• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Nexus 7: Charging

G

Glycerine

I really like my Nexus but there is a slight issue. I have to try to remember to turn it off EVERY TIME I am not going to use it or the battery runs down and I have to charge it for 10+ hours for it turn on again. This time, I charged it for more than 10 hours and the white light is still blinking so I am trying other methods now (charging it through USB, changing cords, etc.). It will most likely turn on again but it's rather annoying.

Is this charging behavior typical of the Nexus?

Is it common among Android OS products?

G

garbage

There's a 7 already!?

I have a 5 and I've noticed abysmal battery life, too. Googling "Nexus 5 battery life" turns up a billion hits. It's a common and frustrating problem.

One issue has to do with applications not releasing the camera software handle when they're done with it--essentially, meaning that the camera software nitty-gritty is running a lot of the time (but not the hardware camera itself, so it's not capturing video/audio/pics constantly). Even installing Skype on the phone drains battery.

Thankfully, this:
Google went ahead and gave confirmation that they know about a flaw with the camera software on the Nexus 5. This also applies to other devices that are running the stock version of KitKat 4.4. The issue means that owners of the handsets feel them getting warm and the battery drains down fast on the handset. Google have said that they are working to fix the issue.
I'm sure a patch for 7 would be similar.

Also thankfully, it's not common to all Android products.

G

Glycerine

There's a 7 already!?

I have a 5 and I've noticed abysmal battery life, too. Googling "Nexus 5 battery life" turns up a billion hits. It's a common and frustrating problem.

One issue has to do with applications not releasing the camera software handle when they're done with it--essentially, meaning that the camera software nitty-gritty is running a lot of the time (but not the hardware camera itself, so it's not capturing video/audio/pics constantly). Even installing Skype on the phone drains battery.

Thankfully, this:

I'm sure a patch for 7 would be similar.

Also thankfully, it's not common to all Android products.

Thanks, awesome, that patch might be the future answer!

Yes. It's a tablet. It has a relatively good battery life (when in use) but you can't run the battery down/leave it idle for too long (like an hour or two) or else it takes a long time to charge (at least on mine). It's a bit nerve-racking because there is always a chance the tablet is dead (supposedly it's a safety mechanism to prevent battery damage by letting it charge slowly).

Apple has got Asus beat on battery technology/design. On some units, the battery gets loose when bumped because there is too much room in the battery compartment. Knowing what I know now, I would recommend the IPad Mini over the Nexus 7. haha

That's a relief.... I am hoping to own the Samsung Galaxy Note IV when it comes out. :) I will stay clear of Nexus products for awhile then (I trust Samsung a bit more over LG or Asus).

N

NPcomplete

That's pretty strange. I have a N7 2nd Generation and haven't run into these issues. I've left it unused for about a week or so and it had lost only 50 % of the battery. Do you leave the wifi and bluetooth on?

G

garbage

[MENTION=5109]Glycerine[/MENTION] my previous phone was a Note 2. I was a fan.

Before that, a Samsung S2. Was also a fan of that (after I rooted it).

Wife has a S3. She's a fan.

I didn't realize the Note 7 was a tablet. The issue, then, may or may not be similar to mine.

G

Glycerine

That's pretty strange. I have a N7 2nd Generation and haven't run into these issues. I've left it unused for about a week or so and it had lost only 50 % of the battery. Do you leave the wifi and bluetooth on?

Thank you! I have the same model. Yeah. I didn't think about the wifi thing. I usually have it on but not bluetooth. If and when it turns back on, I might do a complete reset to factory settings to see if there are some rogue apps draining the battery. Maybe there are some push notifications I have not checked into. Have you ever drained it to 0%? Did it charge back quickly?

N

NPcomplete

Thank you! I have the same model. Yeah. I didn't think about the wifi thing. I usually have it on but not bluetooth. If and when it turns back on, I might do a complete reset to factory settings to see if there are some rogue apps draining the battery. Maybe there are some push notifications I have not checked into. Have you ever drained it to 0%? Did it charge back quickly?

Oooh ok. Yes wifi is a big drain, specially if you have automatic updates on. I have a feeling the apps get updated very regularly so that could be another reason. And yes! Look into the push notifications. And maybe turn off Hangouts? Mine is usually off. Also close the apps you aren't using?

The closest to zero I've got was maybe 10 %. Hmm I don't remember how long it took to charge but it didn't take that long. Again, if you turn off wifi, it takes much less time to charge. :p I turn off wifi when I'm not using it because I receive emails on my phone as well so it's not that big of a deal for me. I'm not sure how it'll work for you.

I hope this works for you though!

G

Glycerine

Oooh ok. Yes wifi is a big drain, specially if you have automatic updates on. I have a feeling the apps get updated very regularly so that could be another reason. And yes! Look into the push notifications. And maybe turn off Hangouts? Mine is usually off. Also close the apps you aren't using?

The closest to zero I've got was maybe 10 %. Hmm I don't remember how long it took to charge but it didn't take that long. Again, if you turn off wifi, it takes much less time to charge. :p I turn off wifi when I'm not using it because I receive emails on my phone as well so it's not that big of a deal for me. I'm not sure how it'll work for you.

I hope this works for you though!

Awesome thanks! That was very helpful information. Mine charges fairly fast UNLESS I accidentally drain the battery. Word to the wise, if you ever get down to 0%, there will be a flashing white light at the bottom and it may or may not take the device 10+ hours to turn back on (it's happened like 3 or 4 times to me since January) even with the OEM charger.

N

NPcomplete

Awesome thanks! That was very helpful information. Mine charges fairly fast UNLESS I accidentally drain the battery. Word to the wise, if you ever get down to 0%, there will be a flashing white light at the bottom and it may or may not take the device 10+ hours to turn back on (it's happened like 3 or 4 times to me since January) even with OEM charger.

Haha thanks for that warning! I usually charge when it gets around 20 % but that one time it got to 10 % was because I watched tv shows non-stop while on transit. :p

G

Glycerine

I officially sent it into Asus because it wouldn't turn on after 2-3 days of charging. :cry: It may have been a defective battery after all.