• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is Teleportation Possible?

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
if this is happening, i'm getting in line now.

*sets up camp outside of lab*

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
if this is happening, i'm getting in line now.

*sets up camp outside of lab*

You can pre-order on Amazon.

Frink: I take it from that little impressed noise that you are interested in purchasing that matter transporter, sir.
Homer: Emm… Two bucks… And… It only transports matter… Um… Well ah… I'll give you thirty five cents.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
this would be cool. I was driving home from the dog park and I live right by the highschool which you have to drive past to get home and the middle school is a few blocks away so of course it was 3:30 and school was getting out and my thought was why don't they have teleporters? I hope they hurry up

Mole

Permabanned
Teleology

We have the telephone, and we have television, so teleporting seems the next step.

But before we go teleporting we might wonder how the telephone is transforming us, and how the television is transforming us.

And for the intellectuals amongst us we might wonder about teleology.

Teleology is a direction, a movement from a beginning, a middle, to an end. But applying teleology to the phone and the TV is like calling a car a horseless carriage. In fact the phone and the TV have no teleology, everything is coterminus. For instance, we are coterminus on different parts of the Earth on Typology Central.

The habit of thought called teleology is function of the book which has, as part of its nature, a beginning, a middle, and an end, so books are teleological. So we look at the new electronic media through the eyes of a literate individual, a teleological individual. So we apply tele- to the electric media in the same way we called a car a horseless carriage.

We drive forward looking in the rear vision mirror at the book, while the electric media is rushing towards us through the windscreen.

Bullet

I watched a documentary a while ago which indicated they were experimenting successfully with quantum teleportation on some islands off the coast of Africa. The article doesn't mention that it's not quite teleportation as we understand it from science fiction. Through the use of quantum entanglement, an identical copy of the atom is generated in a distant location, but the original completely dematerializes.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I watched a documentary a while ago which indicated they were experimenting successfully with quantum teleportation on some islands off the coast of Africa. The article doesn't mention that it's not quite teleportation as we understand it from science fiction. Through the use of quantum entanglement, an identical copy of the atom is generated in a distant location, but the original completely dematerializes.

I've known a few people to speculate that teleportation would work by destroying the original and recopying it. In the article, they said "vanish," but that's not what they meant? They destroyed and recopied it. So, if they wanted to teleport me in this way, I would have to die.

Bullet

I've known a few people to speculate that teleportation would work by destroying the original and recopying it. In the article, they said "vanish," but that's not what they meant? They destroyed and recopied it. So, if they wanted to teleport me in this way, I would have to die.

I'm having difficulty finding the documentary I was referring to, but the narrator suggested that if a person could be teleported via quantum teleportation, yes, essentially they would die and a copy of themselves would appear at a distant location. But the question arises, even if your molecular composition was reconstructed, would it still have all of your thoughts, memories, feelings etc...?

Last edited:

Mane

Permabanned
Teleporting a whole body using quantum entanglement is like trying to drive on the highway by blasting an Orion class nuclear propulsion. Sometimes a more low tech solution is actually more reasonable (If somewhat less flashy), and in the case of teleportation, a nanotech printer on one end and a molecular scanner on the other would probably do the trick. Quantum entanglement might still be useful for sending the information and perhaps even the buffer mass, without shouldering the requirement to teleport every atom to it's relative position.

Mane

Permabanned
But the question arises, even if your molecular composition was reconstructed, would it still have all of your thoughts, memories, feelings etc...?

Why wouldn't they? Everything we've seen so far suggests that those are all embodied within our structure. Copy the structure, you copy the inner workings it's structured to produce. Unless there was some part of the structure which wasn't accessible to us (a.k.a. soul).

I think there is a larger question, and that is of the continuity of self:
Someone told you that there is (or going to be) someone exactly like you, your body, your thoughts and feelings, your memories, the same digestive bacteria. Does that make your own self redundant? Would you be ok with shooting yourself because somewhere out there there's someone who is just like you? Are you the same person?

Mole

Permabanned
Why wouldn't they? Everything we've seen so far suggests that those are all embodied within our structure. Copy the structure, you copy the inner workings it's structured to produce. Unless there was some part of the structure which wasn't accessible to us (a.k.a. soul).

I think there is a larger question, and that is of the continuity of self:
Someone told you that there is (or going to be) someone exactly like you, your body, your thoughts and feelings, your memories, the same digestive bacteria. Does that make your own self redundant? Would you be ok with shooting yourself because somewhere out there there's someone who is just like you? Are you the same person?

Teleportation, even theoretically, requires one's death first.

But teleportation like telepathy is all part of the Woo Hoo of the narcissist.

There seems to be no end to narcissism and no end to Woo Hoo.

Mane

Permabanned
Teleportation, even theoretically, requires one's death first.

It comes down the old age argument of form vs. substance: If we maintain the form, are you still alive once we destroyed the substance? Are you the pattern or the atoms filling it?

But teleportation like telepathy is all part of the Woo Hoo of the narcissist.

There seems to be no end to narcissism and no end to Woo Hoo.

What does an anti-social mental disorder which prevents people from been able to see themselves and endorses unhealthy affirmation-seeking lifestyles has to do with the fantasy and/or science of teleporation? Is this because of William Shatner?

Mole

Permabanned
Are you the pattern or the atoms filling it?

I am incarnated. I am incarnated in my body. When my body dies, I die. When my body lives, I live.

When we are dissociated from our body, we imagine telepathy and teleporting, because they are divorced from our body.

Stephano

Almöhi
MBTI Type
NFP
Teleportation would mean that your body gets dematerialized into pure information which is then sent to another place at the speed of light. There you'll be materialized again. In other words you die and you come back to live again. The question is if you're still yourself after that or just something like a clone with the same genetic features and memories, but not the same consciousness.
Food for thought!

Caw the rooks

MBTI Type
ENTP
Teleportation in the typical sense, of copying the entire atomic structure of the body and reconstructing it elsewhere after disintegrating the original, wouldn't work, because it destroys consciousness; that is, the consciousness that's streaming through your brain right now, which is what you refer to as "I". The discontinuation of that will kill you off. The new, identical body will be an exact replica, but won't be you, as the consciousness - the first-person perspective - that makes up who you are has been discontinued. The new body will of course be conscious, and the experience will be almost exactly as it was when you were alive (as it is working off the same brain and body physiology, memories and thought patterns), but the prior experience or stream of consciousness (which is you) has been erased.

yeghor

It can be possible to jump one's consciousness to one's body in an alternate yet similar timeline or probable reality.

Jumping thru infinitely possible realities.