• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Help Me!!!!

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
I have an iPod Touch that until recently has synced to my computer's iTunes without a hitch. I installed an update to iTunes on my computer and I have bought a few things in the iTunes store on my iPod. Other than that, nothing to my knowledge has changed. Because it won't sync now, I have tried several things - turning both the computer and iPod off (numerous times), disconnecting the iPod and then turning the computer on and opening iTunes before plugging the iPod in. No luck. I have mucked around with settings, both on the iPod and in my iTunes. It will say that it is syncing the iPod with iTunes, but then a moment later insist that the device cannot be found, even though it is listed on the screen. I have gone on a couple of forums where people are having the same problem but have found no satisfactory solution. I figured if anyone would know, it would be the wonderful folks of Type C.

Also, I was wondering how I can take audio files in my email and transfer them to iTunes. Any advice would be most appreciated. I have to learn about 30 tunes, all from different CDs and would like to make up a playlist to listen to in the car tomorrow on my way to the city.

Thanks a million

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
1. Make sure you're using an official Apple cable. This can cause problems. The newer iPhone cables have little microprocessors in the end that authenticate them as actual Apple products.
2. Option: Pay $25 for iTunes Match and it will sync your files from iTunes to the cloud and then you can sync all your songs to your phone via Wifi.
3. You may also be able to sync your files over Wifi if you're plugged into a power source, without iTunes Match, so try plugging your phone into a wall outlet and see if it pops up in iTunes over Wifi.

On the second question, if the audio files are in your email, you should be able to drag them into iTunes, which will add them to your iTunes library.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
The most recent one that they offered. I updated it last night.

I am using the original charging cable the iPod came with. I will try doing the wall thing and report back. Failing that I'll suck it up and pay the $27 something. Thanks!

93JC

The only thing you've changed is iTunes, so I would suggest starting there first.

Make sure that your iPod isn't trying to sync with a non-existent iCloud account, and is instead syncing with the computer. The latest iTunes version may have changed the default settings in this respect, and you'll have to change them back.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
1. What computer operating system are you using?

2. What type of cable are you using to connect your iPod to the computer?

3. Assuming USB cable, can you connect another device to the same cable or USB port on the computer and access that device from the computer?

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Thanks so much everyone.
[MENTION=71]JAVO[/MENTION]

Windows 7, I believe.

The cable it came with, which is the kind with the mini end on it.

No I can't - I have an iPod Touch 5th gen, but only a 3rd gen iPhone. Don't have anything else that uses that mini cord.

Everyone else:

To the other suggestions - If I uninstall and reinstall iTunes, do I lose all the stuff I paid for? If I restore everything to factory settings on my iPod, do I lose all the data on it?

Oh, and I have a PC.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
Definitely try the stuff YWIR mentioned first.

Here's how to reset the ipod: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1320 It says only some custom settings will be lost.

If all of that doesn't work, see if you can find something which uses a USB cable and connect it to the same place on your computer as the iPod cable was connected. Then, see if you can fully access that device. (As in, if it's a digital camera, can you see the device when you open the "My Computer" icon on the desktop?)

If you can't, you might give this a try to see if it fixes it:

1. backup your windows registry because this is a bit risky!

2. follow this procedure

I haven't actually done all of this myself, but reading through it, it makes sense.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
I reset the ipod, but that didn't fix things. I am going to uninstall and reinstall itunes, but am unsure how to do so. Do I go to programs on my computer and uninstall there?

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Okay, thanks. Got that done. On my computer, the files for the CDs I downloaded there show up, but in gray as it is syncing the iPod with it and then nothing changes. Ditto for any changes I made to names of songs/albums/files. Any ideas?

93JC

Are the songs you downloaded on iCloud or are they on the computer's hard drive?

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Are the songs you downloaded on iCloud or are they on the computer's hard drive?

Well, I have iCloud for data storage with my iPod, but I didn't buy the iMatch thing that Apple wants you to. How do you tell?