mathematical personification of the existential confusion arisen from Nothing versus Something (Something usually arising from Nothing).

To answer your main question: I would assume that the change would invert all coordinate plane graphs.

I don't know what's existential about it. But I think the idea that the answer is 'infinite' or 'indeterminate' comes from the fact that the solution to 0/0 can be proven to amount to any Real, with its limit being at infinity.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I don't know what's existential about it. But I think the idea that the answer is 'infinite' or 'indeterminate' comes from the fact that the solution to 0/0 can be proven to amount to any Real, with its limit being at infinity.

Alea_iacta_est

Well, to be fair in this case, infinity technically doesn't represent a number, but a concept, as infinity is neither a variable or constant.

What makes your question interesting is the reversal that takes place in defining that which exists and that which doesn't.

If 0 divided by any number is undefined (represented by its inverse, 0/1), and 0 is still nothing, then 0 has value while the other numbers do not. It's an interesting thought.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Your response disappeared into cyberspace, but I got it in my email. If you define something that doesn't exist to be something that exists, is it necessarily the case for my question that something that exists has to be defined as something that doesn't exist?

yeghor

Well, to be fair in this case, infinity technically doesn't represent a number, but a concept, as infinity is neither a variable or constant.

What makes your question interesting is the reversal that takes place in defining that which exists and that which doesn't.

If 0 divided by any number is undefined (represented by its inverse, 0/1), and 0 is still nothing, then 0 has value while the other numbers do not. It's an interesting thought.
if 0 is infinitesimal, you cannot divide something that is already infinitesimal into further smaller parts.

so 0/n = 0 ie infinitesimall

actually infinity symbol represents something infinitely large whereas 0 represents sonething infinitely small.

so one is macro cosmos-infinity whereas the other is micro cosmos infinity.

where's [MENTION=21718]infinite[/MENTION]_ ?

yeghor

What kind of math would result if 0 divided by any number is unsolvable, but any number divided by zero equals zero?

It would perhaps represent a microcosmos or microuniverse, or perhaps the law of mathematics inside a black hole.

yeghor

so is n/0 equal to oblivion or beyond?

Does that then mean a mathetical reality where the rules are inverse of those our universe would be defining the reality of (or inside) oblivion?

Elocute

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4

I think this would in some ways reinvent set theory foundationally. By saying that something divided by zero is nothing, we state that we know that zero is no longer as it currently exists in the natural numbers.

For division, the operation is defined after 0, and the property is such that division by zero is not allowed because result cannot be mapped to any other numbers. 0 would have to take on something aside from nothing to make its division countable. In doing so, it would violate 0 being represted by an empty set. It would have to be something to divide itself, while be nothing in its current state, which would come to a contradiction,

Just a guess.

ygolo

My termites win

First there is an ambiguity in that setup. If we considered 0 to be part of any number then we don't know whether it should be unsolvable or zero. However, I'll consider it to mean 0 divided by any number other than 0 is unsolvable.

Math is the study of patterns. One example that follows this pattern is "pull up logic" (for example NMOS logic) in a circuit, when the resistor doing the pulling up is open...if we take the operation encoded by "divide" to mean "transition to", "0" being a voltage signifying a logic low, "any other number" being a logic high, and "unsolvable" being an unresolved logic level.