• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Inaptitude to use Google

The absolute worst is when people insist on navigating to Google when they want to search for something. IT'S LIKE THEY DON'T GET THE UNIVERSAL SEARCH BAR THAT'S SITTING RIGHT THERE.

Clicking instead of enter is also pretty bad.

Especially when someone below 30 is doing these things. -.-

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Useful google search tips

But seriously, I know what you mean. My parents have no idea how to use google. They'll search for something using the most vague and ambiguous terms possible and then complain that can't find what they're looking for. :doh: I've explained it over and over, but they still don't get it.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Moved a spat to OT posts, even though it was not exactly OT. But an on-topic spat about how to Google seemed expendable.

The usual applies: please be civil, if you can't then use ignore, &c &c.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm pretty good with Google but when it comes to technical instructions/details, I usually prefer to talk to a person that knows the answer. If they don't know the answer already, I don't expect/want them to look it up for me.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
It seems like a few years ago Google-fu was more of an art. Like you had to know how to best parse your search queries and use the plus and minus and quotes and whatnot to get the best results. Nowadays I seem to get the best results if I ask it a question, which makes me feel like it's 1997 and I'm using Ask Jeeves.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My google kung fu sucks pretty bad. I'm okay with finding basic information- definitions and/or instructions for things- but when it comes to looking for something specific (like information about a particular study, or some article I remember reading, etc) I almost invariably end up in the weeds.