• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Domain Name and Webhosting

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Background story: I plan to create my own website for personal reasons as well as personal gratification. I plan to use it for either my political ramblings, or something bigger (if it is that "bigger" thing, it will probably require more than just me even though I have some personal experience with coding for websites layouts...etc.) If anything, it will showcase what I have done with my studies and interests, and may be a good way to say, hey, I've actually registered my own domain name, and have hosted it online, where I am showing you many of the things I've done leading til now.

However, I am unfamiliar with the process of getting domain names and what sort webhosting should I be looking at. I'd assume getting a domain name is typically cheap ($10-15.) However, getting a cheap and reliable webhosting, I am unsure about that. I'd assume [MENTION=8936]highlander[/MENTION] knows a lot more about webhosting?

There is just so many places that ICANN lists that I can register from, that i'm unsure about where to be going or registering my website name and where I should be hosting such a website.

Werebudgie

I want my account deleted
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
I'm WordPress oriented, so I can say that IF by chance you're doing a WordPress site, I use and recommend BlueHost. We have several sites with them, and they were the first host I ever used for a self-hosted WP site years ago. If memory serves, you could get the domain and hosting at the same time through them if you went that way and wanted to, or you can bring a domain to them and just get hosting.

(eta: IMO avoid GoDaddy. It's like the Walmart of web hosting)

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm WordPress oriented, so I can say that IF by chance you're doing a WordPress site, I use and recommend BlueHost. We have several sites with them, and they were the first host I ever used for a self-hosted WP site years ago. If memory serves, you could get the domain and hosting at the same time through them if you went that way and wanted to, or you can bring a domain to them and just get hosting.

(eta: IMO avoid GoDaddy. It's like the Walmart of web hosting)

I'll see. I'll probably get my own domain name first before asking for any hosting.

I won't be using GoDaddy because they have multiple views that I don't really like.