• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Your Facebook nuisance

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Argg, my father aggravates the shit out of me on Facebook. The whole reason I originally signed on is to let the family know that I haven't died, because I'm not all that communicative, and there's too many people to notify of my lack of demise.

But, anything I post I get a comment from my dad, a laborious ask for explanation on throwaway status updates, helpful hints and suggestions on subjects I didn't request them for, uninsightful critiques on absolutely everything. I do love my father, but he is annoying.

Do you have anybody like that? How do you deal with it? Are you that?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If you want, you can block your dad by default from your feeds and only include him on things you think are important to him. Thus you could limit his input on things you don't see as a good expenditure of time for you. You could probably also restrict his ability to post on your Wall, but he would notice that, I suppose.

You can also have "the talk" with your dad. I had one with mine when I was in my mid/late 20's, because he was constantly telling me what to do and providing advice I didn't want or ask for, and I finally told him face to face that while I appreciated him caring enough to want to input, a lot of the time his advice came across as actually telling me what to do and being disappointed in me for not doing what he wanted, and I said I was an adult now and needed to make my own decisions for me and my family, and that I didn't want him automatically telling me what to do all the time anymore. (Of course, he was kind of whack and never engaged me on anything after that, sigh, but most people are more able to handle the changes and just need someone to say, "okay, here's how I want to relate," and they will try to adjust.)

I mean, it sounds like your dad wants to be involved and doesn't know how, so this is how he does it. You want to encourage that positive motivation somehow, while putting boundaries on when it is expressed so that it doesn't drive you crazy. Also, if there are things you can initiate with him that would be better than waiting for him to initiate through FB, then that would help as well.

My mom actually never friended me. I went with that, because we both hold different political views, and so we would probably just irk each other and there's no point in that. I talk to her once a week anyway on the phone, so it's not like we need FaceBook to talk. My life is not that interesting.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes, he definitely is trying to be involved. There was a large period of my life where he wasn't, and maybe he's making up for it, or maybe he's just retired and has a ton of time on his hands. It is sweet. And that's why I haven't blocked him.

I am aware of all those FB settings, but I don't want to fiddle with them. It'll encourage me to post up more and more personal things into my inner circle and then one day, I'll pick the wrong category and then I'll be EXPOSED. It'll happen. :D

I'm considering just getting a kind of learning how to respond in such ways that might lighten his 'contributions'.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes, he definitely is trying to be involved. There was a large period of my life where he wasn't, and maybe he's making up for it, or maybe he's just retired and has a ton of time on his hands. It is sweet. And that's why I haven't blocked him.

I am aware of all those FB settings, but I don't want to fiddle with them. It'll encourage me to post up more and more personal things into my inner circle and then one day, I'll pick the wrong category and then I'll be EXPOSED. It'll happen. :D

I'm considering just getting a kind of learning how to respond in such ways that might lighten his 'contributions'.

Can't you mentally ignore things like that?

B

beyondaurora

It'll encourage me to post up more and more personal things into my inner circle and then one day, I'll pick the wrong category and then I'll be EXPOSED. It'll happen. :D

This is exactly why I've "quit" FB recently. I can't live in constant fear of my worlds colliding (in the Seinfeldian sense), and I'm in too deep to de-friend those certain someones.

Good luck. :)

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I rarely update my facebook.and I'm friends with my parents on there but they're pretty hands off, unless I post a picture or article they like, and if I post that's all I ever post with the occasional song. But I also talk to my parents on the phone and through text regularly I talk to my mom every day to every other day, my brothee once a week, and my dad sporadically, though my dad's never been emotionally available but he's good if you have a tech question, a medical question, or a finance question. But to talk about your feelings or what's going on not so much, but my mom and brother are great for that.

V

violaine

Yes, I do! I have a few very dramatic relatives who regularly air things out on FB. Holy god, it is cringeworthy.

But they're my relatives, so I want to hang in there for them. They have really supported me and never judge me. <3. I feel kinda bad even writing this, but it is something to see when they're all going at it. :shocking: I duck and cover.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My family is awesome. My boyfriends mom I love to death but she's like super fe on Facebook. Like long showy sentimental sappy proclamations of love and stuffs. My fi can barely take it but I'm a good scroller.

N

ndovjtjcaqidthi

The solution of the problem of facebook is seen in the vanishing of the problem.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
All the garbage that goes with social networking sites is exactly why I refuse to ever join FB or Google+, etc.
People who want to contact me know how. What else matters?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
All the garbage that goes with social networking sites is exactly why I refuse to ever join FB or Google+, etc.
People who want to contact me know how. What else matters?

Over time I've filtered out the garbage. I have only friends whose posts I like to read and respond to. Anything with food, babies, lol cats, smarmy stuff, is blocked.

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
You could just create another account for yourself and keep the family one for updating from time to time for its purpose.

G

garbage

If someone would get all fussed about me removing them from Facebook, then they would have just further justified my decision to do so.

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
When I anticipate unwanted feedback from particular individuals I just block them from seeing the posts... But like you said, this does run teh risk of accidentally showing people things you don't want to... But, that's the only solution I can think that doesn't involve having a conversation with your dad about it.